E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Opti coat or CQUARTZ

08-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Opti coat or CQUARTZ

Hey guys i wanna use one of these on my wheels but I have a quick question..

I have matte black wheels and I was wondering if after I apply one of these sealants, will the wheels end up being glossy? I wanna keep my wheels matte so idk whether this stuff will change the appearance of the finish.

Also, which one is better lol?

Thanks in advance guys!

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 328i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92driva View Post

I have matte black wheels and I was wondering if after I apply one of these sealants, will the wheels end up being glossy? I wanna keep my wheels matte so idk whether this stuff will change the appearance of the finish.

Thanks in advance guys!
I have never tried those coatings on matte wheels, but I would recommend you to take the wheels off and perform a test on the inside of the wheel and see what the finish is.
I personally use GTechniq EXO on matte with no change on the finish.
http://gtechniqna.com/exterior-coati...ybrid-coating/
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI PETE
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92driva View Post

Thanks in advance guys!
I have never tried those coatings on matte wheels, but I would recommend you to take the wheels off and perform a test on the inside of the wheel and see what the finish is.
I personally use GTechniq EXO on matte with no change on the finish.
http://gtechniqna.com/exterior-coati...ybrid-coating/
Thanks for the suggestion.

That stuff looks good but a little out of my price range haha. I'll try doing a little test

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
mg4734
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

I have Cquartz and Reload waiting in my garage to be applied to my entire car. I'll update once I try it out. I'd say if you're worried about the matte finish try Reload first. Shouldn't be an issue as it can also be used on plastic trim etc.
2009 E92 335i M-Sport - MHD Stage One - BMW Performance Exhaust - BMS Oil Catch Can - CDV Delete - K&N Panel Filter - Arc Angel H8 bulbs - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Painted Reflectors - VRSF Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
mg4734
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

Reload is an amazing product. Will be using cquartz tomorrow, but you'll be more than happy with using reload on your wheels. Will not affect the finish
2009 E92 335i M-Sport - MHD Stage One - BMW Performance Exhaust - BMS Oil Catch Can - CDV Delete - K&N Panel Filter - Arc Angel H8 bulbs - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Painted Reflectors - VRSF Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Hamza7
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

Opti coat on the wheels for sure, here some Opti coated wheels I did.

Opti coat doesn't add gloss and add's a bit of satin to matte wheels but test in a inconspicuous area and see if you like it. CQuartz actually has a more darkening effect which is great on regular clear coat but not so good on satin and matte/frozen paint schemes.

Reference: I am both a Opti Coat certified installer and CarPro CQuartz certified installer.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

http://www.drbeasleys.com/matte-wheel-seal.html
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0