E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > How it install INPA/ISTA on M1/M2 MacBook

07-02-2023, 02:35 AM   #1
BOBDAMAGE
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 328xi

Garage List
2011 BMW 328XI  [7.00]
I’ve been silent in the community for some time now and I’ve been noticing that there are many that have the issue of having to go out to purchase a windows machine to do their coding and diagnostics. This post is not to say that I’m the only one that has achieved this, however, there is no one place that I’ve seen the information outlined in any great detail. I’ll provide all the links for everything used to achieve what I have with the BMW Standard tools along with ISTA 4.28.13 running on my M1 MacBook Air.

STEP 1: - SETTING UP YOUR VIRTUAL PLATFORM
  • Download parallels. If you want to pay for the program that’s up to you. Personally i downloaded it here: https://1337x.to/torrent/5401456/Par...macOS-haxNode/
  • To crack the software it will require you to install the “.sh” file using the terminal. You can follow the instructions in the read me file in the crack folder to perform the install. Ensure that you copy the crack folder to your computer from the mounted drive!!!
  • Install any windows version of your choosing. I went with Windows 11 Pro that was provided with the parallels install

STEP 2: - INSTALLING BMW STANDARD TOOLS
  • Download the “VRRTuning_2021_BMWTOOLPACK” from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pz5...N7mBMxys_/view
  • Install the BMW Standard Tools package in the first folder by running as administrator. I claim no glory for this and VRRTuning did an awesome job in providing this package along with a video on how to install the full software.
  • You may run into the error of not having .NET 3.5 installed. If so, follow these steps:
  • Hit command
  • Type Windows features
  • Check the box that says .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
  • Hit OK and it should install
  • At this point you should be able to now install your package

STEP 3: - K+DCAN DRIVERS
  • Plug your cable into your computer. You will need a USB-A to USB-C connector. The cable i bought came with one.
  • Open device manager and you should see that your device is detected but uninstalled. You can find the driver here: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uplo...tributable.zip
  • Ensure that after downloading the driver you’ve extracted it to the C:/ drive
  • You’ll have to install the driver twice!
  • Right click on the D CAN device under ports and update the driver locally from your C:/ drive. It should install the USB Controller. Then do the same again for the USB Serial that pops up in yellow.
  • At this point you should be able to open INPA and see that your cable works!
  • A good quick test is to just do a reinitialisation of your sunroof if equipped or activate some function like lights or so on with INPA. Read you SGDB info to make sure all modules are being read and okay.

STEP 4: - INSTALL ISTA AND PSDZ DATA
  • Installation of these programs are explained fully in the video linked above by VRRTUNING.
  • Installation of ISTA is quite straightforward and does take quite some time. On my M1 it took about 30 mins to install.
  • For full installation you’ll need at least 369GB of space available.

NB: YOU WILL GET AN ERROR WHEN INTIALLY RUNNING NCS EXPERT. YOU MUST CREATE THE FSW_PSW.MAN FILE TO AVERT THIS PROBLEM!!!

Obviously there’s more to have updated and installed along the way with the options you choose such as what SP Datens are used and so forth. That is all covered in the linked video so it has not been stated here. The platform is smooth and lag free and personally I’ve had no issues in coding or doing any form of diagnostics thus far.

Hopefully this helps all the M1/M2 users out there that don’t want to use a windows laptop to do their coding and diagnostics or it be that they’re rarely even doing so and don’t want to buy a windows laptop that they’ll rarely ever use. If you have any questions or issues feel free to PM me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
      08-12-2023, 12:55 PM   #2
hadi_e46
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 330ci

Hey, for some reason whenever I try to read out my car in ista, it says this error "The vehicle could not be identified successfully. Check vehicle interface and 'PAD active'." it said online to change a value in ediabas.ini from REMOTE to STD:OBD. I did that but I still get the error when reading out the car
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 07:24 AM   #3
BOBDAMAGE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328XI  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadi_e46 View Post
Hey, for some reason whenever I try to read out my car in ista, it says this error "The vehicle could not be identified successfully. Check vehicle interface and 'PAD active'." it said online to change a value in ediabas.ini from REMOTE to STD:OBD. I did that but I still get the error when reading out the car
You may not have selected the correct ediabas folder. Sometimes when installing ISTA Standlaone it creates its own ediabas folder in the EC-APPS folder in ISTA. You’d need to configure that one for it to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 01:39 AM   #4
BOBDAMAGE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328XI  [7.00]
So there are those that have PM'd me and also been having some issues doing a setup of their own. I'm starting a video series on YouTube to document everything done at my shop using the M1 MacBook Air.

