E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JBL MS-8 Processor Integration Thread

06-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #419
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport

besides the housing connector, is there any difference between L7 vs. non in the tweeter itself?

Last edited by dukeandtheland; 06-21-2011 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #420
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeandtheland View Post
besides the housing connector, is there any difference between L7 vs. non in the tweeter itself?
Yes, different tweeter.
      06-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #421
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep

received the techni harness now I am confused

1st of all, a recap of what I am about to do

- Channels 1 & 2: OEM L7 door speakers (4" midrange and 1" tweeter)
- Channels 3 & 4: SWS8 under seats
- Channel 5: OEM L7 center 4" midrange with 1" L7 tweeter added
- Channels 6 & 7: OEM Rear Deck speakers & Rear side speakers in parallel
- Amplification: MS-8 internal amp for channels 1, 2, 5 - 7. Ch 3 & 4 externally amp'ed with 150W/Ch - Kenwood XR4s

- Dynavin Radio / Navigation to replace the stock radio HU

Now I looked at the harness, it looks difference from what you posted; or what technic posted
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350534

Is the harness meant only for the purpose of keeping the stock amp?
If it is, can I keep / need to keep the stock amp based on what I am describing above?
Is there any benefit of keeping 3 amps? the JBL MS8, the Kenwood for the 2 underseats, and the stock amp?

Sorry if the questions sound stupid but I need to tell my installer exactly what to do.

And why the pictures look different anyway? Here is the picture of what I have received:
---------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Set-up for the L7 OEM system plus tweeter on the center channel:

- Use FL, FR, and both underseat woofer outputs from the L7 amp. Use input 1 & 2 on the MS-8 for FL & FR, and input 7 & 8 (important!) for the sub channels.
- Run set-up procedure on MS-8 per instructions. For me, head unit volume needed to be at 49-50 clicks for the MS-8 to accept it. Check out this thread if you don't know how to do that: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...volume+friggin
- Channel mapping as follows: ch1 = FL Hi, ch2 = FR Hi, ch3 = FL Lo, ch4 = FR Lo, ch5 = ctr, ch6 = SL (side left), ch7 = SL (side left). Even if you are using only the rear shelf speakers, and not the rear doors, still call the "sides".
- During x-over set-up, tell it you have 2-way front, and all other speakers are "1-way". For the fronts, select the "high-pass" (which is actually a subsonic filter for the underseat woofers - a bit confusing) - I set mine at 35Hz. X-over between woofers and door mids I set at 150Hz for now. High-pass for the center and rear speakers 150Hz as well for now.
- During acoustic calibration, leave MS-8 volume at -20 dB. [edit: it works much better at -35dB]
- When calibration is done, unplug the mic from the unit (there have been some issues when the mic was left plugged in).

Those are the most important points. If I forgot something, I'll add it later.

Oh yes, and the easiest way to do the wiring is to use Technic's awesome top-hifi harness. You don't need to cut ANY OEM wires for this install!

Shamelessly bastardized harness:

(Technic, I take it my warranty is now void?)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #422
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Wow... this has been made very complex.

The addition of the Dynavin has caused confusion in your planning, and you don't yet seem to understand how everything works, or is going to work (not clear why your installer is incapable of figuring it out - isn't this his profession?)

Normally, the OEM L7 amp HAS to remain in the system - as the MOST-digital-to-analog converter, it's the only source of an analog signal - and then the MS-8 takes the analog output of the L7 amp and DSP-processes those signals. So the Technic harness in that situation gives you fronts and woofers signal OUT of the L7 amp, and speaker wires TO the L7 speakers.

But your amp is not going to work - the Dynavin won't work with it. It cannot give you signals. Since it won't work, it really doesn't matter if you keep it in the car or not (unless you are retaining the HU for SW download purposes, in which case, leave the amplifier as well).

So what you need to do is run RCA connectors (and a remote turn on wire) from the Dynavin all the way to the MS-8 RCAs, and then use the harness you already have to go from MS-8/new amp OUTPUT to OEM speaker wire. The output side from the L7 amp will be useless to you.

Why didn't the people who sold you all this gear help you with this?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #423
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^^^ exactly, you are only using one side of the harness to connect to the OEM connector at the OEM amp. Then cut the wires of the harness and connect them to the corresponding speaker outs of the MS-8 and Kenwood amp. Remember, the harness is there primarily to keep you OEM wiring untouched and to make connections easier, since the wires are already labeled.
      06-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #424
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep

Great explanation by VP, kaigoss69 and technic.

Truly the monkey wrench is the Dynavin HU. I haven't seen a tread started by anyone talking about Dynavin + JBL MS8 so, wood knocking, if I made it, I will post my experience because many Dynavin conversion requires a new amp, or two amps, being it JBL MS8 or something else due to the incompatibility of Logic 7.

