E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Angel eyes choice

05-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Angel eyes choice

Just want to have a summary of the brand that you used for your angel eyes.
LUX? m-tec? BMR? Or something else?
And
Which one would you recommend in term of quality (color, consistency, stability)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Ben0426
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 325i /RR Sport

I have LUX V3 on my car, thanks to BMR. They're great, probably the next best thing to full HID or OSS rings upgrade. But BMR AE's are also very very good in quality and in brightness, I'v seen them both in person fitted to my car, I could't find the difference between BMR AE and LUX AE till stu told me which one is which, but when I looked them carefully, the LUX was little brighter on the outer ring, then I decided to go LUX.

As for M-Tec....never see them on any local BMW's

But if you dont want to pay $280 for a set of AE's, BMR AE's are definitely the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben0426 View Post
I have LUX V3 on my car, thanks to BMR. They're great, probably the next best thing to full HID or OSS rings upgrade. But BMR AE's are also very very good in quality and in brightness, I'v seen them both in person fitted to my car, I could't find the difference between BMR AE and LUX AE till stu told me which one is which, but when I looked them carefully, the LUX was little brighter on the outer ring, then I decided to go LUX.

As for M-Tec....never see them on any local BMW's

But if you dont want to pay $280 for a set of AE's, BMR AE's are definitely the way to go.
Thanks a lot!!! so informative!
Well, i think AE is one of the soul of a BMW
but however, may i ask what is OSS rings upgrade? havent seen this on any online aftermarket product store.
and why would you need to upgrade to a HID system? 325i coupe should come with OEM Xenon light....?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
blagz
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

OSS is actually replacing the angel eyes, not the bulb, you would buy the whole headlight thats been fitted and replace them. LUX V3 is the brightest you will get when replacing just the bulb, but V4 is out now, that should be even brighter. Also they are adjustable from 5-12k

Last edited by blagz; 05-31-2013 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Ben0426
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 325i /RR Sport

Here's the link
OSS
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=oss

HID AE
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443637
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blagz View Post
OSS is actually replacing the angel eyes, not the bulb, you would buy the whole headlight thats been fitted and replace them. LUX V3 is the brightest you will get when replacing just the bulb, but V4 is out now, that should be even brighter. Also they are adjustable from 5-12k
Thanks a lot.
Personally, I feel like changing the bulb is good enough as upgrading to OSS is not looking as good as the original headlight.
Yeah, LUX V4, I saw it before, can tune to up to 12000k.
I personally think that a 7800k AE with 6000k xenon will be a good match.

Thinking to buy a 6000k Philips D1S bulb to replace the OEM 4300k....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

I am now a fan of the BMR AE LEDs having just installed them myself recently. Well worth it for the money. I could not see the more expensive options as worth it personally.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
There's a side by side comparison of the BMR and LUX on the BMR autowerkes website, this was done on my car so I saw it in person.

The quality of the BMR ones are really impressive for the price. (And I own the LUX)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Best value: BMR AEs
Best overall: LUX V4

imo the LUX has a much brighter inner ring however the outer ring is just about identical between the two.

I strongly recommend against HID AEs - they are blindingly bright and they will actually cause your plastic headlights to fade yellow from the inside overtime due to the heat of the bulbs.

Changing to some Phillips 6000k D1s bulbs would look good as well
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
Best value: BMR AEs
Best overall: LUX V4

imo the LUX has a much brighter inner ring however the outer ring is just about identical between the two.

I strongly recommend against HID AEs - they are blindingly bright and they will actually cause your plastic headlights to fade yellow from the inside overtime due to the heat of the bulbs.

Changing to some Phillips 6000k D1s bulbs would look good as well
Thanks Stu,
Then, may I ask if the LUX or BMR AE is HID based? As apart from the bulb itself, both kits include the AC adapter (or transformer) like the HID does?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Their both LED.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonlai View Post
Thanks Stu,
Then, may I ask if the LUX or BMR AE is HID based? As apart from the bulb itself, both kits include the AC adapter (or transformer) like the HID does?
I think you're getting confused...

Short version:
- Both LUX and BMR AEs use LEDs to produce light.
- They are both 100% plug and play solutions with everything required in the box (namely the bulb and resistor already attached and wired up)

Long version and slightly OT:
- An HID kit has an attachment called a ballast which is responsible for the ignition of the xenon gases inside the bulb as well as regulating voltage during operation.
- LEDs require a 'resistor' as the current draw of an LED is much lower than a regular bulb. Hence the resistor provides additional current draw so the car's computer does not think a bulb is out.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
I think you're getting confused...

Short version:
- Both LUX and BMR AEs use LEDs to produce light.
- They are both 100% plug and play solutions with everything required in the box (namely the bulb and resistor already attached and wired up)

Long version and slightly OT:
- An HID kit has an attachment called a ballast which is responsible for the ignition of the xenon gases inside the bulb as well as regulating voltage during operation.
- LEDs require a 'resistor' as the current draw of an LED is much lower than a regular bulb. Hence the resistor provides additional current draw so the car's computer does not think a bulb is out.

Understood

Thanks a lot Stu
Appreciate 0