Here's a video link to provide insight on what to do to get things installed and up and running as has been stated before in the post with instructions:

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 09:06 AM   #5
knsvr
Registered
Belarus
Rep
Drives: E65 M57N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadi_e46 View Post
Here's how I solved this both on M1 Mac with Parallels and Win-based laptop:

1. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\BMWGroup\I SPI\Rheingold in regedit
2. Change the BMW.Rheingold.OnlineMode value from False to True

To mention, I've installed ISTA, Ediabas and Standard Tools from sources that differ from ones mentioned in the OP — and I have not had BLP base extracted to ISTA folder the first time I've encountered the same issue as you. Wanted to save some disk space since manuals noted BLP (and the big boy SDP) as worthy only for the F-Series programming, however, my initial task was E65 coding.

I've ended up adding BLP and changing the Registry Editor value mentioned above to finally let ISTA connect to the vehicle.

Also, big thanks to BOBDAMAGE for putting everything together. Thought I would be stuck with old Windows laptop every time I need to connect to my car.
Appreciate 2
      09-22-2023, 03:35 AM   #6
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Do you think this will work on my older 2013 model Mac book pro?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 01:16 PM   #7
chrisb
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i

Can't get full INPA functions or any ISTA to work...

Thanks so much for putting this all together! Following your directions, I have run into a problem and hope someone can help me out.

I'm running parallels with Windows 11 on an M1 MacBook Pro.

I downloaded Mikes Easy Install from the link you provided and then downloaded ISTA from the torrent info in the Mikes Ista folder.

The first issue I run into is the cable does not show up in device manager as D-Can. It does appear under ports as a USB Serial port. If I try to update the driver for that to the ones you link to, it says that the best drivers are already installed.

When I open INPA, it recognizes the cable as installed and I can open the engine module to view errors and live data but if I try to open any other modules (chassis, body, etc) I get an error saying there is no response from the control module.

Any idea why that would be? I have tried reinstalling the software several times now and get the same result every time.

I installed ISTA first from the torrent link in Mikes Easy tools (4.28) and then from another download I found online (4.39). In each case, I am unable to connect with the car.

After installation of ISTA using the link from Mikes Easy tools, I was able to have it pull VIN and car data but then got an error saying it couldn't connect to the "BMW backend". After installing it again, it no longer pulled the vin and just gave me an error.

When I installed ISTA 4.39, I got an error message "unable to execute file: C:\users\.....2019_VC_redist.x" toward the end of the installation so I assume there is a problem there. When I tried connecting to the car, it again could not pull the vin or any other information.

In all attempts, I have checked the ediabas.ini (in both locations) and obd.ini files and made sure they are set to STD:OBD and COM1 consistently.

I ran both installation programs as administrator.

I bought a second cable in case that was the issue and have had the same results.

Hoping someone can help! thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBDAMAGE View Post
I’ve been silent in the community for some time now and I’ve been noticing that there are many that have the issue of having to go out to purchase a windows machine to do their coding and diagnostics. This post is not to say that I’m the only one that has achieved this, however, there is no one place that I’ve seen the information outlined in any great detail. I’ll provide all the links for everything used to achieve what I have with the BMW Standard tools along with ISTA 4.28.13 running on my M1 MacBook Air.

STEP 1: - SETTING UP YOUR VIRTUAL PLATFORM
  • Download parallels. If you want to pay for the program that’s up to you. Personally i downloaded it here: https://1337x.to/torrent/5401456/Par...macOS-haxNode/
  • To crack the software it will require you to install the “.sh” file using the terminal. You can follow the instructions in the read me file in the crack folder to perform the install. Ensure that you copy the crack folder to your computer from the mounted drive!!!
  • Install any windows version of your choosing. I went with Windows 11 Pro that was provided with the parallels install

