E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RB turbos smoking and burning oil,

02-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport black edition

Garage List
RB turbos smoking and burning oil,

Hi all.

now this isn't chronic I get about 1500miles per qt of oil. and I also drive the car fairly hard.

so i have white smoke from the exhaust only when coming to a stop after boost.
Once idling the smoke stops. It smells like burnt oil.
If a rev the engine in nuteral only a tiny bit of white smoke but hardly noticeable.
I do have a catless exhaust into one back box.*

Have tried the following.*

1. Delete the occ (oil catch can). No change*

RB has suggested I swap the valve cover for a new unit. He thinks the crank case and pcv systems are not breathing right. I will be doing this next week. I'll also be doing a leak down test for good measure but at 530bhp I'm sure my compression is good.

Valve stem seals? My logic is they must*be OK because it only smokes after boost has been met. If the seals had failed I should see white smoke in all conditions?

I might remove the downpipes to inspect the turbines for any play. These are new rb turbos and I would be shocked if they had failed already. 3k miles so far.*

I have another theory but I am no expert

Less exhaust pressure might create a pressure difference in the turbo meaning when the boost is on the pressure on the cold side is greater than the hot side forcing oil in the bearing house to flow out of the path of least resistance. Would that be true? If so creating exhaust back pressure could help.

Thanks for the support*

Adam*

[u2b]https://youtu.be/lRQSGLlXHGY[/u2b]

Last edited by N111CUK; 02-24-2016 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Are you completely catless? How bad does it smoke? I'd def check out the PCV system. You can do a leak down for piece of mind. Did it smoke before turbo install? Do you replace oil feed lines?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
yes completely catless

I noticed the smoke more once catless exhaust system went on.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
mankytron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Valve stem seals generally show under vacuum conditions...so if you floor it to full boost say in 3rd gear then let off and let it coast down in gear the engine creates a strong vacuum and sucks oil past valve stem seals, when you stop and idle the car will usually show oil burning smoke then clear up. Stem seals are just like any other gasket, over time with extreme under hood heat they get hard and will not seal.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #5
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
If you're running the RB PCV or if you haven't replaced your PCV do so. This isn't the first time I've seen this. I had another customer with the same issue and he replaced his RB PCV with a good PCV and the white smoke went away. I'm not saying all RB PCVs are bad, I'm just saying this isn't the first PCV I have seen go bad and cause the white smoke.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
thanks wedge I could install the new oem pcv which came with the valve cover as a test.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankytron View Post
Valve stem seals generally show under vacuum conditions...so if you floor it to full boost say in 3rd gear then let off and let it coast down in gear the engine creates a strong vacuum and sucks oil past valve stem seals, when you stop and idle the car will usually show oil burning smoke then clear up. Stem seals are just like any other gasket, over time with extreme under hood heat they get hard and will not seal.
Has someone done a valve stem seal DIY? or is this a case to run seafoam in the motor oil or do a motor flush?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #8
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankytron
would it not create vacuum when revving the engine in nuteral?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98
Are you completely catless? How bad does it smoke? I'd def check out the PCV system. You can do a leak down for piece of mind. Did it smoke before turbo install? Do you replace oil feed lines?
yes completely catless

new valve cover is waiting for install

rb install was done with all new hardware.

I noticed the smoke once I installed the catless exhaust.

I understand a little smoke might be the side effects of no cats but want to eliminate it as much as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #10
MM Performance
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT

First thing I would do before going off to spend a bunch of money replacing parts not knowing what will do the trick is take off the downpipes and inspect the turbines to see if there is any evidence of oil leaking past the turbine seals. That's the quick and easy inspection. For a more full proof and detailed inspection of the turbines, I would remove the turbine housing and check under the turbine heat shield if there is any evidence of leak, this is ALOT more labor intensive though because it would basically be like removing the turbos. If no leaks are verified, I would start doing what your currently doing, otherwise you may be chasing a rabbit in circles.

