E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni FSD

11-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #23
hahayan
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0 Si Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan@Creative
Let us know if any of you guys are interested in the V2's we're looking to do another KW X mas Special.

how special ?

how is that compared to PSS9 ?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2006, 09:54 PM   #24
ShinBalNom
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboi
h&r adds a bit of a stiffness to the ride but the drop is perfect, i guess you're not into that.. lol
Yes... I agree. The drop on H&R is poi-fect~!

Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly...

BBS CK 19" / Eibach Pro-Kit / Koni FSD / Blacklines / M-tech
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 12:26 PM   #25
acizek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 M550d, F01 750i

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macboi
h&r adds a bit of a stiffness to the ride but the drop is perfect, i guess you're not into that.. lol
how much would you want for your setup? how long have you been using it?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #26
macboi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 e90

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acizek
how much would you want for your setup? how long have you been using it?

i have it for 3k miles on them, i usually park my car at home on weekdays cause i have a work car. i want $600 shipped for them so i can get the KWv2
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #27
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

FSD Is highly recommended... comes on the Lambo Gallardo. We recommend it over Koni Yellow for street use.
JL
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #28
Bimmer325
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

you know, some says FSD is good for street use but whehn combine with the H&R, its harsh some says...worst when going over bad roads...

KW V2 is adjustable, some says its on par with OEM comfort level while some says they are generally stiffer & its a waste of money...coz lot of ppl want KW V2/V3 when they are not tracking, they just want to say..."i have XXX coilvers..." when someone asked him "your car is slammed and sexy...what springs....?"

so, whats the deal here? i can afford the KW V2, should i just go ahead with it once and for all without looking back?

for the pros on KW V2, pls share your view....
325i Arctics M-Sport, Gray Leather with Alu Trim, ///M DCT Paddleshift, ///M Gear Knob, BBS LM-R 19", Michelin PS2, KW V2, H&R Anti Roll Bars, BMW Performance Air Intake System, 3D Front Lip, ACS Roof Spoiler, OEM Boot Spoiler, Osram 6000K, Brex White Ring, PIAA 6200K HID Fog, PIAA License Plate LED, BMS Powerbox
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #29
Pb12in
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i f32 6MT

I had Koni FSDs installed on my e92 328 (ZSP) about 600 miles ago, and have a mixed reaction to them. My intent for this upgrade was to correct some instability in the rear end over uneven surfaces at speed, and when making very quick and hard left/right (right/left) maneuvers. My impressions of these dampers with the OEM springs and OEM 18" RFTs follow.

Ride quality: For everyday driving, the FSDs are significantly plusher. They do a much better job of not transmitting road irregularities. The downside is degraded awareness of the subtleties of the road surface, which is not an issue for normal driving, but can be for spirited driving.

Handling: The overall handling characteristics are better, but are still compromised. The problem with hard and quick transitions mentioned above has gone away. The problem with bumps while turning at speed is better, but is still an issue. Going over an irregularity at speed while moving the steering wheel induces a brief wallow in the rear end. This appears to be caused by insufficient rebound damping at the rear. Similarly, when going straight over a large dip, it takes the rear a bit too long to completely damp out, although this is not degraded from stock. Also, I have noticed something new that may have been there with the stock setup and didn't detect. At lower speeds turning over a bump, the rear wheel tends to skip briefly. On the improvement side, turn-in is better. Also it is easier to approach the limits on a moderate speed curve (think of a 270 degree exit ramp). Once, I looked down at the speedometer on a known curve and was surprised to find I was going 10 mph faster than I thought.

So overall for my personnel preferences, this is an upgrade, but I am disappointed at the insufficient damping in certain aggressive situations. They are also a bit too plush for my tastes. I was hoping the dual frequency aspects of the design would maintain a decent ride quality, but would also be more "race-like" for aggressive driving. In my opinion, Koni biased the tuning more towards ride quality than I was expecting. There may be another factor in this though. The dampers were apparently designed/tuned prior to the e92 introduction. My understanding is the e92 had its suspension adjusted to enhance performance with RFTs. If true, the FSDs could be optimized for other 3 series cars, just not the e92.

My personnel bias for perfect handling is reflected in this write-up. I am happy with the FSDs as nothing is worse and there are improvements, although they are not perfect for my tastes. Maybe nothing is. I am going to give them a bit more time to decide if the perceived shortcomings warrant a different set of dampers. Based on what I have seen in the forums, Koni FSDs would likely be an excellent upgrade for most users.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 02:36 AM   #30
acizek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 M550d, F01 750i

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
thanks for this, really useful

now I am wondering whether to go with the FSD or the new KW Street Comfort... I don't really want it for racing, just better handling and not losing the comfort (or myabe adding to it a bit...)...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #31
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
At lower speeds turning over a bump, the rear wheel tends to skip briefly.
My car does that on oem.

Hopefully I'll get some time this month to worry about tires and my suspension install. (I've been sitting on my suspension and wheels for months now) I won't be able to give a completely accurate review compared to oem though, as I'll be swapping out with the eibach/fsd combo kit and putting on 19" wheels w/ non-rft rubber.

Too many variables to really make it a like for like comparison but I'll post my impressions.

I generally like the zsp, but I'm hoping to eliminate some of the impact harshness that the zsp/rft combo has over expansion joints and sharp transitions. Which I hope to do with the fsds and the lighter wheel/tire combo.
Appreciate 0