E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Exhaust leak between turbo and cat

01-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep
Drives: e46

Exhaust leak between turbo and cat

2006 e91 (German 320d)
I had a small exhaust leak between the cat and the turbo (at the strange joint with the ring collar). Somehow the fumes are getting sucked into the cabin with the AC/Heat intake at the base of the windshield. I got tired of fighting the fumes and took it to a local shop. They pulled the cat and turbo out and called me telling me that I should replace the turbo because they thought it was not joining correctly to the cat. They couldn't guarantee me that it wasn't the CAT causing the joint problem. I didn't want to throw out 1200 euros on their guessing game. Told them to bolt it all back up and I would figure it out. When I go to pick it up they tell me that they found a gasket in an extra gasket kit from a 5 series sitting around the shop, so they put a gasket between the cat and the turbo connection for me. I couldn't find a drawing showing this missing gasket, and neither could they. They said it looks like work was done in the past and someone forgot to put a gasket back in there. Can anyone confirm that a gasket goes between the cat and turbo? By the way, now my exhaust is much worse..Not sure what to do. Also I'm not sure why the fumes are coming into the cabin to begin with. The long gasket under the hood looks to be in good shape. The two side gaskets look fine too. Fumes are getting sucked into the cabin intake somehow. Advice?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep
Drives: e46

Thumbs up

Solved last month.
Yes, some drawings show the gasket. When buying a new V-Band clamp online, it usually tells you that you should buy the gasket too. (I didn't buy a clamp)

Well I took the gasket out. Re-shaped the damaged V-Band (someone had not seated it properly over the turbo-DPF union and bent many of the features trying to tighten it in spite of the improper seating). I got the V-Band seated properly and tightened it up (no gasket in between) and haven't had a problem with exhaust fumes in the cabin since!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
bmw-extreme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

I have same problem with M47tu2 engine in my 2005 320d. However there's no dpf in my car. A catalytic converter is installed, and no any gasket showing in parts catalogue. Is that gasket only available for dpf installed M47 engines?
Appreciate 0