E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Is Alignment needed to install Rear Sway Bar

10-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Josephkao
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Is Alignment needed to install Rear Sway Bar

As the title question, do you need to do a rear alignment after install the rear sway bar?
If the answer is yes, then I better install the spring/shock at the same time to save on installation.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
shyestsparks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan, 02 Altima VQ35DE-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephkao View Post
As the title question, do you need to do a rear alignment after install the rear sway bar? If the answer is yes, then I better install the spring/shock at the same time to save on installation.
It's alot easier to install the shocks/springs while doing the rear sways, also if you are going to do the under chasis brace it is also advisable to already install the adapters(if you have an E90). When Charlie and I did thhe install on my car he said to "mark" the suspension and if it doesn't pullto the left or right then you don't need an alignment; but just on the safe side I'm going to get an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Yes.
Because you need to take out the springs, shocks and drop the rear subframe.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Josephkao
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyestsparks View Post
It's alot easier to install the shocks/springs while doing the rear sways, also if you are going to do the under chasis brace it is also advisable to already install the adapters(if you have an E90). When Charlie and I did thhe install on my car he said to "mark" the suspension and if it doesn't pullto the left or right then you don't need an alignment; but just on the safe side I'm going to get an alignment.
I've never believed in the "marking".
I had an LSD put in on my GLI (FWD), and they said the same thing.
I had a brand new set of tires on my car.
2000 miles later, I needed to replace my left front tire since the tread wore down only on the inside of the tire.
So, instead of paying 80 bucks for an alignment, I needed to pay 250 for a new tire plus 80 bucks for an alignment.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Josephkao
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyestsparks View Post
Thanks, I think I am going to get Koni FSD to go with the OEM sport spring and have them installed at the same time of the H&R sway bar set.
About the under chassis brace you mentioned, is it the X-brace from Hotchkis? I have a E90. I thought this X-brace is a direct bolt? May I know the advantage of installing the adapters of the brace at the same time.
If there is an advantage to save on labor, would you suggest I have the adapters install all at once and install the actual x-brace at a later time ( can not afford to purchase everything at one time)
Thanks again.

Last edited by Josephkao; 10-10-2008 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
shyestsparks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan, 02 Altima VQ35DE-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephkao View Post
Thanks, I think I am going to get Koni FSD to go with the OEM sport spring and have them installed at the same time of the H&R sway bar set.
About the under chassis brace you mentioned, is it the X-brace from Hotchkis? I have a E90. I thought this X-brace is a direct bolt? May I know the advantage of installing the adapters of the brace at the same time.
If there is an advantage to save on labor, would you suggest I have the adapters install all at once and install the actual x-brace at a later time ( can not afford to purchase everything at one time)
Thanks again
That's exactly the advantage; it's easy for them to install the adapters when the subframe if dropped, depending on the shop/individual installing the sway bars, they may not even charge you for installing the adapters. It's like, "Do you mind exchanging the thrust rods(adapters) since you've already dropped the subframe?"
Appreciate 0