E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Non Runflats - not sure now ?

09-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #23
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581273
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #24
Jules6
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Garage List
Purely on my experience (and I have been running non rfts for 35k miles) I would agree with Gizze, as I have found that running my Contis at 3-4psi above the sticker pressures is not only both best for feel and grip but also can't be too far out as the wear is spot on.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #25
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

That was actually the reason I spoke with Michelin originally, I was getting excessive wear on the inside edge, as do many with run flats, and they told me that they were under inflated and they were wearing on the inside more due to the way BMW set up the angles.
So I went from 34psi to 38psi and after that they were fine, wore perfectly from them on.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #26
bnasim
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

So I took the plunge and fitted vredestein ultrac sessanta's to my E92.

Although they appear chunkier and less sleek than the Bridgestones, so far so good and the ride has been great.

I have set the pressure to 2.7 rear and 2.6 front. How does that sound?

The only problem is that Ive been advised to fit new valves on them as the existing ones are rusty and needs replacing.

Apparently they are a special order from BMW and normal standard valves wont do? They are metal valves. I have 19" wheels.

Is that the case? Ive called around the dealerships and they have to be ordered in.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #27
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCi MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
That was actually the reason I spoke with Michelin originally, I was getting excessive wear on the inside edge, as do many with run flats, and they told me that they were under inflated and they were wearing on the inside more due to the way BMW set up the angles.
So I went from 34psi to 38psi and after that they were fine, wore perfectly from them on.
This makes sense to compensate for the weaker sidewalls of the non rft's. The stiff sidewalls of the rft's are the cause for the increased stiffness in ride quality. The weaker more flexible sidewalls will give this slightly wandering feeling, however grip levels wont generally be decreased (tyre dependant i.e premium vs budget) by this and often will actually increase the grip levels as the tyres are less likely to break away when pushed to the limit.

I used to do a lot of track day'ing a few years back in hot hatches, and the only decent tyres we could get to fit our rims (5.5x13) were taller sidewall profiles than we could use on the road. You did get this slighly jelly feel to the suspension and steering, however combined with stiff suspension set up it actually felt more controllable on the limit as you could feel the tyres breaking away. The stiffer lower profile tyres will tend to just breakaway without warning. Its all about the trade off.

Only thing i would say about running higher pressures is to consider what the maximum pressure rating of the tyre. If you are close to the limit you must also consider that when running on hot days and higher speed/loading conditions that the tyre pressure will rise...sometimes by 5 degrees!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #28
witeagle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW Z4 2.8i * 10 BMW X3

So what do you folks do for the spare that run non-RFT?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #29
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
That doesnt answer anything.

At the end of that thread you state that the pressures were higher on the E46 than on the E9x.

Its a completely different car - geo, weight, everything!
      09-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #30
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianSi View Post
I used to do a lot of track day'ing a few years back in hot hatches, and the only decent tyres we could get to fit our rims (5.5x13) were taller sidewall profiles than we could use on the road.

You did get this slighly jelly feel to the suspension and steering, however combined with stiff suspension set up it actually felt more controllable on the limit as you could feel the tyres breaking away. The stiffer lower profile tyres will tend to just breakaway without warning. Its all about the trade off.
The reason your taller 'track' tyres apparently generated more grip is down to the increased slip angles

This is just one reason why RFTs are a crap choice on a performance car (and why they are not on the M cars)

The sidewall has almost no flex so you likely won't get to optimum slip angles for the tyres - and therefor optimum grip levels.

And another reason why making the non RFT retrofit sidewalls harder by pumping up the TP is not always a great idea.
You may have a 'perceived' increase in turn in 'feel' but you can LOSE 'grip'. One makes no difference to the cornering ability, the other makes a large contribution

Steve.

Last edited by m1bjr; 09-09-2011 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #31
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Nissan GTR's have runflats and they handle well.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #32
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
plus one....

why tho...?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #33
bnasim
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
The reason your taller 'track' tyres apparently generated more grip is down to the increased slip angles

This is just one reason why RFTs are a crap choice on a performance car (and why they are not on the M cars)

The sidewall has almost no flex so you likely won't get to optimum slip angles for the tyres - and therefor optimum grip levels.

And another reason why making the non RFT retrofit sidewalls harder by pumping up the TP is not always a great idea.
You may have a 'perceived' increase in turn in 'feel' but you can LOSE 'grip'. One makes no difference to the cornering ability, the other makes a large contribution

Steve.
Out of interest what tyres are on the M cars? Does that mean they carry spare saver wheels and the kit that goes with it?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #34
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I didnt know that.
      09-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #35
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
People do complain about the ride of the GTR being harsh on the road, many of the reviews when it came out noted that.

However, I think people have very different expectations for the type of ride in a hardcore sports car compared to a family saloon........
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #36
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
I recently took the plunge and got shot of my runflats which were (as everyone knows) a pain in the backside. Splashed out on conti 5’s and initially was really pleased with the difference, however I am now not so sure now.
The handling and steering are just so much different now and not in a positive way, on runflats the car was on rails and if you pointed the car in a direction it would stay there until you touched the wheel with any sort of gesture. Now, the car appears to move from side to side, is no way near as planted as before and the steering feel so much lighter.

Could it be that the garage fucked the alignment up? Or is it more likely to be my head playing mind games. Don’t get me wrong, the car is much quieter and absorbs the craters in the road in a way which make the car a better place to be but I think I miss that firmness of the steering with runflats
I had basically the same experience. See thread - by post#8 I had changed the 19" RFTs to 19" non-RFTs and had the same feeling as you

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376130

You get used to it however - after a while you forget how much sharper it was on RFTs and it still handles very well on non-RFTs - its all relative.
      09-12-2011, 04:09 AM   #37
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
..You get used to it however - after a while you forget how much sharper it was on RFTs and it still handles very well on non-RFTs - its all relative.
It is all relaative, also every tyre/wheel change involves a set of compromises, trading one thing for another. Can't have the sharpest turn in, without losing somewhere else. It also depends what our priorities are, and how we try to achieve them.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #38
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Currently running 30.5 front 33.5 rear as per door plate on my non-rfts.

Given the advice here should i run 34/36 or go higher?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #39
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
That doesnt answer anything.

At the end of that thread you state that the pressures were higher on the E46 than on the E9x.

Its a completely different car - geo, weight, everything!

If you take the Alpina D3 which runs on Pilot Sport 2's and is the same as the 302d the pressures are 2.6 front and rear, which is just over 37psi.
Appreciate 0