E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Interstate sales

06-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Interstate sales

Just a stupid question,
Does anyone have ever buy a car privately from another states without physically visit the seller?

I am thinking if I can simply get the independent mechanic to check the car, and I arrange shipping such as Ceva to transport the car to me from another state.
But how can I secure that the seller will ship the car to me after I have paid him the money? For me, simply holding the copy of the transfer of ownership document, is that really safe?

I have seen some tempting deals in the eastern states than my current western states..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
eriktufa
3r1k
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i

Yes Yes Yes.

I've done it few times and never had issues however there are some dodgy people out there so just becareful.

Looking for 335i?
      06-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonlai View Post
Just a stupid question,
Does anyone have ever buy a car privately from another states without physically visit the seller?

I am thinking if I can simply get the independent mechanic to check the car, and I arrange shipping such as Ceva to transport the car to me from another state.
But how can I secure that the seller will ship the car to me after I have paid him the money? For me, simply holding the copy of the transfer of ownership document, is that really safe?

I have seen some tempting deals in the eastern states than my current western states..
For the money you are paying, its worth getting a cheap airfare over and lining up a few cars to view.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

Also have you looked at this one in Perth:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833471
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog335i View Post
For the money you are paying, its worth getting a cheap airfare over and lining up a few cars to view.
For sure!

I had looked at 20+ cars before i bought mine, and the majority of them looked fine in the pictures and were listed as immaculate, but when viewing them in person they were far from immaculate!

The little things which don't stand out in the pictures such as mismatched tyres on all 4 corners, fine scratches on exterior paint, weather worn rubber seals, faded window surrounds, worn interior pieces such as gear knob, steering wheel, trims, coolant leaks, oil leaks (even though the car had a full service history!!) and one car had a boot that looked like a dog had resided in it for the life of the car. it smelt of chemicals and was filthy dirty and this stench soaked through into the cabin (once again pictures don't display things like this!)

If you find a few cars you like, perhaps ask a few guys on this forum to help you to look at a few cars for you in exchange for a carton of beer. Most guys on this forum know the cars inside out and are willing to help and for the sake of $50 will get you a quick and accurate description of the car and if it is worth you purchasing a plane ticket to fly over for to inspect the car for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
For sure!

I had looked at 20+ cars before i bought mine, and the majority of them looked fine in the pictures and were listed as immaculate, but when viewing them in person they were far from immaculate!

The little things which don't stand out in the pictures such as mismatched tyres on all 4 corners, fine scratches on exterior paint, weather worn rubber seals, faded window surrounds, worn interior pieces such as gear knob, steering wheel, trims, coolant leaks, oil leaks (even though the car had a full service history!!) and one car had a boot that looked like a dog had resided in it for the life of the car. it smelt of chemicals and was filthy dirty and this stench soaked through into the cabin (once again pictures don't display things like this!)

If you find a few cars you like, perhaps ask a few guys on this forum to help you to look at a few cars for you in exchange for a carton of beer. Most guys on this forum know the cars inside out and are willing to help and for the sake of $50 will get you a quick and accurate description of the car and if it is worth you purchasing a plane ticket to fly over for to inspect the car for yourself.
Well said. Alot of people always put immaculate condition but not always the case. Maybe those people kinda need a dictionary to know the meaning of it.
Like what Drjekyl said cars with higher K's are not that bad. As the car gets driven more on the road (Genuine Highway K's) less wear and tear on the interior compared to those that are lower K's but city driving as the get in and out of the car as a result of high wear and tear on the interior.

As said in previous first perception always counts and if the interior is good condition and well kept you can be sure that the engine are most likely well kept too.

Forum members are a genuinely very helpful. Most do not mind helping.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog335i View Post
Also have you looked at this one in Perth:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833471
Thanks for the recommendation, I am mainly after a 325i but I have seen this one, yet I don't know how to drive manual...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For sure!

Woo, that is awesome, lol here are really nice. (this is the first time I come up to any car forum and found that it is really very useful.) Thumb up for everyone here!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For sure!

Oh, btw, u assume every car will have oil leaks as a result of aging, am I correct?
And I assume all car with more than 4-5 years will have oil leaking problem?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #10
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Well said. Alot of people always put immaculate condition but not always the case. Maybe those people kinda need a dictionary to know the meaning of it.
Like what Drjekyl said cars with higher K's are not that bad. As the car gets driven more on the road (Genuine Highway K's) less wear and tear on the interior compared to those that are lower K's but city driving as the get in and out of the car as a result of high wear and tear on the interior.

As said in previous first perception always counts and if the interior is good condition and well kept you can be sure that the engine are most likely well kept too.

Forum members are a genuinely very helpful. Most do not mind helping.
Hopefully most interior well kept will have a well looked after engine too.

One thing that I noticed is that, when I check the cars vin code, it said that is a spider 193 wheel but on the picture, it is actually a double spoke 225....just wonder why the seller
didn't mentioned about the change of rims....

And high km on freeway or highway, apart from not being getting more often in and out in city driving, I think the high speed driving is better in term of the engine condition than those driving a few km with a lot of stop and go too? (many ppl said this on the web too)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #11
Ansonlai
Private First Class
Rep

"Alot of people always put immaculate condition but not always the case. Maybe those people kinda need a dictionary to know the meaning of it. "

Appreciate 0