E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 2013 Track Dates (Quebec, Ontario and U.S. North East)

03-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #199
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I might have, for a fleeting moment, considered getting a Porsche, other than the mid-engined Cayman, but this did it for me.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...e/#more-457425

Scary stuff, happened to a very experienced Porsche driver. As I understand it, when cornering and first the springs compress all is ok, but when the springs decompress, lightening the load on the rear wheels, that's when things get hairy and quick.....
      03-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #200
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
I might have, for a fleeting moment, considered getting a Porsche, other than the mid-engined Cayman, but this did it for me.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...e/#more-457425

Scary stuff, happened to a very experienced Porsche driver. As I understand it, when cornering and first the springs compress all is ok, but when the springs decompress, lightening the load on the rear wheels, that's when things get hairy and quick.....
I came to that revelation as well and switched from looking for GT3 to E46M3. The Porsche is an awesome platform, but wasn't for me at that point in time.

Where was the spin-out? Looks like turn 10-11 at CMP.

Last edited by jgalaxy; 03-30-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #201
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
my year of track excess was definitely 2011. i did about 14 track days (8 events if i am not wrong). totaled up the bills and was very much horrified with how much i spent.... i am taking it easier now with less tracking.

average cost of 1 track day for me is about $1k/day when you take into account hotel, gas, track fees, brakes, tires, maintenance, etc.

joel - did you count how many track days total you did last year ??
24 total track days from 16 events. I wish I could do more.
      03-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #202
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
I came to that revelation as well and switched from looking for GT3 to E46M3. The Porsche is an awesome platform, but wasn't for me at that point in time.

Where was the spin-out? Looks like turn 10-11 at CMP.
Ha Ha, funny how we all go through similar processes

Ya the camera angle is not great on the road, I also figured it's at CMP after temptation, the righthander going into the throat. After a slight lift there, I'll throttle in the curve, before straightening up for the braking.
      03-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #203
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
24 total track days from 16 events. I wish I could do more.
Dude, that's almost as much as I have tracked over 5 yrs

You rock!
      03-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #204
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ha Ha, funny how we all go through similar processes

Ya the camera angle is not great on the road, I also figured it's at CMP after temptation, the righthander going into the throat. After a slight lift there, I'll throttle in the curve, before straightening up for the braking.
If I had more skill at the time I'm sure I would have picked up a 996 GT3. Having read about the vehicles dynamics I decided that the M3 was a perfect next step for me. I've already started looking at the LS3 and Tremec T56 trans for the replacing the S54 bits.

The wipe-out looked like it was between 10-11. I have never seen anyone spin there. I have seen folks run out of track at 11 () but no spins. Just goes to show how temperamental the car can be.

Chris can tell you first hand. I recall being behind him at VIR, turn 4 ("Left Hook" on Full Course) and his rear end just slip out from underneath (real slow left turn) on light application of the go-pedal (Nice save by the way Chris).

03-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #205
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dude, that's almost as much as I have tracked over 5 yrs

You rock!
I would like to thank my adrenaline dealers ...
      03-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #206
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Joel, you are right CMP 10-11, it's at the Crown, not the Throat as I mentioned!

Now that I think of it, I don't remember if you need to brake there or lift before turning, but I would suspect braking is required. I did not go to Bogie last year so it's a little fuzzy now. I need to go there this year! I think the slight lift is at the entry of the spoon!

One thing about the Porsche, perhaps there was oil on the ground at that spot, or the braking was not completely on a straight line etc.

Last edited by kenneth; 03-30-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #207
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If I had more skill at the time I'm sure I would have picked up a 996 GT3. Having read about the vehicles dynamics I decided that the M3 was a perfect next step for me. I've already started looking at the LS3 and Tremec T56 trans for the replacing the S54 bits.

The wipe-out looked like it was between 10-11. I have never seen anyone spin there. I have seen folks run out of track at 11 () but no spins. Just goes to show how temperamental the car can be.

Chris can tell you first hand. I recall being behind him at VIR, turn 4 ("Left Hook" on Full Course) and his rear end just slip out from underneath (real slow left turn) on light application of the go-pedal (Nice save by the way Chris).
Wait, I think Tony also spun at that spot Chris spun, no? May not be same event as Chris though.
      03-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #208
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Wait, I think Tony also spun at that spot Chris spun, no? May not be same event as Chris though.
i spun at mosport... at VIR i had a little tail wagging after putting a little too much throttle on corner exit - same corner where tony and joel went a little off track.

rear engine cars are definitely finicky to drive. but i am willing to put in the seat time to gradually pick up the pace and learn its ins and outs. at the end of the day, i dont really care for lap times, just wanted a car that brings me some excitement whenever i hop into it. i can say the frog will keep me learning for years.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #209
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i spun at mosport... at VIR i had a little tail wagging after putting a little too much throttle on corner exit - same corner where tony and joel went a little off track.

rear engine cars are definitely finicky to drive. but i am willing to put in the seat time to gradually pick up the pace and learn its ins and outs. at the end of the day, i dont really care for lap times, just wanted a car that brings me some excitement whenever i hop into it. i can say the frog will keep me learning for years.
I am sure you'll have many many years of fun with the car, and on dry weather you won't have to worry too much about the tail. Just need to watch it on moist rainy days, or when you are really pushing it on dry!
      04-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #210
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
I don't think anyone spun at VIR.

