E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 2008 E92 325i

05-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

2008 E92 325i

Hi, I am new to BMW, currently locating in Perth, Western Australia, and I have some questions in regards to a 2008 325i coupe e92, wish the experts here can help me out

1) may I ask how can I change the color of the angel eyes? The car comes with yellow angel eyes and xenon headlight now.
i would like to make it with white color, functioning like the updated model after 2011 which serves as a DRL. I found that apart from buying a kit to change the color, there are posts on the Internet saying that I will need to get the car coding from the BMW dealer, is this true?

2) for the mobile phone adapter, may I ask if there is any way I can make it works with the latest phone like Galaxy S4? Or the Bluetooth/telephone connection system works with nowadays smart phone? Or in fact all those iDrive functions are pretty outdated and not as functional as it was first release? Such as the sat Nav (unless paying $495 to update it)

3) does anybody know any website showing how to change all the bulb into LED? I found some showing how to do the map, courtesy light, etc, but I want to change ALL interior lighting into LED, even for the vanity mirror ones.

4) even more importantly, this is the first time I am going to own a BMW, but I have no idea if the deal is a good one. May I ask how durable a BMW is? The car I am going to buy is 77000 km driven, and it's an auto, I wonder if it is a mechanically durable car to drive, (i am planning to keep the car for at least 5 years from now on) or it is better for me to spend the money towards a new BMW with similar price.....

thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hi Anson,

Welcome to the forums. To answer some of your questions:

1.) The angel eyes are H8 globes. To change it from "Yellow" to "White", it is just simply a globe replacement. There are no coding involve. Refer to LUX Angel Eyes V3 or the latest V4.

2.) I have a Galaxy Note 2, and I have no problems connecting it via bluetooth. I believe the mobile phone adapter is simply if you want to charge your phone and play music from your phone. As for nav updates, for the love of god don't pay $400 bucks for a DVD. Google is your friend.

3.) IIRC refer to DR-JEKRL's build thread, as I believe he had changed all his interior bulbs into LED.

4.) They are mechanically durable, and imo it all really comes down to the owner's maintenance. Since you haven't really bought the car yet, I would suggest getting someone to do the pre-purchase inspection first, and have a look at the service history before buying.

Hope that answers all your questions.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonlai View Post
Hi, I am new to BMW, currently locating in Perth, Western Australia, and I have some questions in regards to a 2008 325i coupe e92, wish the experts here can help me out

1) may I ask how can I change the color of the angel eyes? The car comes with yellow angel eyes and xenon headlight now.
i would like to make it with white color, functioning like the updated model after 2011 which serves as a DRL. I found that apart from buying a kit to change the color, there are posts on the Internet saying that I will need to get the car coding from the BMW dealer, is this true?

2) for the mobile phone adapter, may I ask if there is any way I can make it works with the latest phone like Galaxy S4? Or the Bluetooth/telephone connection system works with nowadays smart phone? Or in fact all those iDrive functions are pretty outdated and not as functional as it was first release? Such as the sat Nav (unless paying $495 to update it)

3) does anybody know any website showing how to change all the bulb into LED? I found some showing how to do the map, courtesy light, etc, but I want to change ALL interior lighting into LED, even for the vanity mirror ones.

4) even more importantly, this is the first time I am going to own a BMW, but I have no idea if the deal is a good one. May I ask how durable a BMW is? The car I am going to buy is 77000 km driven, and it's an auto, I wonder if it is a mechanically durable car to drive, (i am planning to keep the car for at least 5 years from now on) or it is better for me to spend the money towards a new BMW with similar price.....

thanks a lot
1) Speak to Stu@bmr he the official Lux distributor for White AE.
2) Only compatible with iOS devices with the adaptor, Bluetooth should work on any device. You can retrofit the CIC nav, or buy an 09+ vehicle
3) Purchase from Stu@bmr and he can do them for you, or search: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273231 (this took me literally 5 seconds)
4) How long is a piece of string? In general though, Beemers have a sound engine - ofcourse you have your general wear and tear items to replace. but the engine components are tough as anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
Hi Anson,

Welcome to the forums. To answer some of your questions:

1.) The angel eyes are H8 globes. To change it from "Yellow" to "White", it is just simply a globe replacement. There are no coding involve. Refer to LUX Angel Eyes V3 or the latest V4.

2.) I have a Galaxy Note 2, and I have no problems connecting it via bluetooth. I believe the mobile phone adapter is simply if you want to charge your phone and play music from your phone. As for nav updates, for the love of god don't pay $400 bucks for a DVD. Google is your friend.

3.) IIRC refer to DR-JEKRL's build thread, as I believe he had changed all his interior bulbs into LED.

4.) They are mechanically durable, and imo it all really comes down to the owner's maintenance. Since you haven't really bought the car yet, I would suggest getting someone to do the pre-purchase inspection first, and have a look at the service history before buying.

Hope that answers all your questions.
Thanks for the reply.

For the angel eyes, I saw a thread probably here or somewhere else stating a coding is needed to make the Parker light (angel light) "on" all the time so that it serves as a DRL?
And LUX, is this the whole brand name? I couldn't find anything for this on the Internet.....instead, I am thinking about Mtec, but that costs about $200....
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
1) Speak to Stu@bmr he the official Lux distributor for White AE.
2) Only compatible with iOS devices with the adaptor, Bluetooth should work on any device. You can retrofit the CIC nav, or buy an 09+ vehicle
3) Purchase from Stu@bmr and he can do them for you, or search: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273231 (this took me literally 5 seconds)
4) How long is a piece of string? In general though, Beemers have a sound engine - ofcourse you have your general wear and tear items to replace. but the engine components are tough as anything.

Thanks a lot for the info, but may I ask what does "retrofit the CIC Nav mean?
I saw from one thread here stating an update to the current Nav system, and I know the one I am buying is a Nav business but not professional since there is only one slot. And it"s 2008, so it is DVD based Nav. But do you mean I can make the Nav become a version like the 09+ model? But I thought they are HDD based? I am a bit confused with the Nav..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonlai View Post
Thanks for the reply.

For the angel eyes, I saw a thread probably here or somewhere else stating a coding is needed to make the Parker light (angel light) "on" all the time so that it serves as a DRL?
And LUX, is this the whole brand name? I couldn't find anything for this on the Internet.....instead, I am thinking about Mtec, but that costs about $200....
I have angel eyes switched on all the time and it is simply going to iDrive and it is in one of the check box within 'lights settings'. Coding is probably needed on older versions of idrive?

Just search for "Lux Angel Eyes" on google or on here, it is a very popular products and theres probably hundred of threads on this product. I use BMR's Angel Eyes on my car.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
mrtanz
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 325i upgrade

On older cars older than 2009 it needs to be coded to have AE as DL.

You can retrofit your CCC based navigation to CIC which is hDD based for between $3k-5K
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtanz View Post
On older cars older than 2009 it needs to be coded to have AE as DL.

You can retrofit your CCC based navigation to CIC which is hDD based for between $3k-5K
Thanks!
I would prefer updating the CCC by the update disk instead, converting to CIC is not worth...unless the screen is upgraded too.
Appreciate 0