E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC Business to Professional

02-03-2024, 01:41 PM   #1
kristj4n
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 330d

CIC Business to Professional

Hello everyone! I have 2011 e92. I bought used screen and headunit to get bigger screen. When i installed everything, navi system worked. I put all the trims back, turned ignition on and navi stopped working. A guy coded CIC for my car. Everything works except navigation. I tried updating navi using europe east 2021-1 and 2023-1, got the 1b file and generated FSC. However car says the code is incorrect. I have done some research found out that it is due VIN mismatch. Found from one another forum, that there is a way to patch CIC and use FSTools to insert certificates. This seems like a rocket science to me. The guy who coded my cic, sees this problem first time. Other thing is to use Tool32 to change VIN code, but i am not sure will it fix the problem. Has anyone gotten the same issue? If yes, what was the easiest way for solution? I would not want to use the emulator.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 01:30 PM   #2
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Hi

I have done the cic retrofit and am doing soon the navigation activate/enable.

Basically the fsc code don't match between CAS and CIC.
By changing the VIN you still have certifications that don't match and nav still grey.

If you have C1A then use patch metod.
If don't have latest version and can't update then need to script activate CIC (this is not script to pull 1B file from CIC).
Basically you edit the startup code and inject there a line to generate empty certificates = activated navigation.
Then you also need to know the VIN of the unit and extract the so called 1B which was data03 file if i remember correctly.

With the 1B file you get unique code and with VIN you can generate activation code.

However since the VIN mismatch you need to use fstool and check for fsc status. This will disable verification with the CAS module and you can update maps. The other method was to rewire all the CAN communication between CIC/SCREEN/CONTROLLER to form a single loop (excluding other car modules). This way it also enable map updating since they default to own VIN.

Now i don't know which versions support using USB to update maps. C16A and C1A definitely but older ones i'm not sure. There was an "i" logo somewhere in the bottom left that would say if navigation is compatible with USB update.
Update: DVD method will work if old firmware. All the later 2019+ i think were USB only. Don't try to burn files to DVD - won't work.

I have C9A and will try and see if USB works, if not will try DVD.
Update: C09 too old and USB definitely won't work. Did couple googling.

FSC repair pack (i don't know where to get them) but is also a good alternative to do it more correctly. To virginize cic also easier with enet access and don't need some very specifix programs.
If i somehow find them will definitely make a step by step guide since i have gathered quite good understanding of this process.

So, i opted to use ENET cable to gain access to CIC (already made backup of CIC original hdd and swapped it to CompactFlash 128gb). Because the Toshiba HDD is quite old already inside and probability of it to fail increases every year. Also this means less risky when manipulating with files inside it.

But my 2007 E90 does not have wiring for ethernet in the obd2 port.
(It is connected directly to cic).

When weather is warmer i will begin this process but this is one method to do it without emulator.
At the beginning i was thinking to use rear camera emulator but you can only use one emulator and this meant can't use CIC emulator.
But later found it is better to integrate rear camera to MMI and no emulator is required that way.

Update: I don't think will attempt this script activation bs. Even thou i added Ethernet pins to ODB2 socket for ENET communication with CIC which is something you need to do to access the CIC files and modify them. Because USB does not work. then again there are USB to ethernet cables that may work? Don't know and at this point doesn't seem to matter.
Ethernet pins are on LCI cars (not in pre-lci) so that's why many report no connection possible.

Probably only normal solution is to use ICOM to update CIC.
Then buy the forum pass for the patch method or buy the certifications that match your VIN.
I realised that because there have been lots of roads reworked and this old navi is quite useless/dangerous without updates.

Now you can add MMI system for phone integration and get Waze on the CIC screen which means this whole script activate to get old navi working (up to 2018 via DVD?) thing is pointless anyways because it would probably cost more to get CIC firmware upgraded to C1a and get the navi working compared to buy MMI system that does NAVI way better.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 03-04-2024 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu150.00