E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW New Service Software!

08-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #111
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Depends on your definition of "no problem."
34.2 is not the real issue here. Diagnostics indicating tune use go way back, although codes that dealers can identify have changed. The important concern is BMW policy, regardless of type of tune or flash or software version. If they really want to see what you are up to FASTA data provides a lot of information. At the dealer-level you should be as 'invisible' now after clearing codes as you were with your prior software version.
Thanks Doc. I didn't clarify before, but by clearing codes I meant doing so using the Procede rev II's internal code clearing capability vs. a BT tool, which sounds like it's not an issue anyway.

As far as the FASTA data, do you know if this version will now capture more data than before? Just trying to figure out what impact, if any, this new version might have on me, basically.

Lastly, is it safer because of this new BMW software to now run doomsday maps instead of the non doomsday ones, even if one is on Rev II and can clear codes? I'm leaning that way...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #112
pellinore
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Isn't it illegal to collect that data, wouldn't it be a violation of our privacy.
I did some quick searching and what I found was that a diagnostic test is started and the results are sent back to BMW(FASTA) didn't seem like logs. One service post I found was a guy having problems with a phone, he didn't have an authorized one but the data didn't know. They said if the phone was hooked up while the FASTA data was sent than they would know.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #113
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Sorry, but I can't say mods are the only reason these cars fail. I lost my low pressure pump, then my clutch blew out, then my HPFP failed. I know the clutch isn't because of the US ethanol scam. My cousin owned a BMW convertible about 10-12 years go and she had constant problems with hers, mostly electrical stuff. My mom told me I should NOT buy this car and I did anyway. Guess mom's are still +1 even for a 33 year old :\

I am not mad, atleast they fixed the problems no questions asked. But this letter about 10 years / 120k miles??? Sorry, that is a FAIL meaning they really don't plan to fix the problem properly... I find it VERY hard to believe there is no fix, but I do believe it might be more than they are willing to spend and therefore they have to continue searching for a cheaper solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #114
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Thanks Doc. I didn't clarify before, but by clearing codes I meant doing so using the Procede rev II's internal code clearing capability vs. a BT tool, which sounds like it's not an issue anyway.

As far as the FASTA data, do you know if this version will now capture more data than before? Just trying to figure out what impact, if any, this new version might have on me, basically.

Lastly, is it safer because of this new BMW software to now run doomsday maps instead of the non doomsday ones, even if one is on Rev II and can clear codes? I'm leaning that way...
Most of these are Shiv Qs.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #115
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth@TechnicalDimensions View Post
...Our Porsche and Audi factory scan tools have been extremely expensive and what most would consider "unreasonable cost". The ISIS takes that to an entirely new level of cost-prohibitve...
I can't imagine indies would ever need ISIS. A simple data stream that would provide BMW with VIN & a few ECU details would be sufficient to then allow a password response back from BMW to unlock the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #116
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

ISIS sucks anyway...if they would spend more time fixing ISIS and less time worrying about whos tuning what...maybe it would actually work by now...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #117
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
ISIS sucks anyway...if they would spend more time fixing ISIS and less time worrying about whos tuning what...maybe it would actually work by now...
better yet, quit trying to find ways to screw people and just fix the damn HPFP, among other things...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #118
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellinore View Post
Isn't it illegal to collect that data, wouldn't it be a violation of our privacy.
I did some quick searching and what I found was that a diagnostic test is started and the results are sent back to BMW(FASTA) didn't seem like logs. One service post I found was a guy having problems with a phone, he didn't have an authorized one but the data didn't know. They said if the phone was hooked up while the FASTA data was sent than they would know.
They can look up their data and even determine what kind of phone you have hooked up to your car. In case it is non-approved and locks up your TCU, etc. Can the car transmit all this FASTA data without you knowing it? It seems it was be easy technically. The question is whether BMW is actually doing it.
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #119
ebeem
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M - Paket

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
They can look up their data and even determine what kind of phone you have hooked up to your car. In case it is non-approved and locks up your TCU, etc. Can the car transmit all this FASTA data without you knowing it? It seems it was be easy technically. The question is whether BMW is actually doing it.
once you become suspicious(exhaust,young guy,wheels or drop etc) they might take some extra time to just take a quick look at the data logs while your car is at the dealership.....
if they find something,great for them
if not,nobody has ever seen or heard anything and you could not prove that anybody looked in your ECU systems anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #120
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

So what does all this FASTA data contain? Does it log boost? How far back does it log (how many days worth)?

And related to that, but Procede specific, what does the ECU see as far as boost when boost is 14 PSI? Curious what would be logged...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #121
pellinore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
So what does all this FASTA data contain? Does it log boost? How far back does it log (how many days worth)?

