E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Smoke coming from exhaust only on deceleration

02-17-2024, 11:37 PM   #23
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Just to show you how crazy frustrated I was, I also changed the DME with brand new from the dealer, all to no avail
Yeah man it seems like it could be an issue i’ll just have to deal with. Honestly my oil consumption is next to none. a little bit of oil can make a very big puff of smoke. i’m just hoping that for now the catch can works it’s magic and picks up whatever shit comes out of there. Otherwise it’ll just be an issue i deal with until i’m ready to dig into it more
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 12:06 AM   #24
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Have you done some smoke tests to ensure you have no vacuum leaks?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 12:08 AM   #25
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Have you done some smoke tests to ensure you have no vacuum leaks?
not yet but that’s also a good idea. Also just wanted to note. Today i had the whole front end off my car. There was oil weeping from the intercooler charge pipe line. that’s a good sign that it is pcv related
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 02:41 PM   #26
semper
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
2006 E92 335i  [0.00]
Hey man, did valve cover fixed your issues? I'm having same issues and getting kinda depressed by it
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 02:46 PM   #27
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by semper View Post
Hey man, did valve cover fixed your issues? I'm having same issues and getting kinda depressed by it
Hey man. unfortunately no it didn’t. my turbos are shot😪. easy way for you to check if your turbos let go is to pull the downpipes off and see if it’s wet, and also if your charge pipe is full of oil going into your intercooler.
Appreciate 1
semper0.00
      04-05-2024, 02:57 PM   #28
semper
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyweninger View Post
Hey man. unfortunately no it didn’t. my turbos are shot😪. easy way for you to check if your turbos let go is to pull the downpipes off and see if it’s wet, and also if your charge pipe is full of oil going into your intercooler.
Not full of oil but I do have blow by. Also If I use wastegate rattle fix from MHD my smoking stops.. so that's why I'm so desperate and don't want to throw money on car for no reason. Already 2000€ deep and I'm starting to think about insurance fraud..... At this point
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 02:59 PM   #29
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Not full of oil but I do have blow by. Also If I use wastegate rattle fix from MHD my smoking stops.. so that's why I'm so desperate and don't want to throw money on car for no reason. Already 2000€ deep and I'm starting to think about insurance fraud..... At this point
blow by is a good indicator that you might have some bad oil rings. is it only on decel? when you get smoke
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 03:00 PM   #30
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
blow by is a good indicator that you might have some bad oil rings. is it only on decel? when you get smoke
also sorry i meant to add this in. could also be a bad pcv system. change your valve cover for starters and then also use the rb pcv valve. and maybe a catch can. again also pulling the downpipes isn’t always efficient, the oil could be burning on the hot side
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 03:02 PM   #31
semper
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92 335i  [0.00]
Yes it's only on decel or if I tap throttle about 1300rpm and keep tapping then I can sometimes get same effect..

Will be changing clutch tomorrow so I will try to take a look through the downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 03:04 PM   #32
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes it's only on decel or if I tap throttle about 1300rpm and keep tapping then I can sometimes get same effect..

Will be changing clutch tomorrow so I will try to take a look through the downpipe.
i have the same issue. i’m 99% sure my turbos are shot. but there are many issues. for me it’s on decel like when coming to a stop or when i’m cruising and give it a bit of throttle blows a lot of smoke out
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 03:05 PM   #33
semper
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92 335i  [0.00]
Valve cover seem it's pretty old sticker don't look new at all etc. Is there any way to check when was valve cover made? I have FTP motorsport upgraded PCV valve and new flapper valve.

But don't know if there is anyway to check if valve cover system is not clogged.

Also wanted do purchase dual catch can from BMS but they don't have it in stock for over 2 months.. (read that if you put dual catch can they you basically don't need PCV system in valve cover at all there for only change it if it's cracked.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 03:07 PM   #34
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Valve cover seem it's pretty old sticker don't look new at all etc. Is there any way to check when was valve cover made? I have FTP motorsport upgraded PCV valve and new flapper valve.

But don't know if there is anyway to check if valve cover system is not clogged.

Also wanted do purchase dual catch can from BMS but they don't have it in stock for over 2 months.. (read that if you put dual catch can they you basically don't need PCV system in valve cover at all there for only change it if it's cracked.
yea you can’t really check the system, internally for whatever reason on these cars the pcv system is built into the cover. odds are it is gummed up. also i would like to add again a compression test wouldn’t be a bad idea
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 03:28 PM   #35
semper
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92 335i  [0.00]
Already did compression test and this was the result car can 240k km

1. 150 psi
2. 160 psi
3. 165 psi
4. 165 psi
5. 160 psi
6. 165 psi

It's still in the tolerance from each other so that should not be such big problem I guess..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 12:21 PM   #36
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
This seems pretty typical from what I've seen. Everyone hopes that a new PCV valve and/or valve cover is going to fix their smoking on decel issues (I did the same thing)....but in the end, it's almost always an issue with turbo seals.

They can only go through so many heat cycles before the seals crack/break....and let oil by.

Look at the bright side...now you can call up Rob Beck and order a new set of RB turbos
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 12:24 PM   #37
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
This seems pretty typical from what I've seen. Everyone hopes that a new PCV valve and/or valve cover is going to fix their smoking on decel issues (I did the same thing)....but in the end, it's almost always an issue with turbo seals.

They can only go through so many heat cycles before the seals crack/break....and let oil by.

Look at the bright side...now you can call up Rob Beck and order a new set of RB turbos
yeah lol trust me i was praying that it was just a gummed up pcv system so i replaced the whole valve cover. unfortunately no fix but on the bright side now i don’t have to worry about a valve cover leak for a bit👍😉. Everything else checked out. i have very minimal blow by (not a ring issue) thank god. head gaskets are rare on n54s so i’m not worried about that. Must be turbos 👌. gonna order up some rb game finishers once i kill these turbos completely since they still hold boost i don’t really care
Appreciate 0