E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Deep Chip - Primer, Bondo or Both?

06-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Deep Chip - Primer, Bondo or Both?

My 135i is Le Mans Blue and I have a stubborn paint chip on the lowest part of the driver's side door. It is deep, down to bare metal and about 1/8" in diameter. For the past 3 weeks, I've tried to repair it using a combination of Langka & factory touch-up pen and I've gone as long as week to let the paint cure. But once I apply the "Blob Eliminator" the paint comes off very easily, and humidity has not been a factor. I suspect the chip is so deep, it really requires a layer of primer which is why the touch-up paint won't adhere.

I'm going to remove the factory touch up paint and try this once more. Question is, given how deep the chip is, should I be applying bondo, primer or perhaps both? There's no dent; it's just paint removed and bare metal exposed. If I do go the bondo route, I was going to buy this. My initial thoughts on process:

1. Remove the touch-up paint, use sanding pen to clean out chip
2. Tape off surrounding area.
3. Apply small amount of bondo
4. Wetsand with 80 grit
5. Finish off with 2000 or 3000 grit
6. Apply 1 coat primer
7. Apply 1-2 coats of touch-up paint
8. Apply 1 coat clear coat
9. Polish

Am I over thinking this? Can I just skip the bondo and go straight to primer if there's no body damage?

Last edited by 3002 tii; 06-24-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
My 135i is Le Mans Blue and I have a stubborn paint chip on the lowest part of the driver's side door. It is deep, down to bare metal and about 1/8" in diameter. For the past 3 weeks, I've tried to repair it using a combination of Langka & factory touch-up pen and I've gone as long as week to let the paint cure. But once I apply the "Blob Eliminator" the paint comes off very easily, and humidity has not been a factor. I suspect the chip is so deep, it really requires a layer of primer which is why the touch-up paint won't adhere.

I'm going to remove the factory touch up paint and try this once more. Question is, given how deep the chip is, should I be applying bondo, primer or perhaps both? There's no dent; it's just paint removed and bare metal exposed. If I do go the bondo route, I was going to buy this. My initial thoughts on process:

4. Wetsand with 80 grit
6. Apply 1 coat primer
9. Polish

Am I over thinking this? Can I just skip the bondo and go straight to primer if there's no body damage?
I think you should be fine with just primer (maybe a couple of coats to ensure coverage) and then continue with your plan. I've only done this once before with pretty good results, but it can be done pretty well if you're patient. You should probably sand after the clear coat a bit to even it out (maybe even a bit after the color coat to scuff the clear around the chip and blend the new clear) and then polish. Let us know how it goes.

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post

4. Wetsand with 80 grit
6. Apply 1 coat primer
9. Polish

no bondo

your just opening a whole new can of worms than. you layer primer, let dry for 3hr, more, let dry, more....sand off excess. etc, etc

this process should take a whole weekend, you have to let things dry/harden before you sand excess off so it appears flush.
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0