E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Audio Setup

06-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Court
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 2016 335xD (Current)

Audio Setup

Hi Folks,

Newbie to the forum, but I have been reading so much useful information on members experience on the forum, I'm nearly ready to commit myself to the Modding bug again.

The question I have is this....I have an E91 with Navigation Professional (NP) and the standard 4x Mid's and 2x Sub's setup.

I had from my old E46 Coupe a couple of Alpine PDX Amps, which I kept. So I was planning on using them. Current setup I had in mind was add Focal KRS100 to the front, and adding the tweeter door trim from BMW. And some 8" subs under the seats for now. Leaving the rear mid's alone.

I may add a Sub in the boot but that's undecided for now. So what it the best way to get the audio output from the NP and interfacce it with the amps?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

I guess I really need to write audio options for UK members.
Sorry mate, If you do not know me, then I am makkan00. I am doing Phd in sound systems (just a joke) as I have tried all sort of sound drivers / amps.

If you want all in one solution, go for Gladen 3 way front kit and use your alpine amp.
Or buy the Gladen 3 ways kit and buy mosconi amp and sell your amp.

You will get 1000 opinions here. I have listened to so many sound systems, and IMHO Gladen is the most cost effective when comapred to Morels / focals / Earthquakes / Rainbows.

HTH.
      06-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Court
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Makkan00,

I have seen so many options its hard to tell which way to go. I did look at one members option fitting a Blaupunkt THA 475, as this would come with the right leads for the high level input.

I have been looking at the Gladen kit especially their new extreme kit coming out this month. So its an interesting challenge...How have you tapped into the OEM harness to get your audio feed to you amps if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court View Post
I have been looking at the Gladen kit especially their new extreme kit coming out this month. So its an interesting challenge...How have you tapped into the OEM harness to get your audio feed to you amps if you don't mind me asking?
You buy a harness which takes the signals from the HU to amps and vice versa.

Their amps (Gladen / Mosconi) are designed to take the differential balanced input directly into the amp.

However, I had used Alpine PDX and they did not take differential balanced input very well. I had to confirm with Alpine UK that PDX series were not compatible with differential balanced input. (So if you read on American side that PDX amps are differential balanced friendly, that is bull shit!)
      06-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI Mk7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
However, I had used Alpine PDX and they did not take differential balanced input very well. I had to confirm with Alpine UK that PDX series were not compatible with differential balanced input. (So if you read on American side that PDX amps are differential balanced friendly, that is bull shit!)
I can't speak for the first generation PDX, but the second generation (PDX-F4, PDX-F6, PDX-V9) definitely are - I ran my PDX-V9 directly from the HU balanced outputs for a few weeks before I got my DSP with no problems.
      06-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i MSport

Im also really interested in this as i am confused on what upgrades you can and cant do simply.

Are there any upgrades you can do without the need of a new amp? and used with ym current HU( Proffesional with BT)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Amp is a big upgrade, even standard speakers will sound better.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblee View Post
I can't speak for the first generation PDX, but the second generation (PDX-F4, PDX-F6, PDX-V9) definitely are -
Thanks for that.
Are they American versions?
      06-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.J View Post
Im also really interested in this as i am confused on what upgrades you can and cant do simply.

Are there any upgrades you can do without the need of a new amp? and used with ym current HU( Proffesional with BT)
Without amp, even a £300 audiophile speaker will sound rubbish and distorted.

Lets put it this way, if you put 1.0 engine in BMW 3 series shell, what will happen?
      06-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i MSport

Right, that answers my questions then ha.

You need an amp and speaker upgrade.. plus lots of wires..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #11
Court
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Alex,

I've looked up the Specs of the Alpine PDX-V9 and the inputs are not Differential-Balanced. So in our case this won't work.

Hence I was looking at getting a Blaupunkt THA475PNP amp and fitting some Galden Speakers or Focals. Front two channels running the Mids and Tweeters, and the Rear 2 channels running the Woofers under the seats.

I was going to use my pervious kit of 2 Alpine PDX's and my JL Audio C5 components Front and Rear. But I can't so I'll keep them for the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
TheBlondeFella
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court View Post

Hence I was looking at getting a Blaupunkt THA475PNP amp and fitting some Galden Speakers or Focals. Front two channels running the Mids and Tweeters, and the Rear 2 channels running the Woofers under the seats.
Looks like I might be doing exactly the same. Will this option be possible and will the sound quality be ok?
      07-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI Mk7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Thanks for that.
Are they American versions?
Mine's from the US, but they're available in the UK too.