E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Battery replacement

10-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Battery replacement

Hi Folks,

Today my service shop told me that my battery is almost dead and it could die on me anytime leaving me stranded. He wants to sell me the OEM battery at $280 + labor. Do you all think that is a good price?

Do I have to go OEM battery wise or can I get any other battery as well? If any other than OEM then what do you guys recommend?

Also does it need to be programmed or is it just a swap in swap out like we used to do in the older cars before there was such advanced technology in cars? Can i do it as a DIY without any programming cables and tools at hand?

Any inputs/suggestions are appreciated ASAP.

Cheers,
Sam.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
jwh335i
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I replaced mine with one I bought at Autozone. I did not reprogram although a lot of folks on this board insist on that. I have the INPA software but was too lazy to figure it out. It comes with a lifetime (or is it 5 years?) warranty so I am not worried.

I got my OEM battery to last 8 years because I have a smart charger and would top off the battery around once a month. To save fuel, batteries nowadays are chronically undercharged, which stresses them and shortens their life. So my recommendation to you is to just replace it yourself (it is a bit of a pain but readily doable by anyone with arms) and not worry about the programming. Get a smart charger and it will last 8 years... My autozone battery has lasted over two years now but my computer thinks the battery is 10 years old since I have a 2007 model. It was around $150 if i recall correctly.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Lots of threads about battery replacement so please do a search....

In short, you can almost do it yourself. You can buy any battery, but need to do a like for like replacement to avoid having to re-code. Determine your battery type (conventional vs. AGM) first.

Buy a good battery from any reseller. Typical good H8 conventional battery costs about $130. After replacing the battery, you should use software to register the battery (Tell the DCM that the car has a new battery) so it can reset the charge profile and not try to over / under charge the new battery.

That's it.
      10-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
Lots of threads about battery replacement so please do a search....

In short, you can almost do it yourself. You can buy any battery, but need to do a like for like replacement to avoid having to re-code. Determine your battery type (conventional vs. AGM) first.

Buy a good battery from any reseller. Typical good H8 conventional battery costs about $130. After replacing the battery, you should use software to register the battery (Tell the DCM that the car has a new battery) so it can reset the charge profile and not try to over / under charge the new battery.

That's it.
Yes, I think the best option is to have some professional shop do it for me as I do not have the software or the cable to register it myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the inputs folks! This really helped me decide what route I want to go with.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

Couldn't you use Carly for bmw to program the battery?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Yes, I think the best option is to have some professional shop do it for me as I do not have the software or the cable to register it myself.
You can put the battery in yourself then pay someone 20-50 bucks to register it if you want. You still will save a ton of money. Or someone on here might be nice enough to do it for you. All you do is hook up a tool and push enter.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #8
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
Quote:
You can put the battery in yourself then pay someone 20-50 bucks to register it if you want. You still will save a ton of money. Or someone on here might be nice enough to do it for you. All you do is hook up a tool and push enter.
The more I look into this the more I think I? can do it as a DIY. I think Carly would be a great option and a 1 time investment
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:34 PM   #9
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMusician View Post
Couldn't you use Carly for bmw to program the battery?
I read up about Carly and it seems like a great option and fairly easy to do. Any idea if I need a lite version or the PRO version of the App for coding and registering stuff? Do i need their WiFi adapter also or just the cable is OK?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
You need the pro version of Carly to do anything. Certain features such as battery registration/coding is behind a separate paywall. Coding some modules won't work with aftermarket OBD2 adapters.

Another option is to use BMWLogger (free) and a cheap cable to register the new battery with the same specs.

https://goo.gl/9DCUyc

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017IG81SQ/
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
You need the pro version of Carly to do anything. Certain features such as battery registration/coding is behind a separate paywall. Coding some modules won't work with aftermarket OBD2 adapters.

Another option is to use BMWLogger (free) and a cheap cable to register the new battery with the same specs.

Ah ok. So basically if i get Carly then I need the pro version and their WiFi adapter or else go the bmwlogger and a cheap cable. Correct?

How reliable is BMWlogger vs. Carly?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post

Ah ok. So basically if i get Carly then I need the pro version and their WiFi adapter or else go the bmwlogger and a cheap cable. Correct?

How reliable is BMWlogger vs. Carly?
No, nothing?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #13
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Th PC programs are largely only as reliable as the cable and computer you use.

Use a good cable with a capable machine and you can do far more than you can with Carly.

That said, Carly tries to prevent you from making any fatal mistakes, takes reversible and verified backups before programming, and is idiot proof.

I use a laptop for anything that falls outside of the things Carly can do, but it is also nice to be able to pull the Carly adapter out of the glove compartment and run other diagnostic programs if I am traveling and encounter a problem.

I also use the Carly adapter to run readiness tests before doing an emissions test.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Th PC programs are largely only as reliable as the cable and computer you use.

Use a good cable with a capable machine and you can do far more than you can with Carly.

That said, Carly tries to prevent you from making any fatal mistakes, takes reversible and verified backups before programming, and is idiot proof.

I use a laptop for anything that falls outside of the things Carly can do, but it is also nice to be able to pull the Carly adapter out of the glove compartment and run other diagnostic programs if I am traveling and encounter a problem.

I also use the Carly adapter to run readiness tests before doing an emissions test.
Ok cool! Thanks for the insight
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #15
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Low ball him like what you usually do on the forum
Appreciate 0