E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > World Superbikes 2013

02-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
World Superbikes 2013

Was up at 4am to watch the WSB qualifying from Phillip Island in beautiful HD. Shame Chaz didnt go so well on his BMW but Marco definitely has the pace and bike seems to be going ok bar the front end chatter - have to say i love Carlos and the Panigale looked and sounded sublime - i think Eugene on RSV4 could be a real contender this year but you can never discount Carlos the salty old sea dog!! Dont like the Gold Bet colour scheme on the BMW so will be sticking to my BMW Motorrad Motorsport colours on my track bike for sure - will be keeping a close eye on Marco on his number 33 but fingers crossed Chaz can keep on the pace and fire in some decent finishes - i was surprised to see Jonny Rea struggling on the Honda but you can never count him out, that guys got huge conkers and never gives up - glad his team mate Leon is going fairly well with the new team esp after a bad end to the 2012 season with BMW - and fingers crossed for good old Tom Sykes, love that bloke, love his riding style and ive always had a soft spot for the Kwaka and would love to see him win it this year and bring it home for the Brits - however, as always, its a long season and anything can happen
Attached Images

02-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
Giff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Is it on any terrestrial channels this year?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Not sure? Eurosport HD all the way for me!!
      02-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Was up early am to watch the races - amazing first race - nasty incident with Carlos and Marco, hope Carlos is ok, he was definitely knocked unconscious hence why he didnt make race 2 but that Panigale was going very well and looked like it was going to be on the podium for sure - good to see Marco mixing it up in race 2 on the BMW and loved the comments by Jamie and Jack that the bike sounded like a "low flying jet" when it went down the start/finish straight - Aprilia obviously stole the whole show and weekend with amazing race results - great to see Sylvain Guintoli being so competitive at mixing it up at the sharp end again, he's a great guy (even if he is French!!) and he deserved the one/two - hope Tom Sykes manages to work around his broken hand and get some wins under his belt as the season goes. Good to see Eugene bag the win in Race 2.
Fingers crossed they dont decide to cancel the Silverstone UK round as that would be a real shame - not sure what the issue is but its bound to revolve around money/politics as per usual!! Roll on Round 2
      02-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I haven't watched World Superbikes for a long time. Last year watched BSB and Moto GP. Prefered BSB in all honesty.

UK circuits are still old Skool and exciting, the international circuits a little boring and smooth.

But still enjoyed MOTO gp just not as much as BSB
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Gotta say I'm with Carlos on this. Love the UK circuits.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

No Rossi?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
No Rossi?
What do you mean fella?? Rossi is back with Yamaha this season - riding alongside Lorenzo - so should be interesting to see a) how Rossi and Lorenzo marry with one another as "team" mates and, b) will Rossi be able to work the same magic with this evolution of Yamaha as he did when he rode for them before??

But as i say, im not sure what you mean by No Rossi? Hope the above explains?
      02-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I haven't watched World Superbikes for a long time. Last year watched BSB and Moto GP. Prefered BSB in all honesty.
UK circuits are still old Skool and exciting, the international circuits a little boring and smooth.
But still enjoyed MOTO gp just not as much as BSB
I am THE biggest BSB fan and always have been from day dot - i love the fact that the bikes are pretty much identical to my own track bikes, ive ridden pretty much all the same circuits they ride and when you go and watch the races live, despite the fact i always get given hospitality via one team or another, you can walk straight up to your hero's and shake their hands! I also love the fact that the racing is as close as its gonna get and there is always excitement and death defying brilliance on track.

WSB is a very much watered down version of what it used to be and ive noticed the racing getting more bland - doesnt seem to have the excitement and buzz that BSB has. That said i always watch it and will always follow it.

