E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Parts needed for E90 LCI msport conversion?

01-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #45
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Thread resurrection time

Thanks for the thread Smitty it has been very helpful! I'm thinking I might do this, to clarify: all I would need are the fender liners, air ducts, and fog retrofit converter. Is that all? No underbelly shield? Am I missing something?

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #46
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
Thread resurrection time

Thanks for the thread Smitty it has been very helpful! I'm thinking I might do this, to clarify: all I would need are the fender liners, air ducts, and fog retrofit converter. Is that all? No underbelly shield? Am I missing something?
That's all I used. I couldn't figure out how to get the underbelly adaptor to work. I just drilled some new holes
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #47
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
That's all I used. I couldn't figure out how to get the underbelly adaptor to work. I just drilled some new holes
Great thanks for the help! So you just needed to drill new holes in the underbelly pan to make it line up with the bottom of the bumper, or what?

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #48
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
Great thanks for the help! So you just needed to drill new holes in the underbelly pan to make it line up with the bottom of the bumper, or what?
Yea I think so. I let my shop do it though so not 100% sure
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #49
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yea I think so. I let my shop do it though so not 100% sure
Okay thanks for your help!

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #50
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Just got done with this upgrade from OEM sport bumper to MTech from JGMods. Attached are a couple of pictures.

Like a lot of people have stated in their posts on this thread, I also did not have to buy any additional parts in terms of fender liners, etc. The only 2 things that the body shop needed to buy was the lip to extend the under shield/splash shield and if you have PDC then the brackets. Both of these items cost not more than $20 each.

This is for the MTech and not the MSport though.

I think all the additional fender liners, etc. are not mandatory but some shops I think who have not done it before will just buy or get you to buy the new ones to be on the safer side.

The body shop I took it to, the owner has been working on BMW's since 35 years and he himself drives one that has been worked on for mods and it looks legit! Maybe this is why he was able to do it flawlessly.

By the way, not sure if this matters, I drive a E90 LCI 2009 BMW 328i.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #51
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Just got done with this upgrade from OEM sport bumper to MTech from JGMods. Attached are a couple of pictures.

Like a lot of people have stated in their posts on this thread, I also did not have to buy any additional parts in terms of fender liners, etc. The only 2 things that the body shop needed to buy was the lip to extend the under shield/splash shield and if you have PDC then the brackets. Both of these items cost not more than $20 each.

I think all the additional fender liners, etc. are not mandatory but some shops I think who have not done it before will just buy or get you to buy the new ones to be on the safer side.

The body shop I took it to, the owner has been working on BMW's since 35 years and he himself drives one that has been worked on for mods and it looks legit! Maybe this is why he was able to do it flawlessly.

Def not mandatory but I would get them if I were people. Without them the brake ducts won't line up properly with the bumper or the fender liner. At least that was the case on my car
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #52
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Def not mandatory but I would get them if I were people. Without them the brake ducts won't line up properly with the bumper or the fender liner. At least that was the case on my car
I am going to get the fender part that you mentioned checked out by my body shop next week when I go in to get the fog bulbs fitted.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #53
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Reviving this old thread since it seems to be the most informative on the matter.

Is the JG Mods Mtech rep identical to the actual Mtech? As far as grill tabs, brake ducting lining up perfectly, fender liners and bolt holes, etc?

In my experience, OEM Rep items look identical, but do not actually replicate the OEM product and have different mounting tabs and so on. any help is very appreciated. OEM bumper with grills and fogs is $800, vs local where its $395. I don't mind OEM side skirt and rear bumper prices, but the front bumper with fender liners, deflectors and adaptor, you're looking at well over $1000 before paint. That's 50% of the conversion cost!

Many Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #54
wheen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
Reviving this old thread since it seems to be the most informative on the matter.

Is the JG Mods Mtech rep identical to the actual Mtech? As far as grill tabs, brake ducting lining up perfectly, fender liners and bolt holes, etc?

In my experience, OEM Rep items look identical, but do not actually replicate the OEM product and have different mounting tabs and so on. any help is very appreciated. OEM bumper with grills and fogs is $800, vs local where its $395. I don't mind OEM side skirt and rear bumper prices, but the front bumper with fender liners, deflectors and adaptor, you're looking at well over $1000 before paint. That's 50% of the conversion cost!

Many Thanks...
If you can find e60 fogs for cheap, you can knock off $200 off the oem front, basically. That's a lot closer to the rep pricing.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:39 AM   #55
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheen
Quote:

Many Thanks...
If you can find e60 fogs for cheap, you can knock off $200 off the oem front, basically. That's a lot closer to the rep pricing.
I've heard this... Good to know, and thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #56
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Many Thanks...
Yes it's identical as far as I know. I used OEM fender liner and ducts and everything lined up fine
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #57
JMV1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post

Now im just having a lot a trouble figuring out the difference between Mtech and Msport. i ordered an oem Msport and im trying to figure out what i need to buy
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #58
Grillo78
Rep
Drives: E90

E 90 m tech advice

I found a e90 m tech bumper on eBay!! Any advice here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251533246692
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #59
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillo78 View Post

That's M3 not mtech
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #60
Grillo78
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillo78 View Post

That's M3 not mtech
They look the same to me ok then m3 bumper it says it's a direct fit and he said I can just drill new holes on the bottom piece. I am wondering about the brake duct's etc
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 01:15 AM   #61
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

For the record, Mtech is what BMW called it until LCI, when it became M-Sport, across the brand. Probably had something to do with all of the brands going the route of "sporty" and "actual sport/race", i.e., Audi A4, Audi S4, Audi RS4... 335i, 335i M-Sport, M3

And the M3 replica... I've had two, both fit nearly perfectly, and both didn't connect all that well with OEM connecting points. It allows them to flex a good deal, not terribly, but it did cause the paint to sort of crack/spiderweb on lower corners on both cars. I'm over it. The Msport replica stuff literally fits and functions as well as OEM for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #62
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

This thread was actually pretty useful, because I had no idea if I had ordered the correct parts and it turned out that many others have the same experience. I did NOT even though I ordered using part numbers from RealOEM...

My D does have an oil cooler, and the MSport right brake duct for my car did not have an oil cooler attachment. I ended up hacking the living soul out of the OEM oil cooler ducting and the brake cooler ducting. It took a lot of patience to not break something

My advice is go to your dealer or better yet, order from Tischer with your VIN. At least get part numbers from them (but go ahead and support them... great prices and service).

I also got the male/female adaptor for fogs flipped around, so I do have H8/9006 adaptors, but they are backwards. You live, you learn.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #63
Blakkflame
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4M - E91 MSport

Quote:
For the record, Mtech is what BMW called it until LCI, when it became M-Sport, across the brand.
.....or, more simply, in EU it's ever called M-Sport !!
      09-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #64
wheen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30

same here -- this was a very informative thread. did my bumper upgrades recently and this thread helped out a ton. kudos to OP and everyone else contributing.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #65
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheen View Post
same here -- this was a very informative thread. did my bumper upgrades recently and this thread helped out a ton. kudos to OP and everyone else contributing.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #66
JJJJJason
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335xi 2010 e92 m3

Hi, where did you get the M-tech bumper? I was going to get a m3 replica one but that might looks too aftermarket...
Appreciate 0