E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > procede install

03-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #23
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbretz View Post
You have to manually assign which COM port for the Procede software to connect to Procede with. The way you find that information is right click on "My Computer" and click "Manage." A new window will open up, on the left hand side choose "Device Manager." In the window to the right of where you clicked "Device Manager," you will see "Ports." Expand that tab, and under it you will see something similiar to "USB to Serial Adapter" or "USB to R-232 Adapter" etc followed by "(COM*)" with the "*" being a number. That is the COM port you should select in the communication settings of the Procede software. Hope that helps.
Was doing that, but thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #24
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
what serial-to-usb cable do you have?
what software are you using? software for V4 or V5?
what firmware/maps are currently loaded on the procede?

I just went through the install a few weeks ago. It was 100x easier than I thought it would be. Ran into issues with the drivers for my cable, but that was nothing a google search and updated drivers couldn't fix.
I am using the V4 software...not sure on the cable, but the computer says it is working. As for current maps and firmware on the unit...I have no idea, that's why I am trying to get the new stuff uploaded before I turn the car all the way on to take it for a spin. Also, I'm trying to upload the newest v4 firmware and maps for a manual trans.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #25
jdbretz
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 X5d, '12 M3 ZCP, '12 F30

What COM port is your cable showing up as? If its not COM 1-9 it won't work. Depending on which USB port I use on my laptop it loads in different port number so if you change USB ports it will more than likely change port numbers.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #26
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

Quote:
What COM port is your cable showing up as? If its not COM 1-9 it won't work. Depending on which USB port I use on my laptop it loads in different port number so if you change USB ports it will more than likely change port numbers.
I always put it in the same slot, which is port 3. Although, I do check each time just to make sure. So, yeah...COM port is #3.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #27
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Can you start your car? If the car starts that will ensure the Procede is at least hooked up correctly. If it just cranks and doesn't start, I would first check to make sure the power wire is correct. I used a mulit-meter using the audible continuity test to ensure the power conncetion was good to go. If the Automatic Map is loaded, that won't hurt your car in any way by starting it. Plus the Procede is in bypass mode until the engine reaches a certain temperature.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #28
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Are your gauges lit up? If you don't power up the car (not start it, but turn on gauges/radio/etc), the laptop won't connect.

Also, do you have the 12V Power wire (orange wire) hooked up properly?
      03-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #29
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Also installed my Procede V5 yesterday, running Map 2 with some race gas and the it feels like the car is on some serious steriods

Battled initially with windows vista not automatically detecting the serial 232/USB drivers, however quickly found them on the web and all was sorted .

Just have 2 questions though:

- Decided not to load the DIC maps yet as I live in South Africa at 5700ft elevation and autotuning is not yet enabled. So flashed firmware back to 101 and loaded the standard 12-17 AT V5 maps. Now the issue I'm having is that in the User Adjustable Parameters inputs I've set autotuning to 2 (enabled) for both maps but the log channel window shows autotuning as set to 0, does this mean it is actually disabled? Did a couple of logs and the excel files also showed Auto tune status as 0. However the autotune boost settings and autotune ignition correction values were all changing?

- The second issue relates to clearing codes, when I first started up after installing the Proceed the engine hestitated and the management light came on and I got the engine reduced power msg on the i-drive screen. However after a second try all was fine and the code went away. So then I decided to first try read and then clear whatever this code was. Pressed the gas pedal down fully (only ignition on) and immediately got the engine reduced power msg again with the light coming on in the dash, pressed the pedal again and nothing? It seems that this has not properly cleared as every time I press the gas pedal down and release I get the same thing again?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #30
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus135i View Post
Also installed my Procede V5 yesterday, running Map 2 with some race gas and the it feels like the car is on some serious steriods

Battled initially with windows vista not automatically detecting the serial 232/USB drivers, however quickly found them on the web and all was sorted .

Just have 2 questions though:

- Decided not to load the DIC maps yet as I live in South Africa at 5700ft elevation and autotuning is not yet enabled. So flashed firmware back to 101 and loaded the standard 12-17 AT V5 maps. Now the issue I'm having is that in the User Adjustable Parameters inputs I've set autotuning to 2 (enabled) for both maps but the log channel window shows autotuning as set to 0, does this mean it is actually disabled? Did a couple of logs and the excel files also showed Auto tune status as 0. However the autotune boost settings and autotune ignition correction values were all changing?

- The second issue relates to clearing codes, when I first started up after installing the Proceed the engine hestitated and the management light came on and I got the engine reduced power msg on the i-drive screen. However after a second try all was fine and the code went away. So then I decided to first try read and then clear whatever this code was. Pressed the gas pedal down fully (only ignition on) and immediately got the engine reduced power msg again with the light coming on in the dash, pressed the pedal again and nothing? It seems that this has not properly cleared as every time I press the gas pedal down and release I get the same thing again?
Its better to post your questions in a new thread and keep this one on topic....but to answer your question, if under the User Adjustable Parameters, it shows a 2 while you are connected to the Procede and it shows "Procede Online" in the Procede software then you are good and Autotuning is enable. Hook your laptop up, go online, open the User Adjustable Parameters, make sure there is a 2 in Map 2, select Apply, and your hazards should flash showing you the Procede received the command.