MotoGP is obviously the 2 wheel version of F1 but again its been lacking something of late. Ive been lucky enough to attend some races live and even with my hospitality privileges you still rarely get close to the riders without feeling that you're really hassling them and getting in their way (and im talking about testing/qualifying not race day itself) - and you just feel far removed from the whole thing. I appreciate its probably the same thing with F1 but when you consider these guys have come from such humble beginnings as BSB etc then you'd hope they might remember its the fans that have made them the super stars they are now. Anyway, again, i still love MotoGP and to see and hear those bikes in the flesh makes the hairs stand properly to attention!!!

Ps: i am SO excited to see what Marc Marquez can do on the Repsol Honda - that guy is a future legend and it will be interesting to see how the racing dynamic will pan out between himself, Pedrosa, Rossi and Lorenzo - and fingers crossed Cal will be sticking it to them all as often as he can!!!

That said - if there was a recording clash between BSB, WSB and MotoGP - then BSB would take preference every day of the week!!
      02-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Steve, Marquez is going to do big things over the next few years and I really can't wait to witness it.

I rate Ianone also, but his height/weight goes against him. He is a very naturally talented rider. I wish him much luck in the future.

Shame Sic isn't about anymore, so sad about his Demise. He would have really shone last year.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
I am THE biggest BSB fan and always have been from day dot - i love the fact that the bikes are pretty much identical to my own track bikes
You must have some seriously tricked up track bikes, because let's face it, the race bikes are a long long way from standard.
      02-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmondo View Post
You must have some seriously tricked up track bikes, because let's face it, the race bikes are a long long way from standard.
Yes. Hence why i made the comment!!

And my usual track bikes are also a "long way from standard!"

In actual fact the BSB bikes (which is where my remark was aimed) are not a million miles from the road bikes they are derived from. Yes they are worth ten times the value (components/R&D etc) but in essence and power BHP they are certainly not night and day. And if you take my current steed - BMW S1000RR Sport - with just the exhaust and PCV 5 fitted it was giving out 198 BHP on the dyno with an engine thats only just run in! With only a bit more tweaking and not a huge amount of expense its going to be nipping at the heels of the BSB power outputs. That aside, its lightening quick straight out of the crate regardless.
      02-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
It's going to be an interesting year.

Lorenzo topping testing times at the moment in Sepang from Pedrosa is no surprise. Cal is up the front, but then the bike will be basically the same spec as the factory one at the start of the season, and how long will that last?

Rossi is closer to the front, but has he really still got it? I hope so, because if nothing else he is a character. Take nothing from Lorenzo and Pedrosa, but a flamboyant character at the sharp end brings so much more to a series.

Moto2 is always worth a watch as well. Can Redding string it together this year? At the sharp end in testing like last year, but needs to get some steady results (and a bigger bike).

... and don't forget that it's only 86 days until the TT! Michael Dunlop on the TT Legends bike. Will Norton race this year? Can Guinness win again?

Then longer term, what will the changes that Dorna are bringing to WSB now they own it do in real terms?

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #14
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Has Rossi still got it!!?? How very dare you Sir!!? Do bears shit in the woods?? As i said, Marquez is the guy to watch this year and that on its own should put a rocket up Vales arse!
Hear what youre saying about Dorna - also, do we know yet if Silverstone will still go ahead - there were rumours that there might not even be a UK round this year!!
      02-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #15
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
It is going to be a really interesting year for MotoGP. Being a long-time huge fan and never missing a race, I found I was getting quite bored half way through a few this year.

Probably because I'm a Rossi fan

Either way, hopefully this will mix it up a bit this year. Rossi's big issue is the electronics and lightweight competitors. They can wind it up out the corners without having to learn the finite control people like Rossi have. Least he can do them on the brakes, until they put in ABS I guess. He mentioned race tactics are now defunct, its all about going 100% all the time, never holding back and following like the old days. Dump the traction control I say!

Also wish they would bring in a minimum weight to even the field for people like Dani and Marquez. Loved his last Moto2 race, crazy to see him fly from the back.

