E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > my test drive of the new e93 335

04-01-2007, 04:06 AM   #1
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
my test drive of the new e93 335

so, i made my appointment to drive the new e93 335 for today...

got down there, and to start with, get some old guy as a salesman, that probably was more boring then watching grass grow...

then he takes us out to the car, and i was a bit shocked at the colour - crimson red - it looked, uhmm, not so nice on a car of that size...

got in the car to go for a drive and the salesman doesn't even show me round the car, or tell me ANYTHING about it, so i am still "none the wiser" as to any special features the car has...

the interior... ok, my impression... the seats were damned ugly, pudgy looking? and a little uncomfortable. the overall interior was OK i guess, but it certianly didn't have that "crafted/built" feel that my car does, and it seemed a little more "slapped together". the nav, ahh, yuk! this great big bulbous thing on the dash, looked very out of place... to ME, the interior, being as chunky as it is, just doesn't suit a convertible, sad to say it though, cos i was looking forward to the new convertible...

the exterior, again, i was a little unimpressed. i REALLY think the car would of looked better with a fabric roof... the car is just to big for a metal one, and it makes it look fat! the c pillar was enormous! and there was NO boot space when the roof was folded down, unlike in the boot of the e46.

and the power... if it hadn't of been so hyped up, i would of most likely been like "WOW", but i wasn't really, cos i was more expecting something AMAZING, but got very good instead. had nice response though when you floored it. lol, salesman was looking at the spedo every 5 secconds and holding the arm rest!

so overall, if you don't care how the car looks, and can get round it's "fat" thing, then you'll probably love it, but for me, it has to both look great, and drive the same...

now the coupe... that's a different story... e92 (in the right colour) = sex on wheels
      04-01-2007, 04:10 AM   #2
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
You looking at upgrading already? Your baby is still nearly new!
Or just going for a joy ride and a look-see, as i'm sure we've all indulged in that too
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
well, i never expected to buy the car i have now, but you know, lol

but after the drive today, i will def. not be "upgrading"
      04-01-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
Astra, did u drive it in DS mode or just in D mode? Giving it a bit in DS mode around a bend is always a heap of fun (not in the wet though!), not sure if it feels much different carrying the extra weight of the convertible!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)

Garage List
buy my Z4

Nelson
2010 NSW CAMS Supersprints champion (3B class)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
Astra, did u drive it in DS mode or just in D mode? Giving it a bit in DS mode around a bend is always a heap of fun (not in the wet though!), not sure if it feels much different carrying the extra weight of the convertible!!
well we did have 3 people in the car... but nah, i left it in D... didn't want to give the salesman anymore of a heartattack everytime we were aproching a corner he hung onto the armrests

would of loved to take it for a drive by myself though... they normally let me go by myself, but don't know why they didn't in this car... could of been the difference between me disliking teh car as i do now, or wanting to buy one... oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by moO moO nEL View Post
buy my Z4
but i already have a convertible!!! she's on the way to looking hot...
      04-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Buy an M roadster, same money, better engine, more poke
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Was it the one at Trivett Parramatta, they had a red one?
I did go and look at one there...just very glad of my Spahire Black 335 Coupe with the 19" wheels...the convertible is not near as good looking car...with the hood down looks like a boat from the back.

And boot space...maybe a brief case with the hood down...the E46 is a much better looking car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
yeh it was at parramatta...

they also had a black one with saddle interior, looked alot better then the crimson on black one, but i agree with you, no where near as good looking as the coupe... the coupe is a classy looking car

i am glad i have the e46 over the e93, i preffer it
      04-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #10
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

I did see the other one as my rep had called me to look at it...told him I did not like it. He was surprised.

But boy...talk about some seriously ugly colours!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

They're still better than some of the colours Holden and Ford are coming out with LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #12
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
I did see the other one as my rep had called me to look at it...told him I did not like it. He was surprised.

