E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Money vs kilometres

06-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #45
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
It's really simple, low km's mean more money now and when you sell, all other things being equal.
So if the budget is tight and you want the late model look, then go for the one with extra km's.
And I would have to agree with the guy that said look at the condition of the interior and body, they are costly to fix and make the car look sub standard.

I have bought well treated country driven cars in the past that have been fantastic and way better than roughly treated lower km ones that let me down.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #46
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin.ActiveMotorwerke View Post
Fuel pump, not oil pump.
Every model car has their own problem. Fuel pumps are not that expensive to replace
325i has one very expensive problem. It's not very common, but we have done quite a few. They have a tendency to burn oil due to the a flaw in the design of the pistons. To fix it, all piston has to be replace to the newer type.
A fuel pump fault is a lot less costly and it can be fix relatively quickly. And also easy to detect as you test drive the car. Where as a car burning a bit of oil will not show any indication of the fault while you test drive it.
Not to scare you off from the 325. But just to show you every car has their little problems.
Jin, do you mean this:
http://www.rtsauto.com/bmw-e90-valve...ter-ticknoise/

But from the video, seems like that sound is quite common on the other cars.....I feel like I heard of those sound on my previous Honda accord euro, and my friend Lexus IS250 too...

According the web site:
"............SITUATION
An occasional ticking or rattling noise from the camshaft hydraulic valve lifters (HVA) may occur during cold engine starts, due to frequent short-distance driving, or the noise may occur for an extended period of time even though the engine is at operating temperature.
Improved parts were phased into production beginning on 10/1/2008 and fully implemented on November 31st 2008.
CORRECTION
Do not perform the bleeding procedure that was previously provided in SI B11 09 07 which has now been deleted.
All vehicles produced between 10/1/2008 and 11/31/2008 must have each vehicle’s cylinder head casting number identified before hydraulic valve lifters (HVA) replacement, due to staggered implementation. Refer to the attachment for the casting number location. Vehicles produced after 11/31/2008 have already been fitted with improved parts. Vehicles produced prior to 10/1/2008 will require the new parts.
Improved Casting Numbers
N51 (B30)
N52 (B30)

N52K (B30)
A cylinder head casting number that does not match will require replacement of the 12 exhaust camshaft hydraulic valve lifters (HVA) as per Repair Instruction RA 11 33 050, Removing and installing/replacing all rocker arms. Only the exhaust camshaft and rocker arms have to be removed in order to replace the hydraulic valve lifters. Do not remove or replace any intake camshaft valve train components........."

May I ask how can I find out the vehicle’s cylinder head casting number?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #47
Jin-ActiveMotorwerke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 330i

HVA noises is not the problem I mentioned above. Where did you see I mentioned about noise?
HVA is relectively easy to fix compare to the pistons. And why do you need to look for the casting number? Serioursly, are you going to fix it yourself?
If you are worry, get someone to check it over before you buy and deal with the problem when it arises.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #48
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin.ActiveMotorwerke View Post
HVA noises is not the problem I mentioned above. Where did you see I mentioned about noise?
HVA is relectively easy to fix compare to the pistons. And why do you need to look for the casting number? Serioursly, are you going to fix it yourself?
If you are worry, get someone to check it over before you buy and deal with the problem when it arises.
Sorry, I mixed it up...
And I want to know how to get the number cause I was thinking if I can check to see whether or not the car is fitted with the revised part.
I will get independent mechanical inspection, but just feeling better if I know more as well as in case the mechanic wouldn't check the issues that I have read on the Internet.

