E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Fishing The Potomac

03-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
gatorman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Fishing The Potomac

where is the best spot to drop in a boat on the Potomac to bass fish? mattawoman creek?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Large mouth, stripped bass? If you're in No Va why run the whole way down there?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

If you are coming from NoVa, that's probably the closest/best place to go. If you don't want to drive so far, you can put out at Leesylvania Park and drive straight across the river to the Mattawoman. Lots of bass fisherman in there during the tournaments.

My dad fishes pretty much every single day. He lives in the southern part of Charles County, so he fishes the waters farther south from DC, around the 301 Bridge. Lots of good spots down there.

What exactly are you fishing for?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Addicted2Torque
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 335d M-Sport-sold

As dcorn said Leesylvania Park in Dumfries, VA is the closest, an alternative slightly farther North in Lorton, VA is Pohick Bay Regional Park, still pretty quick trip there by water and sometimes with 95S traffic it is faster and definitely more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Clem
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/FR ESS VT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
where is the best spot to drop in a boat on the Potomac to bass fish? mattawoman creek?

thanks!
I am an avid tournament angler and the president of my local chapter. I actually have a tourney out of Smallwood State Park in Mattawoman Creek on Sunday. Of course the weather is forecast to be total crap as usual for my March tournaments.

One the MD side of the river, you can launch at Smallwood, Marshall Hall or Ft. Washington Marina.

In Va. you have, from north to south, National Airport (Gravelly Point), Belle Haven (lousy ramp), Pohick Bay, Leesylvania State Park among a few others.

The Potomac is an outstanding fishery and we are lucky to have it. PM me if you need more detailed info.

Adam

Last edited by Clem; 03-24-2011 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

^ thats the man you want to speak with about Bass fishing the Potomac

from a trip 2 years ago roughly a month prior to what we have right now, it was a cooooold day but the few bites we got were quality fish

Last edited by Sniz; 03-24-2011 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
I am an avid tournament angler and the president of my local chapter. I actually have a tourney out of Smallwood State Park in Mattawoman Creek on Sunday. Of course the weather is forecast to be total crap as usual for my March tournaments.

One the MD side of the river, you can launch at Smallwood, Marshall Hall or Ft. Washington Marina.

In Va. you have, from north to south, National Airport (Gravelly Point), Belle Haven (lousy ramp), Pohick Bay, Leesylvania State Park among a few others.

The Potomac is an outstanding fishery and we are lucky to have it. PM me if you need more detailed info.

Adam

I'd definitely recommend going out at Leesylvania or Gravelly Point. You're right the Belle Haven ramp really sucks, even for putting in a wave runner.

I work at NSWC Indian Head so wave when you cruise by

Oh, and I'll have to post up some pics of the Rockfish my dad pulls in. He's got a commercial license now so he can pretty much catch as many as he wants.
Appreciate 0