E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I think my insurance might have screwed me.

11-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Cloudywolf
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 35i

I think my insurance might have screwed me.

Hey guys, I got involved in accident recently and my insurance and I see differently on the issue. I was hoping I could get a second opinion and some advice from you guys because I think I am getting screwed and I would just like some input regarding the matter.

I got into a car accident (there was no other party involved) and both my front and side airbags deployed. My insurance pretty much covered everything, but they said that they found damage on my roof by the passenger side. There were a few dents that looked more like ripples, and there is no point of impact or scratch that would indicate an exterior collision of any sort. My insurance decided that they couldnt cover the roof and said with absolute certainty that the ripples werent caused from the accident. However, I argued that the ripples could have been created from the side airbags deploying. In any case, I paid an extra $1000 bucks to replace the roof.

I also had some issues with the bearing, and once again the insurance decided to only cover the knuckle and not all the parts required. After about a month of driving it, I heard loud whirring noises coming from the wheels. I had my shop check it out again, and they said that the bearings on my left side are worn/cracked and need to be replaced. Once again, the insurance chose to only cover a portion of it, citing that the damage wasnt related to the accident (even though it was) and I forked out another 500 bucks.

Do I have a case here? I'm mostly concerned about the roof because they completely rejected my argument when I thought it was a plausible explanation. Would I be able to appeal this with my insurance, or will I have to take this to small claims court? I have Farmers.

Thanks for any advice or tips you guys can give me. This ordeal has left me on the verge of destitution and I am very upset with how my insurance company is treating me.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Sound's like you got screwed.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Bimmer Barney
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

I am insurance broker and work with claims professionals all the time. Just a few thoughts: was it rippled before the accident? If so, do you have any photographic proof? Is the claim now closed? The adjusters don't know anything about your car or accidents. They rely in the professional opinions of the body shops. Try to get a letter from the body shop that did the work. Also, if you think you got screwed you can reach out to your state department of insurance for assistance. Hope that helps.
      11-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Cloudywolf
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
I am insurance broker and work with claims professionals all the time. Just a few thoughts: was it rippled before the accident? If so, do you have any photographic proof? Is the claim now closed? The adjusters don't know anything about your car or accidents. They rely in the professional opinions of the body shops. Try to get a letter from the body shop that did the work. Also, if you think you got screwed you can reach out to your state department of insurance for assistance. Hope that helps.
Thank you! It was not rippled before the accident, but i dont think I have any pictures to prove that either. The body shop that did the repairs also told them that they think it was from the accident, and the company sent a bunch of adjusters and I believe some other execs to get an opinion. I also talked to a master technician at BMW who also stated that the ripples can be caused from the airbags being deployed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
sgtfury40
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

With all of the people telling you that the damage is related to the accident, tell them IN WRITING, to cover the damage or you will sue them for bad faith claims handling. It doesn't matter if the claim is "closed." I have had adjusters try this bs on claims before and it means nothing. Remember, the claim you are making is a claim under contract (your insurance policy). You can make the claim as long as you are not past the time indicated in your policy. Wish my law license was in CA. I would do this for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Bimmer Barney
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfury40
With all of the people telling you that the damage is related to the accident, tell them IN WRITING, to cover the damage or you will sue them for bad faith claims handling. It doesn't matter if the claim is "closed." I have had adjusters try this bs on claims before and it means nothing. Remember, the claim you are making is a claim under contract (your insurance policy). You can make the claim as long as you are not past the time indicated in your policy. Wish my law license was in CA. I would do this for you.
Correct on the closed issues. I was just curious. Your policy most definitely has a provision stating you may bring suit against the insurance company but it must be before the insurance policy expires. Good luck OP!
      11-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

what insurance company do (or did) you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Cloudywolf
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
Correct on the closed issues. I was just curious. Your policy most definitely has a provision stating you may bring suit against the insurance company but it must be before the insurance policy expires. Good luck OP!
Thank you guys. I'm going to find a copy of my insurance policy somewhere and see if I can quote it to help bolster my case as well. I plan on writing up an essay with an intent to sue if this isnt resolved. I may not have a license, but I am studying law at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuppiOne View Post
what insurance company do (or did) you have?
I'm with Farmers Insurance.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

jesus that's bs, i say you have a case, and note to self. never go with farmers insurance
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Farmers is known for this type of bull$hit.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Cloudywolf
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I know. My parents were the ones that did all the insurance stuff when I first got my car and license. (Yes I'm in my early 20s) I now know that Farmers is a gigantic piece of shite and when I have enough funds, I'm switching over to AAA.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
You'll need proof regarding the roof, but I think there is nothing you can do about the bearing. insurance will only replace what is not visibly broken at the time the adjuster/claims inspects the vehicle. I confirmed this with my wife's accident so we paid out of pocket to replace a bearing two months after her accident.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
Cloudywolf
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
You'll need proof regarding the roof, but I think there is nothing you can do about the bearing. insurance will only replace what is not visibly broken at the time the adjuster/claims inspects the vehicle. I confirmed this with my wife's accident so we paid out of pocket to replace a bearing two months after her accident.
What do you mean by proof? I can't prove that it wasnt caused by the accident since I dont have any pictures, but I can at least prove that it isnt impossible for the airbags deploying to have created the ripples. That's the claim I'm trying to argue here.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
With my accident, I communicated via email for the most part so there won't be any, "he said / she said" situation, and there was a paper trail. If there are any unresolved issues, missed diagnostics, or additional hidden damage, the insurance should cover them if deemed reasonable (my car was nearly new when it got in an accident).

I know it may be an additional expense, but having a BMW master tech talk to provide a report to the adjuster may support your claim.

If you are still concerned about the safety of your vehicle, get a comprehensive inspection done.

You may attempt to resolve the dispute with the insurance, giving them a chance to fix things before going to small claims.
      12-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #15
whilechukwuzout
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 N54

Insurance is a funny thing. If you have it, and dont use it, your getting screwed. If you have it, and you DO use it, you get screwed.
Appreciate 0