Sorry for asking stupid things....
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #49
skidz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1mers nuts :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonlai View Post
SIROCCO? the VW one?
Sorry, I don't get what you mean
my point is only a badge bunny would by a 325. you know the type 'hey look at me in the BMW' every other BMW driver will sneer down at you for wasting ya money that woulda been better spent on another car where you will get value for money.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #50
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidz View Post
my point is only a badge bunny would by a 325. you know the type 'hey look at me in the BMW' every other BMW driver will sneer down at you for wasting ya money that woulda been better spent on another car where you will get value for money.
Oh....hmm...well, to me, I think the value of money is not simply based on performance? Refinement is also value of money?
I like the coupe, and found that BMW offers the best looking one, mercedes ones is not good in shape but better interior.....
How people feel is how people feel, I am buying a car for me, not for them. If they will sneer down at me wasting money, I think someone with a Subaru impreza STI or nissan GTR 35 will sneer down the 335i BMW or Porsche driver as those cars are even faster than the euro car makers?
Just my thought anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #51
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Drive both and decide which engine you want for yourself. As sweet as the N52 NA engine is, the N54 turbo is on another level for performance (and modifying options).
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #52
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
Drive both and decide which engine you want for yourself. As sweet as the N52 NA engine is, the N54 turbo is on another level for performance (and modifying options).
Sure! When I see a 335i that I am really interested in, I will definitely test drive it.
Again, don't want to test drive those on the market now which I am not keen to buy. Feel like fooling people and wasting their time, giving them hope.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #53
Ben0426
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 325i /RR Sport

Good luck mate, but I'd strongly suggest you to go out to the dealer today and test 325 and 335. Wont help you with anything just seeking people's advise. As you said, you buying a car for yourself not other people, your opinion is the most important opinion. So go out there and happy hunting.

Also check up other parts on this forum.

Technical Forums
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=378

And very important to use "SEARCH'' on you top right corner.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #54
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben0426 View Post
Good luck mate, but I'd strongly suggest you to go out to the dealer today and test 325 and 335. Wont help you with anything just seeking people's advise. As you said, you buying a car for yourself not other people, your opinion is the most important opinion. So go out there and happy hunting.

Also check up other parts on this forum.

Technical Forums
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=378

And very important to use "SEARCH'' on you top right corner.
Ok, thanks.
And I have driven 2 325i before, just need to test drive a 335i now. Waiting for one for sale that is of my interest, then I will go driving it, and might eventually buy it?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #55
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok, thanks.
And I have driven 2 325i before, just need to test drive a 335i now. Waiting for one for sale that is of my interest, then I will go driving it, and might eventually buy it?
335i is a totally complete different animal even though they are the same breed, its like comparing cat against leopard. I know few people in this forum who used own 325i, 320d, 120d, 125i and after they test drive the 135i/335i they couldn't resist how refine and ridiculously powerful the n54/55 engine that they went and bought the car. So we hope you can make the right decision the first time if budget allows.

What's your thought about 325i after your test drive, in terms of power wise? 25i have very limited tuning capability thus the most you get is probably mid to low 7s to 100 without touching the engine. 335i you can easily get it sub 5, not even close but with 335i money you can buy a very well equipped, low km 325i but i highly doubt you can keep that for 4-5years.

I don't think you need to test drive any 325i as you already know how that felt, its just a matter of find the right options you want. But you really have to take off your pant and get your lazy ass to the dealer and ride the 335i like no tomorrow .

You don't have to buy the car when you test drive you know? I understand you want to save everyone's time but you are 100% wasting your own time by searching every single detail of 325i and 335i. (As you aware by now they are completely different car) YOU NEED TO NARROW DOWN TO ONE CAR If you can't make up your decision i will make a poll for you.

Warning: Your Perfect Life Requires Compromise and at this rate I am worry that my son find gf before you.

Hope you don't mind what i said
"SOLD"-09LCI-E90-320D-Black Sapphire Metallic- Superchip - OEM 189 wheel - City Vision Angel Eye - Matt Black Grill - K&N 57i Air Intake - XForce exhaust tip with Muffler delete - Eibach pro kit & Msport steering wheel, Yellow caliper BIG Thanks to bmroxm5 - Koni Yellow + e36 M3 Front bump stop/M-sport rear bump stop -Hankook V12
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #56
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playwithonehand View Post
335i is a totally complete different animal even though they are the same breed, its like comparing cat against leopard. I know few people in this forum who used own 325i, 320d, 120d, 125i and after they test drive the 135i/335i they couldn't resist how refine and ridiculously powerful the n54/55 engine that they went and bought the car. So we hope you can make the right decision the first time if budget allows.

What's your thought about 325i after your test drive, in terms of power wise? 25i have very limited tuning capability thus the most you get is probably mid to low 7s to 100 without touching the engine. 335i you can easily get it sub 5, not even close but with 335i money you can buy a very well equipped, low km 325i but i highly doubt you can keep that for 4-5years.