Next for the Code Clearing.....everytime you have the ignition on (not engine running) and fully depress the gas pedel, you should get the reduced power warning. My car does that too. If you are connected to the Procede software you will see the Codes under CAN DME Codes my memory is correct. When you depress the gas pedal again, that will clear the codes stored. Your Procede is funtioning the way it is intending...now back to the OP
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #31
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherbln View Post
Are your gauges lit up? If you don't power up the car (not start it, but turn on gauges/radio/etc), the laptop won't connect.

Also, do you have the 12V Power wire (orange wire) hooked up properly?
hmmm...the radio and stuff would was on, but I turned it all off, the drl's wouldn't go off though. issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #32
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
hmmm...the radio and stuff would was on, but I turned it all off, the drl's wouldn't go off though. issue?
The radio will work in the Accessory Position. Was your fuel gauge on, or could you turn on the blower for the A/C system?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #33
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

didn't look at fuel gauge, but the blower was on before I turned it off
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #34
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

If you can turn your blower on and off, then you have the ignition on and should be able to communicate with the Procede. Have you tried to start to car. That will be the next step to confirm the Procede is installed correctly. If a harness is backwards, not connected properly, or the power isn't hooked up, the car will just crank and crank and not start.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #35
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

I apologize for the stupid question, but I have to ask...you are certain there is a good connection between your Serial to USB cable and the Procede?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #36
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

yep, fired right up.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #37
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I apologize for the stupid question, but I have to ask...you are certain there is a good connection between your Serial to USB cable and the Procede?
Yeah, I don't even have the cable routed or the engine bay put back together yet, just because of the issues with the cable I had last time. I suppose I could put it all back to stock again, run down the street to best buy and then do it all over again...but honestly, at that point I'll just forgo the procede all together. This thing is turning out to be way more of a hassle than I care for. I really appreciate your help and thoughts thus far though
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #38
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yep, fired right up.
Ok, that eliminates problems with the Procede not being installed correctly. That leaves us with bad serial to USB cable, bad connection to procede with the cable, driver issues with windows 7, and software configuration issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #39
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ok, that eliminates problems with the Procede not being installed correctly. That leaves us with bad serial to USB cable, bad connection to procede with the cable, driver issues with windows 7, and software configuration issue.
Yeah....:/ hahaha. Well, just got a reply message from previous owner and he had the manual maps on it, so I am good to go there. I guess I'll just run whatever he had on it until I can get things figured out. Now I just need to uninstall the serial cable drivers and try to find one that should work with windows7, and go from there???
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #40
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

You may want to download the V5 software and give that a try. It works fine even if your running the V4 firmware and maps on the Procede
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #41
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Its better to post your questions in a new thread and keep this one on topic....but to answer your question, if under the User Adjustable Parameters, it shows a 2 while you are connected to the Procede and it shows "Procede Online" in the Procede software then you are good and Autotuning is enable. Hook your laptop up, go online, open the User Adjustable Parameters, make sure there is a 2 in Map 2, select Apply, and your hazards should flash showing you the Procede received the command.

Next for the Code Clearing.....everytime you have the ignition on (not engine running) and fully depress the gas pedel, you should get the reduced power warning. My car does that too. If you are connected to the Procede software you will see the Codes under CAN DME Codes my memory is correct. When you depress the gas pedal again, that will clear the codes stored. Your Procede is funtioning the way it is intending...now back to the OP
My humble apologies for thread jacking , did not think my questions warranted a full thread. Many thanks for the advice though

BTW I also battled with connecting the Proceed to my laptop. The first drivers I tried showed the Procede serial to usb adapter under device manager but I could still not get it to go online. Had to load the correct drivers for vista and set my comms port to a lower number (3) and all was fine?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #42
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

that's a good idea. I'll give that a shot and see what happens...I guess if that doesn't work it will have to be the serial-USB cable or the driver for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #43
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus135i View Post
My humble apologies for thread jacking , did not think my questions warranted a full thread. Many thanks for the advice though

BTW I also battled with connecting the Proceed to my laptop. The first drivers I tried showed the Procede serial to usb adapter under device manager but I could still not get it to go online. Had to load the correct drivers for vista and set my comms port to a lower number (3) and all was fine?
Don't worry 'bout it! Glad you got some help too.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #44
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah....:/ hahaha. Well, just got a reply message from previous owner and he had the manual maps on it, so I am good to go there. I guess I'll just run whatever he had on it until I can get things figured out. Now I just need to uninstall the serial cable drivers and try to find one that should work with windows7, and go from there???
If you have a buddy with a laptop running Windows XP that you could borrow for 10 minutes that should solve 90% of your issues. I will try and find the thread I was reading earlier today about issues with Windows 7 and the cables and post it on here. I am using Vista for mine and have issues periodically with the connection but as long as I am plugged into the wall for power my laptop works without issues (this was after I set the battery profile to Max Performance). Are you computer savy? If so there are some slightly more advanced options to run Windows XP inside Windows 7 (i.e while Windows 7 is running, you could open a window and run Windows XP at the same time).
Appreciate 0