Also does smoke come out both your pipes or one pipe or even one more than the other? If one pipe, this could be more of an indication that it could be turbo seal related as opposed to a general system issue like PCV/CCV.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Performance View Post
First thing I would do before going off to spend a bunch of money replacing parts not knowing what will do the trick is take off the downpipes and inspect the turbines to see if there is any evidence of oil leaking past the turbine seals. That's the quick and easy inspection. For a more full proof and detailed inspection of the turbines, I would remove the turbine housing and check under the turbine heat shield if there is any evidence of leak, this is ALOT more labor intensive though because it would basically be like removing the turbos. If no leaks are verified, I would start doing what your currently doing, otherwise you may be chasing a rabbit in circles.

Also does smoke come out both your pipes or one pipe or even one more than the other? If one pipe, this could be more of an indication that it could be turbo seal related as opposed to a general system issue like PCV/CCV.
+1 This is what you need to do to start ruling things out. If you remove the dp's and see oil in the housing, it's the turbo seals. However, the way yours smokes sounds like something different to me. But everyone's smoking issue is a little different. The oldest n54's are now 9 years old. After years of abuse it could be anything...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #12
mankytron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N111CUK View Post
Sure a little bit, as long as the engine is still turning over fast and the throttle plate is closed, but not like running up to redline and letting it slow down gradually leaving it in gear...with the throttle closed. I would def check simple first, like others have said. Pcv valve and hose, and visual on turbos with dp off.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #13
mankytron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Has someone done a valve stem seal DIY? or is this a case to run seafoam in the motor oil or do a motor flush?
I have never seen a diy on valve stem seals, it would be fairly involved. In some engines it can be done under hood without pulling the head. Cams come out, compressed air in cylinder to hold valves up, and valve train disassembled to pull old seal and install new seal. On high mile engine valve guides could be worn also causing oil burning. I am not sure if the n54 has replaceable guides or not.

Seafoam or motor flush may help with stuck gummed up rings, but likely due nothing to hard leaky valve stem seals.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #14
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Performance

I've booked a ramp in a weeks time to get under it and remove the downpipes.

your absolutely right it's best to rule out the turbos early on.

I bought the valve cover in the event I need it during my time ripping into it. I'll try a new oem pcv valve first as this is a 10min job. if the cover isn't needed I'll get a refund.

if the turbos are OK then it's on with the new valve cover.

fingers crossed that it's simple
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #15
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankytron
Quote:
Originally Posted by N111CUK View Post
Sure a little bit, as long as the engine is still turning over fast and the throttle plate is closed, but not like running up to redline and letting it slow down gradually leaving it in gear...with the throttle closed. I would def check simple first, like others have said. Pcv valve and hose, and visual on turbos with dp off.
I could test the theory by driving it then put it in nuteral whilst applying breaks I'll keep the throttle open by blipping the throttle
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Many n54s smoke a little when completely catless. That's why most people keep the secondary cats in. Not sure where the smoke comes from. My last 335i smoked a little after completely catless with only 40k miles on it and stock turbos.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #17
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Slap a go pro on the rear of the car. Go for a drive and post vids.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

could I not use a borescope to get a look at the turbines.

Maybe via the post cat lambda sensor bung. I have catless downpipes of course
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #19
MM Performance
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT

Quote:
Many n54s smoke a little when completely catless. That's why most people keep the secondary cats in. Not sure where the smoke comes from. My last 335i smoked a little after completely catless with only 40k miles on it and stock turbos.
Don't mistake steam with smoke. I'm fully catless and running straight e85. This combo produces quite a bit of steam, byproduct of e85 combustion.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #20
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
what do you think about my theory in OP where exhaust pressure might effect bearing seals.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #21
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Slap a go pro on the rear of the car. Go for a drive and post vids.
I don't have a go pro. I'll try and improvise something else.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #22
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Don't mistake steam with smoke. I'm fully catless and running straight e85. This combo produces quite a bit of steam, byproduct of e85 combustion.
I'm pump and 100% meth. it's also stinky and lingers in the air.

on idle I do have some steam but this vanishes in the air so I'm sure which is which.

I'll try and get video footage
Appreciate 0