E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Do I need to remove the TPMS sensors?

10-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Do I need to remove the TPMS sensors?

Hi, getting almost new 230's fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Tyres shipped from the US off a E92 2010 335i. Any idea if I need to remove the tpms in the wheels or can fill air just as normal without removing them? Only thing is they would be sitting there without being used. Was told they are connected to the valve stem and are simple to remove but are inside the wheels, could possibly fetch me $200-250 for the tpms since the 2010 model tpms's retail for about 450 inthe US but wondering if is worth the trouble removing them. Also any good tyre shops who could do that in Sydney including putting the wheels on?

They are installed like this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...made-easy.html

Thanks
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |

Last edited by cruvon; 10-05-2010 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
They might be useful to someone that get a winter tire / wheel set. So if you remove them and sell them you need to have some one remove them that knows what they are doing.

Then sell them and stress that they are in working order and have been removed by a professional (BMW dealer or a good well known Tire Shop). TPMS can be easily damaged if not handled properly.

Depending on the type, you can expect 50% to 70% of there original value. Perhaps on e-bay or one of the forums here.

Also have a look here, it is an old post still informative. Prices for a set of 4 TPMS depending on the year etc may range from $200- to $400- Some more details about TPMS

Of course as you know, when you do remove them and sell them you should specify from what car and year thy came off, etc.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 10-05-2010 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
They might be useful to someone that get a winter tire / wheel set. So if you remove them and sell them you need to have some one remove them that knows what they are doing.

Then sell them and stress that they are in working order and have been removed by a professional (BMW dealer or a good well known Tire Shop). TPMS can be easily damaged if not handled properly.

Depending on the type, you can expect 50% to 70% of there original value. Perhaps on e-bay or one of the forums here.

Also have a look here, it is an old post still informative. Prices for a set of 4 TPMS depending on the year etc may range from $200- to $400- Some more details about TPMS

Of course as you know, when you do remove them and sell them you should specify from what car and year thy came off, etc.
Thanks for the info Rolf-Dieter, appreciate that
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

I think they are only in the US. I guess the rims are from the US as well as they rubber?

For memory, our flat tyre sensor works off the rotation circumference and speed. Hopefully you can get them off.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
I think they are only in the US. I guess the rims are from the US as well as they rubber?

For memory, our flat tyre sensor works off the rotation circumference and speed. Hopefully you can get them off.
yes rims and rubber from the US, true we use a different system so have no use for those sensors, was thinking I either leave them there for business as usual or would be good if I find some place who knows how to take them off.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

I doubt it would be hard, although if your tyres come fitted, removing them would be more trouble than it's worth IMO
Appreciate 0