E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > When you want to ask your dealership for a test drive.. *help

09-12-2006, 12:13 AM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
When you want to ask your dealership for a test drive.. *help

What do you have to say? do you usually just walk into the dealership and say "I want to test drive that car!"?

should I dress formal or casual? should I be honest and tell them that Im not interested in buying it yet?

I plan on test driving a lot of cars next few months. I'll probably be test driving anything with 2 doors in united states. Some cars include pretty pricey ones(MB/BMW/Porsche dealerships), so I don't want to look like a moron just looking to abuse some nice cars, go home and share with friends about it. I want to give this kind of image to the dealership 1.im serious, 2. not ready to buy, but they should treat me in proper manner because I will be purchasing one of it.

any tips?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I gather you're young. But so long as you bring your license and proof of insurance with you, you shouldn't have a problem. Just be yourself and be honest with them. Let them know you're beginning the process of selecting a car and that you plan to test drive several brands. If you're very young and someone else is going to pay for it and you get asked any questions in that regard, just say that once you've decided on a car, they'll come down with you to take care of the paperwork.
      09-12-2006, 02:43 AM   #3
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
you have to make the dealer believe that your considering on buying the car... gotta know about the market obviously... ie. for e92... talk about the upcoming g35, the upcoming tsx coupe, maybe talk about the clk? and then you just talk about how you test drived this and that and how you liked it... and i guess either you will have to be upfront and gradually lead to the big question or hearing that you've test driven the other cars... they'll offer to let u test drive. but yeah you have to sound interested... which is the main part. i think dressingcasual but not jeans or shorts would be good... i mean you dont wnana look scrub... you want to look like you can walk the talk and afford a bmw. since u have a bmw, you might consider showing yours and kind of play it like ur considering on doig a trade in... whatever gets you the keys of the e92 in the end. yadamean.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
I would call first. Sometimes you can even schedule/request test drives on dealer websites.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Here's my test drive experience.

I went to a dealer in the states in August 2005 because I was interested in the US spec 330ci. I'd read the brochure and knew the overall features of the car. I didn't understand all of the ins and outs of some of the features because the brochure doesn't elaborate much on them, i.e., the comfort access for one.

I didn't wear jeans; a pair of slacks and a polo shirt (I think it may even have had the MG logo on it). I had even shaved. Hair needed a bit of a trim but judging by the state of people's hair these days, it wasn't out of line.

I told the salesman that I was living overseas and was a bit uneasy asking if I could test drive one knowing that I wasn't going to be able to buy it from them. The salesman asked if I had a stateside driver's license and when I showed it he took a xerox of it, got the keys to a 330i, and we took a nice, spirited drive through the city. He started the drive and gave an impressive demonstration of the acceleration from a traffic light (the car's, not the traffic light's since we all know they are inherently slow) from which it took me half a block to crawl back from the rear seat. At the end, we talked some more about the car's features, the pros and cons of each. I expressed my regret about the purchasing but thanked him for the drive. He wished me well and hoped that when I moved back to the states that I would consider future purchases from him. Did I project the proper image? I think so. Did he? I think so, too. Would I buy from him in the future? That all depends on too many factors to give an answer at this moment.

I got the 330i. I could have gotten 2006 model 330ci but comparing the seating there was no contest. I could have waited a year for the 335i but I'd have spent the past nine months toodling around in an eleven year old 4Runner instead of what I now have and what fun is that in comparison? With the 335i the seating would still have been a compromise.

I had a similar experience with a Mercedes dealership and drove the SLK 320 (wasn't going to even consider something with a misspelt word on the fender).

My apologies for the lengthy report.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
i am 23 and my parents will probably be buying me a car whenever i get into medschool. i have toyed around with the idea of a 335i but im not counting on it. either way i am absolutely obsessed with the car.

i went in the day that they got an e92 [by luck]. he said the keys were in the service dept for pdi but took me to look at it. i signed up my info for them and the dude keeps calling me now. last week he said "we just got a 335i in.. you shoudl come by and we will let you get on it"

anyway i just went in, said that i wanted to look, asked some specific questions that i had in mind... about rear space, potentially flimsy seatbelt delivery arm thingy... and ED.

its to the dealers benifit to give you attention i think. those guys probably like cars as much as you do, and if they werent out taking a chance on you and giving you a testdrive? what else would they do? its their job. i dont know much about what they do all day but im sure they would rather be outside in a bmw driving around with someone than to be behind their desk doing whatever it is that they do. its not like people are lined up outside to ride it like an amusment park ride... and i think most of them realize that its the guy who shows up in shorts and tshirt who will be able to buy the whole lot.

most importantly, if you really are serious... they will figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #7
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

lol dressing up for a test drive is silly. Just don't walk in like a sloth, unless you really are a multi-millionare. Then no one will care.

If you call ahead, they'll probably be more apt to let you test drive a car.