Really hope Rossi beats Lorenzo, can't stand him, but can't see it happening unfortunately with the current regs.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #16
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In actual fact the BSB bikes (which is where my remark was aimed) are not a million miles from the road bikes they are derived from. Yes they are worth ten times the value (components/R&D etc) but in essence and power BHP they are certainly not night and day. And if you take my current steed - BMW S1000RR Sport - with just the exhaust and PCV 5 fitted it was giving out 198 BHP on the dyno with an engine thats only just run in! With only a bit more tweaking and not a huge amount of expense its going to be nipping at the heels of the BSB power outputs. That aside, its lightening quick straight out of the crate regardless.
I still think BSB bikes are a long way off the road bikes, it's way more than being about outright power but lets not drag the thread off topic

I've not watched any bike racing for a long time. Used to do the long weekends camping at Brands for WSB along with BSB and GP around the country. We even had space in one of the boxes along the start finish straight at Brands for one season but I have to say you lose a lot of the atmosphere.

I'd love to get back to doing a few trackdays too again. Love Brands and Cadwell the most.
      02-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #17
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmondo View Post
I still think BSB bikes are a long way off the road bikes, it's way more than being about outright power but lets not drag the thread off topic
Des, for the last time, if you read what i wrote i didnt say they were similar to "road" bikes - i was comparing them to MY own TRACK bikes, which trust me are a FAR cry from standard road bikes but not a million miles from a BSB guise. Hope you've finally caught up now fella and get the gist!!? And Ive no problem it going off thread as its my thread, LOL!!

Take your point about losing atmosphere by being in a box etc - i always get hospitality due to various connections i have and as much as its very welcome when you beat all the queues getting in/out of circuit, the food/beer and its somewhere to hide from the rain etc, i will always invariably get down from the top of the trucks viewing platform and get closer in amongst it.

I assume you mean Brands GP when talk about favourite tracks as the Indy circuit is tedious. I also love Cadwell but i often struggle to get the right lines through the Mountain section but on a dry sunny summers day when its dialled in theres few better circuits.

If you do fancy dusting down the leathers and getting back on track, give me a shout and maybe we can hook up.
      02-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
Rickygst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Here in the states, speed didn't show the race. Gotta find a way to see them'
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Has Rossi still got it!!?? How very dare you Sir!!? Do bears shit in the woods?? As i said, Marquez is the guy to watch this year and that on its own should put a rocket up Vales arse!
Hear what youre saying about Dorna - also, do we know yet if Silverstone will still go ahead - there were rumours that there might not even be a UK round this year!!
I very much hope that you're right as the sport needs it. At the moment its all practice, and we know that when the flag drops he'll ride the wheels off the bike if he can.

Marquez will be interesting to watch. Pedrosa is a quick rider, but I don't see him ever taking the title. He just doesn't seem to be able to put together a full season and when he falls he doesn't bounce well. Honda need someone to take the fight to Yamaha. Third fastest in the latest test... have they found their man?

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #20
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In actual fact the BSB bikes (which is where my remark was aimed) are not a million miles from the road bikes they are derived from.
Quote:
Des, for the last time, if you read what i wrote i didnt say they were similar to "road" bikes
To be fair your very first post did mention your own track bikes but your quote above mentioned BSB and road bikes. But yeah, you've cleared it up now

Anyhow....I actually do like Brands indy. I know what you mean about it being a little tedious, but it's still a great little circuit. I've only done Brands GP a couple of times.

I've not ridden for 8 years now, I'd probably be dangerous out on track again
      03-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
Giff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickygst View Post
Here in the states, speed didn't show the race. Gotta find a way to see them'
The full races are on Youtube.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
MotoGP - gotta love the comment by Rossi about Marquez...

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/188...uez_rossi.html

Also love the bit where it says riders "usually" slow down when a rival rider is right behind them so as not to give too much info away etc - but Rossi and Marquez just went flat out - love it!!!