E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Thoughts on replacing my speedo

05-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Savitar
Aussie in Scotland....
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Competition Pack

Thoughts on replacing my speedo

Hey all,

I have only posted a few times on here but will be posting quite a bit more soon. I currently live in the UK (Edinburgh) and will be brining a MY11 M3 competition pack back with me towards the end of the year. Its only got 15,000KM on it so hoping it will keep its value well into next year...

So as I understand it there is not much I will need to do (if anything) to get it registered when it it arrives. The two things I was planning on are :

- New maps (There is a thread on here about how to do that so think that should be easy to sort)
- Replace the speedo. Its currently in both KM (Inner ring) and MPH (outer ring) so should technically be OK but I would prefer it to be just KPH as its not going back to the UK.

Does anyone have any idea how difficult it is to do this? I.e what the cost / effort is involved? Does it need a complete replacement dash, is it a swap out part? Better to get new from BMW or go to a wreckers etc etc....

Couple of pics :

[/URL]

[/URL]

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Jin-ActiveMotorwerke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 330i

You will need to replace the cluster. I think it might be a bit hard to source a M3 cluster from wreckers. So the easiest way, but not the cheapest way to go is to buy it from BMW. And you will need the cluster programmed/coded to work with the car. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, it adds a bit of uniqueness to the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

I believe if you install a used replacement cluster that has <kms then your actual kms it will read correct, but if the replacement used cluster has > kms then the actual kms on the car it wont pick this up and has to be modified by replacing a chip in the cluster to display the correct milage.

Obviously if its a new cluster you wont have this issue, but expect around $1K AUD.

Beautiful car by the way, its a wise choice to bring it with you as they are a worth a lot more in Australia! (hopefully it survives the journey unscathed!)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Savitar
Aussie in Scotland....
Rep

Thanks Guys....

I was expecting something like $1K but hoping for less. Lucky with the E92 (at least the UK ones) there is a setting in the iDrive to display either KM or Miles with all the distances (odometer, trip computer etc). So hopefully it should not be too hard...Expensive, but not too hard...

I hope it survives too!! My aim is to break even on the sale if I can but if I get more for it than I paid (plus shipping etc) then a bonus....but to be able to own a 2 year old M3 for 18 months and get back what you pay for it....I will take that!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savitar View Post
Thanks Guys....

I was expecting something like $1K but hoping for less. Lucky with the E92 (at least the UK ones) there is a setting in the iDrive to display either KM or Miles with all the distances (odometer, trip computer etc). So hopefully it should not be too hard...Expensive, but not too hard...

I hope it survives too!! My aim is to break even on the sale if I can but if I get more for it than I paid (plus shipping etc) then a bonus....but to be able to own a 2 year old M3 for 18 months and get back what you pay for it....I will take that!
Dont forget the taxes this end set on market value, duty, GST and fees etc
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Savitar
Aussie in Scotland....
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Yep, well prepared for it....expect it will cost about $30,000 for both this and the other M3 (2004 E46 that my fiance is bringing back) for shipping, taxes, GST etc etc....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savitar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Yep, well prepared for it....expect it will cost about $30,000 for both this and the other M3 (2004 E46 that my fiance is bringing back) for shipping, taxes, GST etc etc....