STEP 2: - INSTALLING BMW STANDARD TOOLS
  • Download the “VRRTuning_2021_BMWTOOLPACK” from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pz5...N7mBMxys_/view
  • Install the BMW Standard Tools package in the first folder by running as administrator. I claim no glory for this and VRRTuning did an awesome job in providing this package along with a video on how to install the full software.
  • You may run into the error of not having .NET 3.5 installed. If so, follow these steps:
  • Hit command
  • Type Windows features
  • Check the box that says .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
  • Hit OK and it should install
  • At this point you should be able to now install your package

STEP 3: - K+DCAN DRIVERS
  • Plug your cable into your computer. You will need a USB-A to USB-C connector. The cable i bought came with one.
  • Open device manager and you should see that your device is detected but uninstalled. You can find the driver here: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uplo...tributable.zip
  • Ensure that after downloading the driver you’ve extracted it to the C:/ drive
  • You’ll have to install the driver twice!
  • Right click on the D CAN device under ports and update the driver locally from your C:/ drive. It should install the USB Controller. Then do the same again for the USB Serial that pops up in yellow.
  • At this point you should be able to open INPA and see that your cable works!
  • A good quick test is to just do a reinitialisation of your sunroof if equipped or activate some function like lights or so on with INPA. Read you SGDB info to make sure all modules are being read and okay.

STEP 4: - INSTALL ISTA AND PSDZ DATA
  • Installation of these programs are explained fully in the video linked above by VRRTUNING.
  • Installation of ISTA is quite straightforward and does take quite some time. On my M1 it took about 30 mins to install.
  • For full installation you’ll need at least 369GB of space available.

NB: YOU WILL GET AN ERROR WHEN INTIALLY RUNNING NCS EXPERT. YOU MUST CREATE THE FSW_PSW.MAN FILE TO AVERT THIS PROBLEM!!!

Obviously there’s more to have updated and installed along the way with the options you choose such as what SP Datens are used and so forth. That is all covered in the linked video so it has not been stated here. The platform is smooth and lag free and personally I’ve had no issues in coding or doing any form of diagnostics thus far.

Hopefully this helps all the M1/M2 users out there that don’t want to use a windows laptop to do their coding and diagnostics or it be that they’re rarely even doing so and don’t want to buy a windows laptop that they’ll rarely ever use. If you have any questions or issues feel free to PM me.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 04:18 PM   #8
BOBDAMAGE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328XI  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
Do you think this will work on my older 2013 model Mac book pro?
It should. I see no reason prohibiting such
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #9
BOBDAMAGE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328XI  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Thanks so much for putting this all together! Following your directions, I have run into a problem and hope someone can help me out.

I'm running parallels with Windows 11 on an M1 MacBook Pro.

I downloaded Mikes Easy Install from the link you provided and then downloaded ISTA from the torrent info in the Mikes Ista folder.

The first issue I run into is the cable does not show up in device manager as D-Can. It does appear under ports as a USB Serial port. If I try to update the driver for that to the ones you link to, it says that the best drivers are already installed.

When I open INPA, it recognizes the cable as installed and I can open the engine module to view errors and live data but if I try to open any other modules (chassis, body, etc) I get an error saying there is no response from the control module.

Any idea why that would be? I have tried reinstalling the software several times now and get the same result every time.

I installed ISTA first from the torrent link in Mikes Easy tools (4.28) and then from another download I found online (4.39). In each case, I am unable to connect with the car.

After installation of ISTA using the link from Mikes Easy tools, I was able to have it pull VIN and car data but then got an error saying it couldn't connect to the "BMW backend". After installing it again, it no longer pulled the vin and just gave me an error.

When I installed ISTA 4.39, I got an error message "unable to execute file: C:\users\.....2019_VC_redist.x" toward the end of the installation so I assume there is a problem [...]
It’s best I try to assist you remotely. Pm me so that I can offer some assistance through teamviewer and help you resolve your issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 04:36 AM   #10
relevante
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Thanks for this. It also works with the free VMWare Fusion Player. I just used the latest version which now, like Parallels, will grab a version of Windows for you.

One note: At least with my version of ISTA+, I had to install the Visual C++ Runtime. When I only installed the arm version, ISTA opened, but when I entered my VIN (I wasn't at my car at this point) it couldn't find/decode it. Then I also installed the x86 and x64 versions and it was fine.

