E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Winter Detailing Hints and Tips

01-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Winter Detailing Hints and Tips

With winter in full swing, we here at Detailed Image wanted to take the time to highlight some great ways to clean and protect your vehicle in the bitter winter weather. Whether its protecting your paint or cleaning off that winter grime, we really have some awesome articles to help you every step along the way.

First things first, protection is key. Hazardous winter conditions such as road salt, sand, snow, and ice can do a number on the paint. Zach McGovern of Attention to Detailing wrote a great article about protecting your car for the upcoming winter. If you already protected your car you can skip this section, if not this article is for you!

Winter Is Coming! Make Sure Your Vehicle is Protected by Zach McGovern

Protecting your car is only one step of the process. After driving in the snow, ice, salt, etc. you are going to want to wash your car to remove all of this contamination. Ivan Rajic of LUSTR Auto Detail highlights how you can wash your vehicle safely and easily using the popular Optimum No Rinse.

Winter Washing with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) by Ivan Rajic

From protecting, to washing, to so much more winter detailing steps the AAP Blog is a great resource. Take a look at a few of the other artciles we have on the blog to help get you through these winter months. Hopefully it warms up soon and if you have any questions in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact us!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 01:35 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Collinite 845 is amazing. This stuff is like gold dust. I keep it in a cupboard locked up so no one can get to it... I guard it with my life!

I used it for my winter detail last month and here are the results:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...=351628&page=2
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Yeah, when the temps PLUMMET into the 50s here in SoCal, it makes it really difficult to wash the car on weekends. I HATE long sleeves, and my hands turn into prunes so much faster with the cold water.

Several family members have recently bought new cars. Some brand new, some just new to them. I've been keeping the skills fresh, and since there really isn't anything to watch on TV these weekends, it keeps me from full couch-potato mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Yeah, when the temps PLUMMET into the 50s here in SoCal, it makes it really difficult to wash the car on weekends. I HATE long sleeves, and my hands turn into prunes so much faster with the cold water.

Several family members have recently bought new cars. Some brand new, some just new to them. I've been keeping the skills fresh, and since there really isn't anything to watch on TV these weekends, it keeps me from full couch-potato mode.
As the author of the above ONR article and once owner of that disgusting looking E36 325, let me just express my envy and hatred of your living situation . When I took photos for that article I believe the temp was a nice and warm ~25 degrees! I reach for my speedos when it's 50 out .

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

As long as you only reach for the speedo, but never put it on to wash the cars, we can still enthusiastically check out your videos without fear of NSF My Eyes
Appreciate 0