Hint: If you go to high volume dealers, sometimes they let you take out the car by yourself pretty easily.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I don't think any unusual preparation is needed for a simple test drive. Just walk in, tell them that you are interested in several cars and need a test drive in order to make your decision.

I agree with one of the other posts, mentioning a competing brand will make them even more ready to give you a test drive. You may even consider giving them a call to set up an appointment if you want an "extended" test drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #9
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Depending on the area; just express interest and knowledge about the competitors for the car class and just bring your DL. They have insurance on their vehicles, don't bring yours. As for dress? These days? They cannot tell the difference between a millionaire and street offal, these days people dress the same, just one has more smell. And any mid range experience salesman will tell you they cannot sometimes tell until they pass it to the finance department.

More experienced sales reps will go by a persons body language, interest, and read their intent than by grammar and their dress.

An instant test drive would be to say "Well, I think I'm going to get the IS350..its cheaper and has more comfort and more HP then the 3 series."
..."But the BMW maintenance program would help save in place of the Lexus maintenace costs....Is the handling that much better?" well IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #10
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Lux, just curious, did you test drive your 330i?

for me, I dressed casual, and make sure you research the car you're test driving beforehand, and let the salesman know that you have some knowledge about the car and just ask for a test drive
      09-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #11
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

just call the person who sold you the e90 330i and schedule a test drive. Say you are interested in comparing the coupe with your 4Doors. Probem solved....
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
e46rocket
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW 325i

well i tell them i'm thinking about upgrading. they ask what do you drive now, i point out the window (where the car is parked) "that bmw xxxx". then they ask me if i wanna test drive, i say "sure". they take copy of my license and hand me the keys. the sales guy doesnt even go with me.

i dont know if they treat non-bmw owners the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #13
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

if you walk into a dealer wearing a rolex watch, you are guarantee a test drive for sure...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #14
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I'm 23 as well and on my searching missions I went to several different car makers. My first stop was BMW(ironically the same dealership I got my 325i from) back in february, initially looking for my parents new car. I test drove a 06 330i pretty loaded, 06 X3 and didn't want to take anymore time and passed on driving an 06 X5. The dealership was being remodeled and the salesman were in trailers at the time. I just drove in began looking on the lot, got approached, explained my reason for looking and began test driving.

In June I began to actually look for myself. I have a family friend that works at a larger area dealership that knows people at others so I had him contact Lexus and let them know I was coming. I was so sold on the new IS250 AWD that I would have taken it that day if the deal was right. I walked in met my friends friend and was introduced to a salesman. He walked me around the IS in the showroom and gave me the keys to testdrive on my own. Came back and worked numbers, and I must say Lexus is out of their mind. They wanted 6k out of pocket, my car(after buy out had 3k in equity) on a 36mo/15k mile lease = $431/mo payments. I obviously thought HELL NO! and politely said no and I'll think about it again in a few months.

I then went to Audi. Walked in met a salesman, explained my situation and was immediately on a testdrive by myself. I didn't work numbers but initially thought I would go back. Absolutely nothing wrong with the salesman but wasn't too keen on all the bad wrap mechanically I hear about Audi's, but that's another story.

My 3rd trip was back to the BMW dealership I first went to. One day I was doing some searching on-line and laughed to myself how I couldn't possibly get a BMW since I was so anally hurt at Lexus. I saw the special on BMW's and laughed and this time got my dad to go with me to possibly fend of some ill treatment because of my age. We had already had a salesman in line from my previous involvement with the dealership. The original salesman had left but another guy picked up our account and did great follow-up calls so I stuck with him. Walked in met our guy and began to tell him I wanted a 325xi because of the sometimes harsher Cleveland winters(this is why I was sticking to AWD cars in my previous testdrives). He explained they had none on the lot and would be hard to get one since they have been in such high demand? I wasn't interested in factory ordering one this time, since I'm only 23 and felt I have plenty of time in my life to get the exact car I want so I didn't want to spoil myself now. I testdrove the 325i and the salesman gave a much nicer testdrive then the original salesman. I decided I didn't particually need the xi so we worked numbers on the i. Got offered more money for my car. They honered the on-line deal plus some, and got me a payment I was willing to pay a month. I prolly could have gotten a little better deal and I now wish I would have gotten the 15K mileage instead of the 12K, and maybe nav and sport package but I was so aww struck that I could afford the BMW I jumped all over the deal. Plus again, I'm only 23 and there's always next time.

All 3 of my summer dealership appearances I wore either a lacoste/burberry polo with shorts and flipflops. My winter appearance I was wearing either of the two polos, a Arc'teryx jacket(for those who don't know, wayyyy better than northface or equivelant and more $$$), with jeans and running shoes.

Sorry for the length but since you seemed to be close to my age I wanted to give a little more in-depth detail to help your shopping quest. Don't be afraid to ask, and especially don't be afraid to walk away.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0