Joel and I did some lawn work between turn 1 and 2 (I was doing the edges while Joel did more ploughing), Chris' backend slipped at 4 and I did a couple of rear end slides going through climbing esses at 7 - 8 - 9.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #211
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post

Joel and I did some lawn work between turn 1 and 2 (I was doing the edges while Joel did more ploughing), Chris' backend slipped at 4 and I did a couple of rear end slides going through climbing esses at 7 - 8 - 9.
You got it.

That is one crazy drop off the track between 1 - 2. Easily a 4" inch drop from the asphalt to the dirt. Crazy to fight that to try and get back on the track. This photo gives you a sense, but it is way worse than it looks in the photo.
Attached Images

04-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #212
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post

I must have been confusing VIR with the Glen!
      04-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #213
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You got it.

That is one crazy drop off the track between 1 - 2. Easily a 4" inch drop from the asphalt to the dirt. Crazy to fight that to try and get back on the track. This photo gives you a sense, but it is way worse than it looks in the photo.
Can't wait to see the green monster with the Air Mods on! You have any pics to share?

How much to do mine front and rear? Roughly?
      04-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #214
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I must have been confusing VIR with the Glen!
time for you to try out VIR, Glen and mosport so you can get in on the track chat !

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #215
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
time for you to try out VIR, Glen and mosport so you can get in on the track chat !

Well baby steps Chris, I am still in minor league. I am adding ASE this year with BMW QC, the day after LCMT Viper.

LCMT May 10 Viper
ASE May 11 BMW QC

LCMT June 9-10 BMW QC

Then it's likely End of June OR Mid August

2 Calabogie days to fill.

So Mosport, Glen and VIR will likely wait.

What do you guys do for health insurance when you take a trip to VIR / Glen?
      04-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #216
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Can't wait to see the green monster with the Air Mods on! You have any pics to share?

How much to do mine front and rear? Roughly?
I met with Seb last week to look at some vacuum infusion laminate samples that I produced and I think we settled on 2 good starting samples. I can take some measurements and give you an idea based on what you are looking for. It will always depend on the complexity and is always a byproduct of the aesthetic level.

I dont have any good photos of the moldless composite items I made, Just what you guys have seen on this forum. Seb will be starting on my new muffler early next week and will integrate with the diffuser. I'll take some photos then.

I'm also working on some LCD gauges solutions that read OBD/CAN via Bluetooth. A simple shift light indicator that is RPM programmable by gear. One that will be helmet mounted using mini RBG LED strip on the inside of the helmet and the other a high intensity LED strip dash mounted. The other gauge will be a programmable 2.4" TFT LCD touchscreen to display RPM, Shift light, fuel, torque, temps, and other OBD values etc. Should be fun. I am waiting to see how Bluetooth will hold up for responsiveness.

Last edited by jgalaxy; 04-03-2013 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #217
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well baby steps Chris, I am still in minor league. I am adding ASE this year with BMW QC, the day after LCMT Viper.

LCMT May 10 Viper
ASE May 11 BMW QC

LCMT June 9-10 BMW QC

I'm covered year round. But yes.
      04-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #218
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:

LCMT May 10 Viper
ASE May 11 BMW QC

LCMT June 9-10 BMW QC

i thought bout doing ASE as well but two track days back to back is going to be a little too much for me i think. plus one day with viper club is more like 2 full track days with BMW QC.

i didnt think bout health insurance when going down to VIR/Glen. are you talking bout accident coverage ? i have some medical coverage from my auto insurance but thats bout it. i have better travel/medical insurance when i fly out of the country.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #219
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I met with Seb last week to look at some vacuum infusion laminate samples that I produced and I think we settled on 2 good starting samples. I can take some measurements and give you an idea based on what you are looking for. It will always depend on the complexity and is always a byproduct of the aesthetic level.

I dont have any good photos of the moldless composite items I made, Just what you guys have seen on this forum. Seb will be starting on my new muffler early next week and will integrate with the diffuser. I'll take some photos then.

I'm also working on some LCD gauges solutions that read OBD/CAN via Bluetooth. A simple shift light indicator that is RPM programmable by gear. One that will be helmet mounted using mini RBG LED strip on the inside of the helmet and the other a high intensity LED strip dash mounted. The other gauge will be a programmable 2.4" TFT LCD touchscreen to display RPM, Shift light, fuel, torque, temps, and other OBD values etc. Should be fun. I am waiting to see how Bluetooth will hold up for responsiveness.
thats some serious bit of kit youre working on. probably not something i can do myself. where are you learning the tricks of the trade? i dont see seb as the programming kind of guy either so i am guessing you are mostly on your own for this ?

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #220
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
thats some serious bit of kit youre working on. probably not something i can do myself. where are you learning the tricks of the trade? i dont see seb as the programming kind of guy either so i am guessing you are mostly on your own for this ?
it should be a fun project. Not too difficult. You have to know how to program micro-controllers and be ok with electronics. The rest is R&D work. Hopefully Seb can help me beta test some of this stuff and help me decipher / troubleshoot some of the automotive stuff I'm surely going to run into.