E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 2008 mobile phone adapter

06-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

2008 mobile phone adapter

May I ask if I can buy a newer phone adapter for the car?
I saw the phone adapter in 2008 models are not compatible with nowadays smart phone such as Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5........so, how can I connect the phone to the car? Is there any accessory from BMW?
I guess if the phone is not plugged into the adapter, it won't charge, and won't be able to sync to the iDrive system such as contacts?
And can I use the iDrive screen to browse the Internet using my phone data?

I a, getting so lost with the technology used by BMW somehow...
Wondering the true functionality of the iDrive in older model such as 2008 ones is useless now as a result of the fast paced technology development nowadays....
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonlai View Post
May I ask if I can buy a newer phone adapter for the car?
I saw the phone adapter in 2008 models are not compatible with nowadays smart phone such as Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5........so, how can I connect the phone to the car? Is there any accessory from BMW?
I guess if the phone is not plugged into the adapter, it won't charge, and won't be able to sync to the iDrive system such as contacts?
And can I use the iDrive screen to browse the Internet using my phone data?

I a, getting so lost with the technology used by BMW somehow...
Wondering the true functionality of the iDrive in older model such as 2008 ones is useless now as a result of the fast paced technology development nowadays....
To connect the phones, just use bluetooth. You don't need the adapter at all. Contacts are still synced via bluetooth. My Galaxy Note 2 has no problems connecting it to my 08 iDrive, and all my contacts are synced flawlessly via bluetooth. If your contacts are named in another foreign language (such as Chinese), sorry to disappoint you but those characters will not be able to display on iDrive. It will just be blank, and this goes with your iPod songs titles as well. If you want it to display the characters, then you will have to buy a new F30 3 series or the upcoming F32 4 series, as those iDrive were able to decode the characters, and be properly displayed on the iDrive.

You can't browse the internet with the older version iDrive. Only newer bmws that are built after 2012 and has the mobile internet browsing option will only be able to browse the internet.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
To connect the phones, just use bluetooth. You don't need the adapter at all. Contacts are still synced via bluetooth. My Galaxy Note 2 has no problems connecting it to my 08 iDrive, and all my contacts are synced flawlessly via bluetooth. If your contacts are named in another foreign language (such as Chinese), sorry to disappoint you but those characters will not be able to display on iDrive. It will just be blank, and this goes with your iPod songs titles as well. If you want it to display the characters, then you will have to buy a new F30 3 series or the upcoming F32 4 series, as those iDrive were able to decode the characters, and be properly displayed on the iDrive.

You can't browse the internet with the older version iDrive. Only newer bmws that are built after 2012 and has the mobile internet browsing option will only be able to browse the internet.
Thanks a lot! It is very informative and helpful!

I do like the headlight design for the 4 series but prefer the current shape.

So, I wouldn't be able to use the adapter to charge my phone unless I use the in car charger which plugs into the 12V socket? Hmm....cable running everywhere in the cabin..

Too bad us.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Thanks a lot! It is very informative and helpful!

I do like the headlight design for the 4 series but prefer the current shape.

So, I wouldn't be able to use the adapter to charge my phone unless I use the in car charger which plugs into the 12V socket? Hmm....cable running everywhere in the cabin..

Too bad us.
Yes in car usb charger. Well think of it this way, would you pay $150+ for an adapter just to charge your phone in a discrete way?
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:03 AM   #5
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
Yes in car usb charger. Well think of it this way, would you pay $150+ for an adapter just to charge your phone in a discrete way?
If the OEM adapter costs me $150 but I can sync everything to the iDrive while charging my phone at the same time, I think it is still worthwhile cause Bluetooth drains battery quite fast and the high end phones that we use nowadays often face the lack of battery problem, particularly if you use the mobile data quite often.
But I doubt BMW will charge only $150 for the adapter....
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
Ben0426
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 325i /RR Sport

The IPhone 5 adapter will be available in late August or September, you can have it for $230. That's what my dealer told me the other day.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben0426 View Post
The IPhone 5 adapter will be available in late August or September, you can have it for $230. That's what my dealer told me the other day.
Thanks Ben
Any chance we will have the Samsung galaxy S4 adaptor too?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #8
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

man you have made a lot of new threads lol
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
Hahahah!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Ben0426
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 325i /RR Sport

Quote:
Thanks Ben
Any chance we will have the Samsung galaxy S4 adaptor too?
Not sure about that, because I only asked for the iphone5. But I think is not hard to find our if you give them a call.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am so sorry.....
This is the first time I actively use a forum, and since I have no idea about the BMW, I have so much curiosity.....

My apology if I have made too much threads.....but I hope the threads heading will help someone like me in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I am so sorry.....
This is the first time I actively use a forum, and since I have no idea about the BMW, I have so much curiosity.....

My apology if I have made too much threads.....but I hope the threads heading will help someone like me in the future.
It's cool man we're all nice here in the Australia section! (Apart from HecticX5 - you should avoid him.) Feel free to ask away whatever you want coz most of the stuff we can help with. But get a car first and then we can assist you with a direction to go with.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's cool man we're all nice here in the Australia section! (Apart from HecticX5 - you should avoid him.) Feel free to ask away whatever you want coz most of the stuff we can help with. But get a car first and then we can assist you with a direction to go with.
Actually, I think I am not specifically after a 25 or 35i now, as long as the car I thin my budget and is a good deal, I will go ahead for it.
But prior I can make decision upon my long stretched range from $40-60k, I need to know more about the BMW technology, in that case, I can evaluate if one is a good deal to go as my selection criteria is quite broad, not specifically after power, nor technology, I think I am more after something balance.
For instance, I found that 335i here in Perth with 56000km driven, priced $54888, upon checking the VIN, its actually built on sept 2007, (I was quite interested in it previously) but then, I hesitate to proceed to the test driving stage as I want to see if there is any decent 325i (a 2008-2009 325i with comfort access, m sport package, spoke 225 rims, normal black in black color will easily draw my attention away from this 335i)
I try not to test drive the car before I am really interested in it, as I think it save both my time as well as the dealer time if I am not keen in buying that car)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Fair enough man, but a 335i is a totally different beast compared to a 325i. And then post purchase modification route is entirely different depending on which engine you get! Personally I'd be going for a 335i for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough man, but a 335i is a totally different beast compared to a 325i. And then post purchase modification route is entirely different depending on which engine you get! Personally I'd be going for a 335i for sure.
Yes, so, I am going to keep an eye on the market and see if there is any good deals available.
If there is a good deal, I think I will choose the 335i too, power wise - I don't know how good it is as I have not test drive 335i yet, but the twin exhaust already draw my interest.
On the other hand, for 325i, a 2009 version with moderate mileage and comfort access, within $45000, I will not hesitate to test drive it.

The 335i available here in Perth looks good, but 2007 built, I feel like wanting something newer, even one year difference such as 2008, as I feel more safe to keep for another 4-5 years...
Appreciate 0