E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Breaking News: BMW addresses N54 Turbo Lag!!

01-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #111
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
huh? Why call BMW NA? Just go to your dealer and get the fix.

It honestly hurts my head why you would say there are no fixes as of January 09, when A) it's in Roundel B) We said there was a fix coming a while ago, due in January, and C) there are literally over 100 posts pertaining to people getting the fix and the results.

WAKE UP
Ezat,

For what it's worth, one of those 100 posts is me explicitly stating that my dealership is claiming that they are being told by corporate that more testing is required and that it has not been officially released to them.

Whether what they are telling us is true or not, it puts many of us in situations not nearly as fortunate as you. Can you really fault him for calling BMWNA for trying to pursue the issue? What if you were in my shoes, and saw everyone with the fix, and your dealer blatantly told you: "We're aware of it, we know precisely what you're talking about, but have been told it's not ready for release, we'll call you when it is". And you saw (as you mention) the 100s of posts with people receiving 2.32.1 lag free updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #112
sailvi767
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95BMWM3(full Dinan) 2007 Z4MC

The new software will not stop you from running a piggyback. It will simply keep people from lying and cheating BMW on warranty work. Hopefully that will result in a better service experience for those that are honest about the mods they have.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #113
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

Updated Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisivan View Post
Ezat,

For what it's worth, one of those 100 posts is me explicitly stating that my dealership is claiming that they are being told by corporate that more testing is required and that it has not been officially released to them.

Whether what they are telling us is true or not, it puts many of us in situations not nearly as fortunate as you. Can you really fault him for calling BMWNA for trying to pursue the issue? What if you were in my shoes, and saw everyone with the fix, and your dealer blatantly told you: "We're aware of it, we know precisely what you're talking about, but have been told it's not ready for release, we'll call you when it is". And you saw (as you mention) the 100s of posts with people receiving 2.32.1 lag free updates.
Thanks, I appreciate your understanding of the issue at hand. Just out of protocol; I did verify with my service rep 20 minutes ago about the software. No release has been made to them. They were quite clear about this and apologized due to the ongoing agony; not just because of the bad fuel pump that was just replaced. I get a sneaking suspicion there are quite a few guinea pigs out there and something definitely is WRONG. I think a whole new batch of issues will be hatched....hopefully the turbos are safe.

To be continued.............
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #114
BSJoker101
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Turbo Lag fixed

I own a 335i coupe and work on BMW's as well. I just programmed mine today and the difference is awesome, after you shift it's ready immediately for more. It made it hard to drive hard without spinning the wheels even with only DTC on. It's like I remembered how the N54 motor felt when it first came out, it made me want to buy one. Mine was built with the lagging software from the factory, so it never really felt that good. Now its back big time and I only regret that I had to drive the car 17,000 miles with that detuned crap software all so people wouldnt complain about a little bit of noise. The reason why the new software is only available in some places is that BMW is in the process of switching over to a new diagnostic software and hardware platform. It was suppposed to be set up everywhere by 1/16/09, but even our dealer isnt using it yet. My car was the first one to be programmed in my shop with the new platform and thats only because I knew that the version 32 would take care of the turbo lag. None of the other techs are even using it yet. Luckily it seems like it works well and if your dealer doesn't have the new software within another month or so as they probably all will then you need to find one that does.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #115
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Anyone out there gotten the update and use SSTT? Does it affect it in anyway?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #116
NoSoupForU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 LCI 335i

Do all 09 335i's get the new software from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #117
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoupForU View Post
Do all 09 335i's get the new software from the factory?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #118
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep

New Software

As expected; the software or new upgrade did not work. Typical BMW noise; just received word "another" new software should be available in two weeks. Anybody else receiving this kind of noise? These cars will never be fixed; definitely not even close to being "production ready". One thing after another.

To be continued with a lawyer's point of view; tomorrow is going to be a sweet day for me; Bad Day for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #119
MrChessy
Magical Pill...
United_States
Rep
Drives: wreckless

Yes, I will go in the route of a laws suit also. Since my cousin is a lawyer in civil cases, I'm sure he won't charge me anything to sue these assholes(stealership). It will definitely, be a multi-million dollars law suit based on the grounds of false advertising pertaining to their website as turbo-lag free.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...3+feH/dAhfcw==

Finally, acknowledging the issue from them is one thing, but delaying the resolution is another. Bmw better buckle up because they're in for a bumpy ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #120
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChessy View Post
Yes, I will go in the route of a laws suit also. Since my cousin is a lawyer in civil cases, I'm sure he won't charge me anything to sue these assholes(stealership). It will definitely, be a multi-million dollars law suit based on the grounds of false advertising pertaining to their website as turbo-lag free.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...3+feH/dAhfcw==

Finally, acknowledging the issue from them is one thing, but delaying the resolution is another. Bmw better buckle up because they're in for a bumpy ride.
Dude.. don't be a fool and waste your time and your cousin's time... Suing the dealership is pointless, they did not manufacture the car and are not responsible for BMW's advertising..
As for suing BMW

Good luck to you
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #121
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Dude.. don't be a fool and waste your time and your cousin's time... Suing the dealership is pointless, they did not manufacture the car and are not responsible for BMW's advertising..
As for suing BMW

Good luck to you
Wasn't this how people got BMW to man up and provide a 100k/6yr warranty on pre-2003.5 model year M3s? They certainly fought it tooth and nail for quite a while, I doubt they just did a volte face of their own accord and issued the service bulletin and extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #122
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagMode335i View Post
As expected; the software or new upgrade did not work. Typical BMW noise; just received word "another" new software should be available in two weeks. Anybody else receiving this kind of noise? These cars will never be fixed; definitely not even close to being "production ready". One thing after another.