I feel like the car is ok when I test drive the 325i, but haven't really pushed the throttle down to the floor, the torque is for sure that be less than 335i, so does the power. But I think it should be good enough for normal driving?
the ride is firm but I am ok with it (both I test drive with 19" wheel),

One thing I am curious:
May I ask why would you say That you are in doubt i can keep he car for 4-5 years?
Cause I will not happy with the power and wanting to get the more powerful one during those 4-5 years? Or saying the car will break down? =="

I don't think you need to test drive any 325i as you already know how that felt, its just a matter of find the right options you want. But you really have to take off your pant and get your lazy ass to the dealer and ride the 335i like no tomorrow .

I will definitely test drive one when I find a deal that is of my interest.

You don't have to buy the car when you test drive you know? I understand you want to save everyone's time but you are 100% wasting your own time by searching every single detail of 325i and 335i. (As you aware by now they are completely different car) YOU NEED TO NARROW DOWN TO ONE CAR If you can't make up your decision i will make a poll for you.

That's why I said, I am keeping my eye on the market. Hmm....I prefer to know more of both cars and try to research it more, especially for now, when the deal has not come yet, why wouldn't I spend time on researching? At least I may find out something more that I don't know?

Warning: Your Perfect Life Requires Compromise and at this rate I am worry that my son find gf before you.

I know we have to compromise in life, but we always try to seek the perfect doesn't mean that we don't know how to compromise. It's just a matter of if you have met the one making you compromising.

Thanks for your advice. I maybe a bit hesitate or annoying, but I can tell, if there is one that really get into my mind, I will simply buy it straight away regardless of a 25 or 35i. I will think and evaluate now simply cause I haven't met the one yet and just would like to know more.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:29 AM   #57
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

My sincere apology if I have annoyed anyone here, but I know what I am doing.
But my decision making process is not simply based on power wise, I would just like to get a balance within my budget. It doesn't necessarily be a powerful one or a nice cruising car. To me, a good deal is fair in every aspect.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #58
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playwithonehand View Post

And seriously, thanks. I know everyone here is very nice, I will take your words.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #59
skidz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1mers nuts :D

Quote:
Oh....hmm...well, to me, I think the value of money is not simply based on performance? Refinement is also value of money?
I like the coupe, and found that BMW offers the best looking one, mercedes ones is not good in shape but better interior.....
How people feel is how people feel, I am buying a car for me, not for them. If they will sneer down at me wasting money, I think someone with a Subaru impreza STI or nissan GTR 35 will sneer down the 335i BMW or Porsche driver as those cars are even faster than the euro car makers?
Just my thought anyway.
all cars are a combinations of performance/comfort and style. the 325 only gets close to the 335 in the style compartment. but even then the msport version looks 100% better than the non msport. my point is for the same dollars on a 325 there are better options out there that dont have a 10k badge stuck on the bonnet. kinda like buying a 1m over an n54 135 coupe, its just 50k extra for a badge

anyone with an sti will not sneer down at your 325 as they will be too preoccupied with the fuzz crawling up their arse. and if anyone in a gtr says anything just tell them their car is a fat ugly whinny bitch. and as for a porch well are we talking boxer/ghaymen or 911?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #60
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidz View Post
all cars are a combinations of performance/comfort and style. the 325 only gets close to the 335 in the style compartment. but even then the msport version looks 100% better than the non msport. my point is for the same dollars on a 325 there are better options out there that dont have a 10k badge stuck on the bonnet. kinda like buying a 1m over an n54 135 coupe, its just 50k extra for a badge

anyone with an sti will not sneer down at your 325 as they will be too preoccupied with the fuzz crawling up their arse. and if anyone in a gtr says anything just tell them their car is a fat ugly whinny bitch. and as for a porch well are we talking boxer/ghaymen or 911?
I have said previously somewhere in the forum, I have been driving sedan for 8 years, I want to make use of the time now to enjoy a coupe, few more years later, I will not be looking at any sedan or coupe but a SUV.
The reason why I am interested in a 325/335i simply because I love its shape, but honestly, I am not rich to consider a M3.
Appreciate 0