E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Just got my Performance suspension installed!

10-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
TxBeem
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Just got my Performance suspension installed!

I had ordered the old Performance struts with Performance springs. I had thought about letting my stealership do the install so there is no warranty issues but the price they quoted made me vomit. So I found an indie and he did a superb job for 1/2 the cost

I picked it up yesterday and immediately I felt a tauter, tighter suspension. The ride is somewhat similar to the old sport but more responsive to the bumps and road variations. On a smooth part of a highway where it curves I nailed it and I had a huge grin on my face. The car was securely planted as I was doing nearly 80mph thru it. Before I would have to cruise thru it at 70 with my foot hovering over the break just in case, know what I mean? My wife drove it last night and she said it drives like it's on rails. Kinda funny hearing that from my wife as she drives a big SUV. But it does! I'm fairly happy with it. Overall I would give the performance and ride an 8 out of 10. This is in comparison to cars I have driven like m3,m5, cayman, 911, mustang, and e92 with eibach springs.

I only wish that the suspension kit lowered the car. I measured (pre-Performance) from hub to bottom of fender L-front: 14, R-front:14, L-rear:13.6, R-rear:13.75 with 1/2 tank of gas. Post measurements were identical except L-reAr is now 13.75.

I didnt want a slammed look or even any lower than with eibachs but was hoping for just 1/2 inch drop all around. Don't seem to have that. Hopefully it will settle? This is the only reason why I am not 100% sastisfied. Now I will slap my new 19inchers on and see if that will make the appearance any more aggressive. But heck, it does drive REALLY well!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
no, for 1/2 inch drop, you will need some springs. the struts itself will not lower the car even it is settled. i have the same setup as yours, the old perf suspension kit and i pair them with a set of bmw perf yellow springs. my car is lowered about 1/2 inch which i like. and the the the perf yellow springs have a slight heavier spring rate so it's a little more tighter feel.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
TxBeem
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
no, for 1/2 inch drop, you will need some springs. the struts itself will not lower the car even it is settled. i have the same setup as yours, the old perf suspension kit and i pair them with a set of bmw perf yellow springs. my car is lowered about 1/2 inch which i like. and the the the perf yellow springs have a slight heavier spring rate so it's a little more tighter feel.
We have the exact same setup, how come mine did not drop that 1/2 inch? I know the install was done correctly b/c it drives great and there is no weird noise that may suggest improper
install
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBeem View Post
We have the exact same setup, how come mine did not drop that 1/2 inch? I know the install was done correctly b/c it drives great and there is no weird noise that may suggest improper
install
i think after the install, the rear should be noticeable right away, the front is barely notice from naked eye. but yes, give it a few time to settle, and it should at least drop a little in the front. mine looks very similar to ZSP unless you pay very detail attention to it.

here is my pic on the other thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=65
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
here is another 2 angles of the car, you should notice the rear more than the front and mine is fully settled by now, it's been 2 months on the suspension. PS, im running on 18s so mind the gap maybe slightly bigger than running 19s, i assume.

as you can see it looks very ZSP stock alike, with only a very minor drop.
i thought about the front lower spring perches to drop another 1/4-1/2 inch in the front but that's too much of the work and i don't want to possibly ruin the setup, so i live with the height as it is.

yes the setup made the car drives better than ZSP, at high speed, the car remains very stable on the road, but at low speed (<50mph) and bumpy road, gosh... it could make the passenger feels somewhat annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
psre08
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 & 330Ci E46

This makes me feel much better. I just swapped my base springs and shocks for ZSP springs and shocks and I'm a little disappointed that the drop is not more noticeable in the front. But knowing that it's normal puts me at ease.

I'm pleased with the rear though and the car feels tighter on the road, but that gap in front is going to bug me. I'm running on 19s, so I guess I can't really escape the gap unless I go for tighter springs in front or drop a size to 18.
Appreciate 0