E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan CAI $$$

02-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #23
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyner328 View Post
Many others are owners like yourself, I being one of them, and that's an extremely harsh generalization to make when you say "relying on a garage hobbiest." You're putting Dinan on a pedestal because it's your personal preference and this does not make other products inferior... hardly. There is a lot more than just "ratcheting up the boost," claiming something like that just makes me facepalm.
Really? You found my comments offensive? Harsh, unfair and innacurate? Welcome to my mod world. I am the antithesis to the moronic Dinan bashers. I am their nemisis. I bash back.
      02-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #24
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep
Drives: Slow

Garage List
What bashing? You mean, making outlandish claims that the vast majority of the tuning world outside of Dinan are a bunch of "garage hobbiests" that base the foundations of their countless hours spent engineering is simply put as "racheting up boost for big numbers?" Please.
      02-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #25
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Have you looked into the other tunes? Terry has likley put many more hours into the jb3 than dinan ever has and he constantly updates it, FOR FREE! I think you should find a friend with 2.0 and then make your decision. In addition the customer service is nuts over at bms. I had an o2 sensor/bmisfire issue and terry exchanged over 50 emails with me in one day. Guess what else, I didnt even buy it new. I respect where you are coming from with the tune and how the warranty makes you feel safe but the fact of the matter is that there are much better options as far as performance and as long as you cover your ass (bt tool) then there is no reason you should have any issues (assuming you remove all other mods if any). Also you should look at some of the tune only cars as they are putting down insane power (much more than a full stage 2 dinan car).
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #26
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

The piggies in general don't appeal to me. It's a bass ackwards way of going about it. Nor am I excited about clearing codes and having to remove parts to put one over on the dealer and BMW. As for insane power, that's the problem - boost is being jacked up to unreasonable amounts. Here's the point - Dinan has access to the ECU and crank up boost to whatever they want. They choose to increase it to the amount that they did because of concerns about engine safety. To go with it, they modified the water cooling signals to address heat issues as well as numerous other engine management functions.

Getting back on topic, running S3, I have enough boost. I've added a larger FMIC. Now I'm adding a well-designed CAI that will add respectable HP and TQ as well as performance to work with the boost.
      02-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #27
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep

Garage List
Is that what your SA told you?
      02-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #28
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan 2008

You can't justify it. You get it for a small increase in HP but a Kickass look. You either want it or not. i have the Gruppe M which is even more. Had I not gotten it I would get the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #29
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Dinan=Name. That's all your paying for.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #30
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Is that what your SA told you?
Nope. Didn't talk to my service rep at all. I made a reasonable effort to inform myself before modifying an engine that I own that would cost me well over $10 K to replace. If your interested in learning more about about the Dinan tune is what it is before attempting to critique it, Dinan's white paper on saftey strategies for the 335 N54 engine is a good read (even if you are running a different tune)

http://www.dinancars.com/assets/File...%20revised.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8MF View Post
You can't justify it. You get it for a small increase in HP but a Kickass look. You either want it or not. i have the Gruppe M which is even more. Had I not gotten it I would get the Dinan.
The Gruppe M intake looks hot, even nicer than the Dinan. But it doesn't incorporate a secondary CAI drawing cooler air through a shielded cone filter like the Dinan. Using this approach on a tuned N54 showed respectable gains even using throw together parts as what Mr. 5 found.

In my case, I can look forward +14 Hp @ 6000 rpm and +16ft-lbs TQ @ 3400 rpm. On a WOT run, that's 14 more HP on the top end and 16 more torque right on the next shift.

I just might be able to keep up with those running dangerous amount of boost with a piggy and illegal cats. ;-)
      02-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #31
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep

Garage List
Dangerous is probably not the best word to use. Of all those points, publicly stated, in Dinan's white paper... you don't think that other engineering camps are using the same level of diligence and thoroughness in developing their products?

JB3, GIAC, Procede, CP-E, etc, ALL of which are operating in the "safe" spectrum of boost.
      02-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #32
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

I'm not sure if you guys have seen the intake in person....yes it shiny and yes its carbon fiber, but guess what...it's just the top half. It's not even a full intake, just a cover and the bends for the down pipe have kinks in it. Besides who drives with their hoods open to show off that nice intake? That's basically what it is, for looks. I would rather spend 1k on something else like the majority of people in here with common sense. Just my 2 cents
      02-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #33
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dangerous is probably not the best word to use. Of all those points, publicly stated, in Dinan's white paper... you don't think that other engineering camps are using the same level of diligence and thoroughness in developing their products?

JB3, GIAC, Procede, CP-E, etc, ALL of which are operating in the "safe" spectrum of boost.
Do "other engineering camps" include tuners experimenting on their car in in the comfort of their garage? I can see that a company like GIAC may have an engineering "camp". How many engineers are on your tuner's payroll?
      02-16-2010, 01:47 AM   #34
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep

Garage List
Uh, tuners? You mean... people like you and I?

Anyways, why don't you tell us how many engineers worked on developing that CAI. If you have 10+ engineers working on it then you have totally justified the cost.
      02-16-2010, 02:10 AM   #35
Bluechipper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Vert

Some company could easily make a knockoff of the Dinan intake, on the cheap.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #36
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Back in my E36 M3 mod days (see 96 to 03) I had a buddy that spent a ton of money on his E36 M3 and it was all Dinan parts installed by his local BMW dealer. He did the full Dinan package even the super charger and was a big advocate of their parts even posting all his reviews and dynos on internet forums.

After a year or so he decided to add an Alcohol Mist system to the car to boost SC performance.

Fast forward another year and the Dinan exhaust basically disintegrated right before his eyes. He took the car to the dealer and tried to inact the Dinan warranty.

Dinan's answer was that they knew, from monitoring the forums, that he was running an alcohol mist system from another manufacturer and THAT alcohol mist system was the cause of the exhaust system falling apart.
No warranty on the exhaust... "Sh*t out of luck on your exhaust buddy. But thanks for all the write-ups and jocking of our products". Great customer service.

The funny thing is he went and bought an Active Autowerke exhaust system (to replace the Dinan) and there was not a single exhaust problem going forward for another 3 years or so.

Moral of the story for the Dinan Users: Better keep the mods ALL Dinan or you'll be sleeping with one eye open wondering if your parts will be covered in the event of something going wrong.
Appreciate 0