To be continued with a lawyer's point of view; tomorrow is going to be a sweet day for me; Bad Day for BMW.

What do you mean --- do you mean that you got your programmed to the new version and that it's not working? Or that BMW is claiming that they're not ready to upgrade you yet, because there is a new version coming out?

All of that is bullcrap. ISTA/P 2.32.1 with the wastegate conversion is what is required and will work. You need to follow this in the other thread, not this one here.

Go to the 335 turbo engine forum and look at the sticky thread, read the last 3-4 pages and you'll be up to speed and can bring the BMW document to your dealership if needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #123
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01 View Post
Wasn't this how people got BMW to man up and provide a 100k/6yr warranty on pre-2003.5 model year M3s? They certainly fought it tooth and nail for quite a while, I doubt they just did a volte face of their own accord and issued the service bulletin and extended warranty.
Very different situation, those pre 2003.5 M3 had serious issues... Not winy owners compaining about some turbo lag that cannot be measured or quatified... By the way, I have the lag and have been complaining about it for long time... Just trying to tell you that suing BMW will get you no where
with this one
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #124
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep

New Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisivan View Post
What do you mean --- do you mean that you got your programmed to the new version and that it's not working? Or that BMW is claiming that they're not ready to upgrade you yet, because there is a new version coming out?

All of that is bullcrap. ISTA/P 2.32.1 with the wastegate conversion is what is required and will work. You need to follow this in the other thread, not this one here.

Go to the 335 turbo engine forum and look at the sticky thread, read the last 3-4 pages and you'll be up to speed and can bring the BMW document to your dealership if needed.
Sorry buddy; I am way up to speed and ahead of the curve. Simply put; the NEW VERSION of software did NOT work on my 335i. The SA said the car would not take it; this is probably why it is so slow to be released to all dealers. No other reason. The SA said a new "new version" of software might be available soon. So here's the truth to all BMW 335i owners if you have turbo lag; there is a possibility this new software may not work on the car. It really makes no difference to me; I am just stating what happened to me. My car will soon be a buy-back due to so many problems. Good luck to you all who keep your ride. It's a fun car to drive, but too many days in the shop...and if I kept it, too many more days in the shop for the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 06:17 AM   #125
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

I just got the update performed on my car... unfortunately no confirmation its 32...
and my car has lag at every RPM. It's kinda tough to get info out of my local dealer and i dont want to push it with them. When i return for the dinan update I'll find out exactly what version was installed... I suspect it s <V32

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #126
jfarnkopf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

update

I just got my car back from the dealer as it had several Active Steering Malfunctions. The description of the service read that they reprogramed car per GWCODE 150809414 and programed car with CAS to VER 32.1.
I immediately noticed that the car's engine sounded louder from inside the cabin. I also noticed the 1st gear was entirely different. Instead of the herky-jerky action that I had in the past, the shifty was extremely smooth. I think that the car appeared lag free and much quicker.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #127
bkostelecky
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

I have a 2007 335i sedan and bought it in April of 07, I'm wondering if I've always had the turbo lag. Can someone describe what the lag feels like to drive with? I've wondered if the herky-jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd gears was normal.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #128
rideontwo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkostelecky View Post
I have a 2007 335i sedan and bought it in April of 07, I'm wondering if I've always had the turbo lag. Can someone describe what the lag feels like to drive with? I've wondered if the herky-jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd gears was normal.

Depends on a lot of factors. Herky-Jerky from 1st to 2nd in a BMW is normal, this is a feature of the Clutch delay valve. You car maybe bought in April 2007, but when was it manufactured? In addition, has your dealer ever done any ECU updates on your car? Check your paperwork/repair orders from dealership visits. Once you nail down these variables you'll be able to get a clearer picture.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #129
jfarnkopf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

lag

my car was weird, when i shifted into first gear and stepped on the gas, i immediately felt the torque, then it backed off a second, then increased again. It felt like when I got it into first it immediately should be shifted into second. Its not easy to describe but it felt the the car should go from neutral to second gear.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #130
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

Update Works

I have an 08/2007 production 335i. I installed the alarm kit myself and paid my dealer about $100 to update the software to make the alarm functional. I noticed the lag soon after that but wasn't sure if it was related. I took the car into the dealer about a month later for "turbo lag". The technician agreed it (the lag) was there but there were no codes. He spent two days trying to figure it out with no luck then put in a PUMA ticket. BMW sent him the software update and the lag is gone. I have to agree with what BMW says in some respects. Most people would never notice. For those that do notice, it can be very irritating as it was for me. Another thing I assume is that my dealer has never seen the problem or complaint before. Why else would he take two full days of diagnosis time to figure it out. They also had to download the software. They didn't have it on hand.

If I was to bring in my car, I wouldn't reference the bulletin. I would just complain of the sympton, "turbo lag". I see alot of "f-bombs" and profanity being thrown around on the forum. It just reduces the credibility of us all.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #131
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
i want to drive a 335i with the "lag" so I know what the difference feels like with my car (10/2007) production with no software updates. I can notice a little lag in mine (no tunes) but I'm curious as to how much more lag there is on the cars with the old software
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #132
Crewchief05
SBD
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Garage List
08 335i  [0.00]
Anyone know the latest software for n54 08 335i?
Appreciate 0