E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ugh... advice to clean gratuitous puke from car?

01-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #23
Andrewah05
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i TiAg

Also check under the seats, lot of cabling their, wouldnt want the puke shorting out something, got salt in the subwoofer grill under my seat, all kinds of rust would have raped it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #24
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamN52 View Post
Right? It was one of those moments where you either go into a blind rage, or just laugh.
Third option is crying
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #25
Fuji
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Try putting old coffee grounds in a cup overnight, baking soda, car scents, deodorising sprays... The smell will eventually subside after a couple of days as long as the vomit has been removed well. Happened in my girlfriends BM once when my younger brother got drunk... I had to clean it up for 3 days straight 😭
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #26
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewah05 View Post
Also check under the seats, lot of cabling their, wouldnt want the puke shorting out something, got salt in the subwoofer grill under my seat, all kinds of rust would have raped it.
Good call - nothing really got under the seat, just kind of on the seat track on the outboard side. I can imagine the subs probably collect all kinds of sand and grit over time, too bad they're kind of a pain to access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Third option is crying
Haha, yeah good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
Try putting old coffee grounds in a cup overnight, baking soda, car scents, deodorising sprays... The smell will eventually subside after a couple of days as long as the vomit has been removed well. Happened in my girlfriends BM once when my younger brother got drunk... I had to clean it up for 3 days straight 😭
Coffee grounds might be a good idea too. I've read a bowl of vinegar does similar things. I imagine coffee grounds leaves a more pleasant scent the next morning than vinegar though
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #27
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

The above would work if it were anything but puke. Puke has some microbial (I think) content that requires those enzymatic cleaners to stop the recurrence of the odors as the bugs continue to eat.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #28
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
The above would work if it were anything but puke. Puke has some microbial (I think) content that requires those enzymatic cleaners to stop the recurrence of the odors as the bugs continue to eat.
I have some cage cleaner & deodorizer for rabbits that could maybe be enzymatic... I'll check the label when I get home. Rabbit piss, for those who don't know, smells like someone boiled off cat piss until it was pure, concentrated liquid stink.

Do you have a certain brand of this type of cleaner that you've used/heard of before?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #29
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I used one of the Pet ones when we spilled milk.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #30
AggieATO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM 335i Sedan

The vinegar works. I had a similar situation a week after getting the 335.

Assuming you've 'cleaned' all the vomit and the smell is just what's staying behind, the bowl of vinegar in the car does a pretty good job. I just left it in overnight and did that a few days in a row. The smell goes away (and honestly I'm pretty sure the smell was in my head). I had my uncle sit in the car without tell him everything before hand and he didn't smell anything....that guy has a nose like a bloodhound and TERRIBLE gag reflex.

One piece I'd advise you check though that I had missed...the damn seatbelt. Because she was buckled in it got on and in the fibers of the belt but I didn't think to check it afterwards...after all, with no one in the car it's rolled up and housed away. I just pulled the belt out and scrubbed it with a toothbrush...first with dawn soap and water and then with the vinegar. Worked like a champ.

Good luck bud. The smell will go away with time.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #31
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Use a steam cleaning machine, like the one for deep carpet cleaning. Nothing else will work.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #32
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieATO View Post
One piece I'd advise you check though that I had missed...the damn seatbelt. Because she was buckled in it got on and in the fibers of the belt but I didn't think to check it afterwards...after all, with no one in the car it's rolled up and housed away. I just pulled the belt out and scrubbed it with a toothbrush...first with dawn soap and water and then with the vinegar. Worked like a champ
I hadn't thought to check there, but that's a really good point! You'd never notice it unless you unrolled it... I'll have to go check it at lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Use a steam cleaning machine, like the one for deep carpet cleaning. Nothing else will work.
Yeah, my parents have a carpet shampooer that I might have to go borrow.

I sprayed all the carpets with Febreeze Antibacterial (now waging biological warfare on this mess) and this morning the smell was almost gone. So things are looking up! I still want to take the door apart when it gets a bit warmer though.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 12:29 AM   #33
indya8
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 Bmw M3 (LCI)

O man. I had someone throw up on my backseat. Cleaned it four times using dish washing soap,vacuum, Bought odour repellent and it seemed to do the trick
      01-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #34
etarnold
Tom Arnold
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i convertible

Warm weather will be your worst enemy and that will awaken the odor devils. Take the seat out ans shampoo the carpet and everywhere you can possibly get to. I use the interior cleaner and carpet cleaner by Griot's on my big cruiser boat to fight mildew/mold. Mr. Clean cleaner spray has bleach, so you have to be EXTREMELY careful, but it will neutralize bad stuff. Griot's spot remover might work on the stains, but a medium solution of Oxyclean and club soda will help, as well.

The last trick is to rent an oxygenator from your local tool rental place. It will put a third molecule of oxygen in the cabin air and kill the smell. Run it for an hour or so, then drive your car with all four windows open. Humans breath O2 not O3.

Good luck

Tom Arnold
Cincinnati, Ohio 45208

2011 Sapphire Black 335i Convertible M Sport
Appreciate 0