E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Does anyone else have this problem with HPB Lighting???

07-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
bigshotx1
Member/ E92 Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335ix

Thumbs down Does anyone else have this problem with HPB Lighting???

I was looking for a reputable kit and it seems HPB was, although I am extremely dissatisfied with this kit thus far. I contacted them directly to insure I was getting what was expected and did not want anything "too bright." I was told by there rep that they started making a kit that insured "factory bright whiteness without being so bright."

I went ahead and purchased this kit, look at pictures attached.

As you can see there is a way different color projected front the factory LEDs of the door handle which are WHITE then the HPB bulb which gives a dull green appeal. I contacted them about the problem and they told me they were aware of this and that it was the lens that makes them look this way.

I was flabbergasted that they knew what this was and have stopped responding to my emails for further replacement and satisfaction of their product.

They did offer me the option to purchase an additional kit from them which would include a housing that would fix the problem.

I am not interested in purchasing an ADDITIONAL kit.. I am so unsatisfied of their product and professional service.

Does anyone else have this problem??

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

No problems with mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'm pretty sure you were told and understood that your factory courtesy light (from BMW) had a tint of green to it and that was causing the green hue and the only remedy was to get a new courtesy housing.

To reiterate the lighting kit is not the problem, it's your car, sorry.

It seems that you are misunderstanding what you are unsatisfied with and it's not the LED Interior kit but your car's components and manufacturing flaw from the BMW factory. Any vendors LED kit would have done the same thing as the flaw is your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

No problems here- been running an HPB interior LED kit for nearly 2 years...zero issues and the perfect amount of brightness!

Depending on the year of the car, generally speaking, the older it is the worse the issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
bigshotx1
Member/ E92 Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I'm pretty sure you were told and understood that your factory courtesy light (from BMW) had a tint of green to it and that was causing the green hue and the only remedy was to get a new courtesy housing.

To reiterate the lighting kit is not the problem, it's your car, sorry.

It seems that you are misunderstanding what you are unsatisfied with and it's not the LED Interior kit but your car's components and manufacturing flaw from the BMW factory. Any vendors LED kit would have done the same thing as the flaw is your car.
I was told after the fact of purchasing them, putting them in, and discovering a problem with them (they aren't white). Correction*, they are white but fail to show it because of a problem HPB knew of and continued to willingly sell it. Do all BMW's have a factory courtesy light (from BMW) with a tint of green to it?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Hi guys!

So as something of a lighting guru, let me try and dispel some misconceptions here.

First off, this is *not* the fault of the HPB kit. In fact, this happens with all LED bulbs used in the door lights, and the difference in color can even be seen using measuring equipment with the factory incandescent bulbs. The reason it happens only in the door lights and not in the footwells is very simple.

The footwell bulb holder and lens is a semi-open design, while the door/courtesy light bulb holder is fully sealed for water resistance. My testing would indicate that the combination of the opaque lens and the cream-white plastic housing is shifting the color temperature. It can be seen in my review of the HighPerformanceBulbs.com kit from 2012.

I'm sorry this bothers you--and I don't mean that in a condescending way! It bothered me a little bit too. 99 people out of 100 won't notice it, but once you see it...well you can't unsee it. There's not much that HPB, or any vendors on here can do. If it bothers you enough, then do what I did and get the upgraded modules. They're exponentially brighter and the color temperature matches the upgraded footwells and the upgraded domes perfectly.

Additionally, the kit was never advertised (as far as I know) as matching the color tint of the door handle LEDs. Tints vary slightly amongst a manufacturer (which is why tint and brightness bins exist) and they vary between manufacturers as well! You won't be able to get a "perfect" match unless you use identical LEDs and lens material.
Appreciate 0