This morning I came out to the car, hooked up my Bimmergeeks K+DCAN cable, installed the arm version of the FTDI VCP drivers (twice, as mentioned by OP), set the latency setting to 1 in device manager, and it's working great!

Thanks again. My old Windows laptop didn't have enough RAM to run ISTA so this saved me either upgrading it or getting another one. It's going to be awesome just having all the docs with me all the time on my main laptop to read too.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2023, 09:19 AM   #11
BOBDAMAGE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328XI  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by relevante View Post
Thanks for this. It also works with the free VMWare Fusion Player. I just used the latest version which now, like Parallels, will grab a version of Windows for you.

One note: At least with my version of ISTA+, I had to install the Visual C++ Runtime. When I only installed the arm version, ISTA opened, but when I entered my VIN (I wasn't at my car at this point) it couldn't find/decode it. Then I also installed the x86 and x64 versions and it was fine.

This morning I came out to the car, hooked up my Bimmergeeks K+DCAN cable, installed the arm version of the FTDI VCP drivers (twice, as mentioned by OP), set the latency setting to 1 in device manager, and it's working great!

Thanks again. My old Windows laptop didn't have enough RAM to run ISTA so this saved me either upgrading it or getting another one. It's going to be awesome just having all the docs with me all the time on my main laptop to read too.
I’m happy that it is working for you. Awesome stuff! Happy holidays !!
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 08:54 AM   #12
nizona
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 2023

If anybody can seed the file from ista magnet link this weekend that'd be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 08:56 AM   #13
BOBDAMAGE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328XI  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizona View Post
If anybody can seed the file from ista magnet link this weekend that'd be awesome.
I’m currently seeding the link
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 12:16 PM   #14
nizona
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 2023

Quote:
Thanks so much, trying to get Ista downloaded so I can put in the OPF delete cables tomorrow and try and reset my OPF sensors
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 04:16 AM   #15
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 40d (2012)

Quote:
Hi there, are you the only one seeding this as I can't seem to find the files for download using that magnet link.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 05:02 AM   #16
hitby
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 330d

Garage List
Thanks so much for this guide.
I had a speed sensor go last year and replaced it but got the same errors on the dash again recently.

I've used this guide to set up my Macbook Air and managed to get my cable working, get in to read the codes and find out that it was a steering angle sensor fault.

Reset that using Tool32, cleared the fault codes and jobs a goodun (for now!).

Saved me a trip to a specialist so very much appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 01:30 PM   #17
Reecethewhiteman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

need help getting ISTA to work

The issues I am having seem very similar to what user ChrisB was having. I cannot get my car to connect to Ista+. I have checked both file locations and made sure the STD:OBD was set I have checked the Com port made sure it was set to 1. I am stumped and keep getting the PAD active error when trying to connect to ista. I was wondering if you guys were able to figure it out. Thank you for the help.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:28 PM   #18
BOBDAMAGE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328XI  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radial View Post
Hi there, are you the only one seeding this as I can't seem to find the files for download using that magnet link.
There are about 24 others that I’ve seen seeding. I’ll look for an alternative link to provide
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:32 PM   #19
BOBDAMAGE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328XI  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecethewhiteman View Post
The issues I am having seem very similar to what user ChrisB was having. I cannot get my car to connect to Ista+. I have checked both file locations and made sure the STD:OBD was set I have checked the Com port made sure it was set to 1. I am stumped and keep getting the PAD active error when trying to connect to ista. I was wondering if you guys were able to figure it out. Thank you for the help.
An issue that is quite common is that the ISTA folder also has its own EDIABAS folder, this sometimes complicates things. It may be best to create a soft token from the original EDIABAS folder on your C: drive into the ISTA folder and delete the ISTA EDIABAS folder. Therefore, less issues when trying to connect or change connection protocols.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:00 AM   #20
aupshon
Rep
Drives: E91 325i

Quote:
An issue that is quite common is that the ISTA folder also has its own EDIABAS folder, this sometimes complicates things. It may be best to create a soft token from the original EDIABAS folder on your C: drive into the ISTA folder and delete the ISTA EDIABAS folder. Therefore, less issues when trying to connect or change connection protocols.
Would you say the error for ista was Visual C++ runtime? I'm having the same issue. Can connect with INPA no issues but ISTA isn't working.

Am using Parallels and have changed all COM1 settings

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0