E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Cheap Brake Mods before BBK

03-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
RBC
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92 '07 6MT

Question Cheap Brake Mods before BBK

I feel the need to improves brake power, resistance and feel but I am not ready to jump into a Big Brake Kit because the price tag is huge!

I don't want to spend a lot but I do want to improve brake power, endurance and feel.

So, what should I do first?
  • Brake lines?
  • Performance pads?
  • Rotors?

My brake pads have 10k miles so I would prefer not to exchange them just yet unless the difference is dramatic...

Please share your experiences!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
stevenqdz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi e90

Garage List
2008 e90 335xi  [0.00]
i personally think that there's no need to improve 335's brake... they are pretty great as it is... all the brake mods might improve some wat better braking power but also might void ur brake warranty so i think its not worth it.....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

for street use the brakes of the 335 are more then enough, even on the track the perform well. I only upgraded the pads. (Pagid RS29, now Cool carbon) Fluid and brake lines I kept standard as I had no issues with the brakes so far, also not under very hard driving. I doubt if you would even feel the difference.... or are you tracking your car a lot?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
JPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: German

what are your symptoms? are you using your car on the track and seeing extremely high temps? are you getting fade after multiple stops or do you just want to have better modulation of brake forces?

need to know what the problem is before suggesting answer, but higher operating temp brake fluid and pads might be a good way to start.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Pads and rotors are a good start, stainless lines will help with better feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

marcelb speaks the truth.

FYI, Rotors are not needed. They could help but the effect would be minimal. Also with the stocks you could get your dealership to replace them under warranty when they wear out . Only if you have a good relationship with them of course.

I never had a problem with the stock setup and I used it completely stock for a long time. This means no special fluid, pads or lines. Granted the brakes would fade at the track but if you follow marcelb's advice you won't have this issue.

The only issue you need to be aware of is the time it takes to change the pads in the stock brakes. Check the DIYs. It might be ok with you.

It's probably the reason I got a BBK. I'm lazy and would never change the pads until I got the BBK with drop in pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
The best thing about the 335i brakes are that they have bigger calipers than average and the rotors are big as well.
The one thing that sucks about the OEM brakes are the pads. The pads work great in the beginning but it doesn't make much heat to make them fade.

Cool Carbon brake pads are the perfect pad between the street and the track because the pad is very linear and the heat that the pad takes is incredible.
Take a look at my write up here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...8143&highlight

Another thing is replacing all 6 lines to SS lines.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...Braking/Lines/

I've used this setup (CC pads and SS lines) over and over at the track and have had great results.
I had 6 piston rotoras in the front and 4 piston rotoras in the rear with EBC yellowstuff pads, and I swear that the stock brakes with cool carbon pads resulted in better lap times and less fade.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 04:00 AM   #8
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
The best thing about the 335i brakes are that they have bigger calipers than average and the rotors are big as well.
The one thing that sucks about the OEM brakes are the pads. The pads work great in the beginning but it doesn't make much heat to make them fade.

Cool Carbon brake pads are the perfect pad between the street and the track because the pad is very linear and the heat that the pad takes is incredible.

I've used this setup (CC pads and SS lines) over and over at the track and have had great results.
I had 6 piston rotoras in the front and 4 piston rotoras in the rear with EBC yellowstuff pads, and I swear that the stock brakes with cool carbon pads resulted in better lap times and less fade.

I will mount my cool carbon pads this weekend, curious how it goes! Looking forward after reading this
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post

+1 I'm also moving to the Cool Carbon Pads, SS lines, as well as some Motul Brake fluid before I jump on the track again. With these items, as mentioned by Mr. 5, you'll see better lap times, and less fade once they start heating up.
Appreciate 0