E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > "well sorted": what does it mean?

08-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

"well sorted": what does it mean?

I don't know how to interpret the 2 words "well sorted". I frequently see guys who know lots about road racing use the phrase as code to other guys. I'm confident it means something like "optimally set-up" but what goes into a car getting those 2 words? When does a car earn them? Can a bone stock car ever be "well sorted"? What percentage of cars at a HPDE are "well sorted".

Please humor me... I just don't know. Oh, and if you're feeling generous, can you pass down the etymology of why racing guys say nine tenths instead of 90%?
________
Small Tits Webcam

Last edited by satakal; 08-16-2011 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
I don't know how to interpret the 2 words "well sorted". I frequently see guys who know lots about road racing use the phrase as code to other guys. I'm confident it means something like "optimally set-up" but what goes into a car getting those 2 words? When does a car earn them? Can a bone stock car ever be "well sorted"? What percentage of cars at a HPDE are "well sorted".

Please humor me... I just don't know. Oh, and if you're feeling generous, can you pass down the etymology of why racing guys say nine tenths instead of 90%?
To me, it means optimally setup.

Balance characteristics are sometimes a matter of taste, but I like a car that very very very slightly understeers. The suspension can't be too stiff such that it skips off of bumps but can't be too soft that you are scraping your outside side skirts, lol.

Good tires, light wheels, etc. The deficiencies are resolved - in other words, LSD in the 335i.

A stock car, setup for the standard street driver who lifts when he starts sliding, is always setup with severe understeer. A "well sorted" car will respond very unfavorably to sudden lift.

And most cars at HPDE, especially in the lower groups, are not well sorted. Guys will throw money at their cars, but end up with a car with a lot of disparate aftermarket bling-performance parts. The balanced package that solves a car's deficiencies can only be achieved through experienced trial and error.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
Asking for a definition of 'well sorted' is like asking for the definition of 'best'

I think 'it depends' on many things, including the perspective of the user and the intended purpose of the vehicle
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
To me it means many painstaking hours have been put into the car..tweaking spring rates/sway bars/rebound - high speed/low speed/alignment to get a very predicable car when at the limit...with just a tad of looseness...aka oversteer. Many adjustments have been made ...gradually improving the overall cornering capability (or whatever you are adjusting) to be very close to optimal (however subjective that may be)

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
OO---OO
Nekid Bandit
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

british term meaning like Hooked up pretty good. well hooked up.
Appreciate 0