But boy...talk about some seriously ugly colours!!!
so which ones did you see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameB View Post
They're still better than some of the colours Holden and Ford are coming out with LOL
they just steal half their stuff from bmw anyways... phoenix yellow? laguna seca blue?
      04-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #13
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

moo moo nel's z4 is a real convertible with nice rims
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
You still interested in my wheels?
I have to make room for the upcoming mods

Nelson
2010 NSW CAMS Supersprints champion (3B class)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #15
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
does it make you feel big to talk down mine and the new ones?
      04-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #16
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
so which ones did you see?

they just steal half their stuff from bmw anyways... phoenix yellow? laguna seca blue?
LOL and where does that nasty green come from?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #17
9c1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M-Sport

My thoughts on the 335

[QUOTE=astra;822418]
and the power... if it hadn't of been so hyped up, i would of most likely been like "WOW", but i wasn't really, cos i was more expecting something AMAZING, but got very good instead. had nice response though when you floored it. lol, salesman was looking at the spedo every 5 secconds and holding the arm rest!

Yesterday I had the opportunity of driving a friend's brand new E92 335i coupe. I have to agree with Astra - I was also expecting something "more" from the new 225kW twin turbo engine after everything I've read about this new generation engine. The power response is very linear with no turbo lag at all and the torque delivery is very progressive and refined (it's a good thing its got DSC in the wet).

In my opinion though, it doesn't come across as "sporty" enough (I guess I was expecting more of a "M3" experience considering the power output) - it's a very refined engine and it's probably more at home overtaking at 250km/h on a German autobahn than in stop/start Australian driving.

I mentioned in a previous thread about driving a 130i. I'm sorry but this is a far more fun car to drive than the 335i and when you consider the price difference between the two models I would rather spend the money on a 130i and pocket the change than pay for the looks of the E92 and a so-so driving experience.

I think my friend's 335i was also fitted with BMW's all new 6-speed automatic with paddle shifts on the steering wheel which is supposed to be a marked improvement over the current 6-speed Steptronic autos found in the E90 range. Again, I have to say that I couldn't really detect any real improvement over the steptronic transmission and in fact the new transmission felt jerky at lower rpm's / speed (perhaps because it was dealing with large amounts of torque from the new 335i engine).

I also think the BMW paddle shift set-up on this transmission is confusing when compared with the other paddle set-ups that I have driven (Citroen, Alfa Romeo, Maserati) with either paddle (left and right side) being able to shift the transmission up or down (push and pull). I think it's less confusing for the driver if it was just pull left paddle to downshift and pull right paddle to upshift.

I did however love the I-drive / professional navigation set-up in the car. I love the technology and voice activation operations for all the different features. This is something I will be ordering in my next BMW regardless of which model I choose.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #18
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JameB View Post
LOL and where does that nasty green come from?
a long lost relative of that revolting individual colour perhaps? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9c1 View Post
I did however love the I-drive / professional navigation set-up in the car. I love the technology and voice activation operations for all the different features. This is something I will be ordering in my next BMW regardless of which model I choose.
i agree, all the iDrive gadgets are awesome!
      04-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #19
ch330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Accord Coupe, MB SL550

Quote:
had nice response though when you floored it. lol, salesman was looking at the spedo every 5 secconds and holding the arm rest!
Had the same experience a few years back testing the X5. We looked at the 3.0 litre first but i convinced my dad to try the 4.4i. After a couple minutes he jumped out and let me take it for a spin. Dealer was going to after a bit of floorin it. Damn sydney roads too slow for me now
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #20
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
ch330i... an sl550? pimp car! nice
      04-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #21
ch330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Accord Coupe, MB SL550

Quote:
ch330i... an sl550? pimp car! nice
Thanks! Wish we could have bought the sl55, too much for me. so im looking at the 335i sedan. Hope you enjoy yours. Havent been back to Aus in a while but hope to go back and enjoy the highway/freeway. Did they ever finish the new overpass on the m5? i miss my x5
Appreciate 0