This thread is devoted to the integration topic of JBL MS8 and has been the most helpful in that aspect.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #425
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
since the wires are already labeled.
The L7 harness wires are labeled?

The HiFi harness is labeled... but the L7 isn't, is it?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #426
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep

ahh, actually there is no label on the harness received
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #427
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yes, I'm pretty sure all the other people in the Dynavin thread who asked "How do I retain L7?" and got the answer to do what you're doing, balked at the whole project.

My earlier comment was not about you buying a harness and getting support - that's the least expensive part you have. You got an Ms-8 and a Dynavin and an amp - no help from any of those retailers?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #428
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep

Well, the issue is that this project involves multiple aspects, hence, multiple retailers who really haven't seen many examples of this Dynavin + JBL MS8 up and running. Paticularly, the Dynavin listed officially that it is NOT compatible with Logic 7 system and therefore it is not really providing any support.

Jeff who sells Dynavin is the closest support I can get and he has been helpful, althought I haven't really pushed him on the JBL integration side coz he is not really selling JBL ..lol

Now as a result, it leaves the end user to pull the technical infomation together, one by one, and thanks to this thread, I at least have a mapping to show to the installer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure all the other people in the Dynavin thread who asked "How do I retain L7?" and got the answer to do what you're doing, balked at the whole project.

My earlier comment was not about you buying a harness and getting support - that's the least expensive part you have. You got an Ms-8 and a Dynavin and an amp - no help from any of those retailers?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #429
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great explanation by VP, kaigoss69 and technic.

Truly the monkey wrench is the Dynavin HU. I haven't seen a tread started by anyone talking about Dynavin + JBL MS8 so, wood knocking, if I made it, I will post my experience because many Dynavin conversion requires a new amp, or two amps, being it JBL MS8 or something else due to the incompatibility of Logic 7.

This thread is devoted to the integration topic of JBL MS8 and has been the most helpful in that aspect.
You are analyzing too much. The Dynavin is not some magic box, it is an aftermarket head unit. It has RCA outputs. The MS-8 has RCA inputs. End of story.
      06-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #430
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

What, no labels? I could have sworn mine had labels.
      06-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #431
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep

see my photo above
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #432
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

HiFi harness has labels. Stereo harness uses EIA CEA color codes. Top HiFi harness, you have to wants it.

Quote:
Now as a result, it leaves the end user to pull the technical infomation together, one by one, and thanks to this thread, I at least have a mapping to show to the installer.
Or the people you bought all your gear from have no idea how to use it, but somehow earned your business.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #433
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Come on Ken, let it go. You know that people have other options, right?

If someone decides to not buy from you, they can still come on here and ask questions, and they may receive some level of "support" from other forum members, or even vendors if they chose to provide it, but they should not be subjected to ridicule, just because they bought their stuff somewhere else.
      06-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #434
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You misunderstand, Kai. Has nothing to do with me... but consumers should expect service. If you can't get service because you chose to buy from people who can't offer it, what's wrong with pointing that out? I haven't ridiculed him... but as usual, my price for free support has always been sarcasm. And I did not offer my comments in a vacuum. I offered them after chiming in to answer a technical question about gear not purchased from my company. I assume that part is OK?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #435
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep

It's okay. I still appreciate all the help I got! You guys have been awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #436
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

The very reason i purchased from VP Electricity is because not only did i get free and valued advice, i got lots of it and it was without the promise of a dollar sign from my end.

Thanks for your service to the forum VP
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #437
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
You misunderstand, Kai. Has nothing to do with me... but consumers should expect service. If you can't get service because you chose to buy from people who can't offer it, what's wrong with pointing that out? I haven't ridiculed him... but as usual, my price for free support has always been sarcasm. And I did not offer my comments in a vacuum. I offered them after chiming in to answer a technical question about gear not purchased from my company. I assume that part is OK?
I went this route and the guy is right, there are NO vendors that are going to help you out on an end to end solution. Jeff has been instrumental in helping me out, but at the end of the day you need to figure it out yourself. Having L7 adds a layer of complexity, just because you have to run new RCAs and replace the oem amp. I thought I can live with the BMW assist error, but I'm a little OCD and it starting to drive me freaking crazy. So, then you have to run the HU to the trunk. I can see why a lot of people don't go down this path. Although, I will have to say when it is complete and working it is a pretty sweet set up
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #438
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nobody expects service from eBay or other online vendors, especially not when it comes to interfacing their product with a totally different one. They expect low prices, that's it. Then they get the "service" part somewhere else, like on this forum. Their decisions should be respected, that's all I'm sayin'...
      06-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #439
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
see my photo above
When I say "labels" I mean words printed on the wires...but I guess it's still not there, is it?
      06-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #440
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep

No but I received a diagram from technic so I guess that serves the purpose.
Appreciate 0