And related to that, but Procede specific, what does the ECU see as far as boost when boost is 14 PSI? Curious what would be logged...
No one seems to know, it might not even log data. From searching around it's seems like when your dealer runs a diagnostic test the data from that test is sent to BMW and it's called FASTA. From my previous post BMW could not tell that an unauthorized phone was used, they could only tell if the phone was hooked up to the car at the time of the diagnostic test. But like I said no one seems to know for sure.
For the couple of people that have had warranty work denied they seem to have had the tune physically in the car, if this FASTA data contained so called tuner detection logs than I think we would have seen a lot more denied warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #122
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

Quote:
No one seems to know, it might not even log data. From searching around it's seems like when your dealer runs a diagnostic test the data from that test is sent to BMW and it's called FASTA. From my previous post BMW could not tell that an unauthorized phone was used, they could only tell if the phone was hooked up to the car at the time of the diagnostic test. But like I said no one seems to know for sure.
For the couple of people that have had warranty work denied they seem to have had the tune physically in the car, if this FASTA data contained so called tuner detection logs than I think we would have seen a lot more denied warranty work.
thats a good point.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #123
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
The only way they would question FASTA data pertaining to your phone would be if you had a $1500 locked up TCU that you were trying to claim under warranty. As far as denied warranty work, I just don't think there are many claims for long blocks or BLOWN turbos yet. I think in the beginning, some of the turbos were replaced simply for rattling wastegate issues, etc.
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #124
pellinore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
The only way they would question FASTA data pertaining to your phone would be if you had a $1500 locked up TCU that you were trying to claim under warranty. As far as denied warranty work, I just don't think there are many claims for long blocks or BLOWN turbos yet. I think in the beginning, some of the turbos were replaced simply for rattling wastegate issues, etc.
There was a guy here that got denied a fuel pump replacement because he had a tune in the car, wouldn't they be denying more people with this FASTA data. I just can't see them not denying warranty work if they have this data.
But I could be completely wrong, they could be logging everything we do in our car. I'll have to go over the terms of the sale and see if there says anything about being able to "spy" on us.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 02:00 AM   #125
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Well there's a lot of potentially depressing information in this thread. That Z06 is looking better and better, even if it doesn't have fit and finish quality of the 335i. Even if 50% of the stuff people are saying about BMW is true, it's too much.
      08-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #126
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

I'm in the IT, but if the car would store FASTA big time, my main question would be, were would they store this till the point that BMW reads it out... You cannot tell me that if you do not touch base with a BMW dealer in let's say 6 months, all the data could be stored somewhere in the ECU. That would require almost a hard drive on itself... of course depending heavily on what is stored, but the detailed data as some think over here, would require a big amount of storage somewhere in the ECU...
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3

Last edited by rismo; 08-23-2009 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #127
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
I'm on 34.2.0.4 and car feels as fast as ever.
      08-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #128
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rismo123 View Post
I'm in the IT, but if the car would store FASTA big time, my main question would be, were would they store this till the point that BMW reads it out... You cannot tell me that if you do not touch base with a BMW dealer in let's say 6 months, all the data could be stored somewhere in the ECU. That would require almost a hard drive on itself... of course depending heavily on what is stored, but the detailed data as some think over here, would require a big amount of storage somewhere in the ECU...
I was kind of wondering this myself but, I guess if they are only recording things like the minimum and maximum values of fuel trims, timing advance, boost, etc... it wouldn't take up that much room.

To actually record everything at a sample rate that would make any sense would be massive considering these cars can (haha) go a year between services.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #129
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rismo123 View Post

I suspect you are right about limited storage space for ongoing data. It would be huge to store all the engine parameters for months and months at a time.

I had a dialogue with Duram at Bavarian Technik about this and he was pretty certain that the DME stores continous data regarding your last 30 drives only.

So this would suggest they are recycling limited storage space in the ECU.

However, he also stated that only BMW engineers know what is downloaded during a PUMA case, so that part is still a mystery.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #130
ebeem
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M - Paket

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I was kind of wondering this myself but, I guess if they are only recording things like the minimum and maximum values of fuel trims, timing advance, boost, etc... it wouldn't take up that much room.

To actually record everything at a sample rate that would make any sense would be massive considering these cars can (haha) go a year between services.
+1

probably the peak values or other values which exceeded certain limits would be stored permanently
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #131
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

I know from a MB C64 amg guy that his 8th set of brakes was refused based on the fact that MB stated that he pushed his car to much. They based this on the amount of times ABS was activated.

From that perspective I also assume that BMW registers low's and high's and event counters...
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 12:30 AM   #132
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
I'm on 34.2.0.4 and car feels as fast as ever.
1 - What did you get upgraded from?
2 - You MSD80 or 81?
3 - What tune are you running?

I swear this thing for me has WAY more lag than the 29.2 did...
Appreciate 0