E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Updated N54 Crank Hub Info

02-15-2024, 09:22 AM   #1
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Exclamation Updated N54 Crank Hub Info

I thought this info might come in handy for anyone who’s wanting to install one of the “updated” style crank hubs. The new updated hub has a turned down nose section, and the gears have a smaller inner diameter in order to increase the surface area that seats against the friction discs. I took some measurements on the updated gears and friction discs, and they increased the clamping surface area around 50%. Also, the friction discs now have what appears to be a gritty diamond coating (not sure what it actually is, but it sure feels like the same material that’s on my diamond coated knife sharpening hone plates), instead of the old style friction discs which look like they just have these microscopic rings/grooves formed into them. The new style friction washers definitely feel more “grippy”.

Definitely not a 100% “never going to slip” solution like the pinned or splined crank hubs for $1K, but for under $200, I think this updated crank hub design from BMW is definitely an improvement.

2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 3
      02-15-2024, 02:03 PM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

When did this updated crank come out? is this recent?

Ae people slipping that much or is it on high power situations?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 02:11 PM   #3
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
When did this updated crank come out? is this recent?

Ae people slipping that much or is it on high power situations?
I think I read somewhere that it came out some time around when BMW switched over to the S55 engines....so the "updated" crank hub, it's really that new.

And honestly, I don't know how common a slipped crank hub is.....but I figured since I had my motor apart, any type of improvement would be good.

I started researching the $1K splined crank hubs, and the pinned crank hubs.....but that just takes you down a whole other worm hole with some people saying the splined crank hubs still slip, and people saying the pinned crank hubs and snap the pins.

I'm not making monster power, and not running a manual or DCT transmission which puts a lot of shock on the motor....so I figured this "updated" crank hub for under $200 was money well spent.

I figured out pretty quick that everyone seems to have their own opinions on these N54's as far as the "right" way to build them....and everyone's opinions are different, and a lot of time they contradict each other.

I never had a single issue with my original 2007 crank hub...so I'm hoping that this "updated" on will be the same, or maybe better.

I guess time will tell.

Just thought I would post up the info and part numbers in case it could help someone out.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 02:16 PM   #4
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Can never go wrong with a relatively cheap, “while I’m in here, I might as well” type job, especially on these platforms
Appreciate 0