E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > COBB Accessport - My Installation Experience

01-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #45
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...19#post8709619
link to log, needs alot of work imo
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #46
longuyen88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Non-BMW

in for updates!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #47
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...19#post8709619
link to log, needs alot of work imo
Thanks for posting it up for my Clap. Hopefully Cobb can use the input from users to fine tune their maps.

Alan
      01-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #48
335isGuy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw 340xi Msport

Garage List
Alan is ur car a auto?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #49
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

^^ Its a 6MT
      01-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #50
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
^^ Its a 6MT
lol thats odd....Procede had issues with AT cars but 6MTs were fine..now its been reversed.

Id like to see how they go about resolving this.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #51
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
lol thats odd....Procede had issues with AT cars but 6MTs were fine..now its been reversed.

Id like to see how they go about resolving this.
I don't think it has anything to do with the transmission choice, it's what Shiv said earlier, wastegate tolerances. If you see Clap's log, you see there is no boost overshoot and he is FBO, whereas Alan's car is overshooting with less mods.

The good news is, I can't get my 6AT to misfire anymore
      01-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #52
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

^^ Yeah it not a 6MT or AT thing.

I spoke to Rob at Cobb yesterday about why there are throttle closures on mine and not Claps. He said its most likely due to turbo variances because his own 335 logs are very similar to mine. My car has just about 9K miles on it and its never been boosted past 13.5-14psi before where as Claps car is full stage 2 plus meth thats been through high boost. Kinda like comparing a virgin to a hooker?

The closures isn't a problem for me since Cobb already said its part of the way they tune the N54 and trust me you don't feel it. I went WOT several times that day all the way to redline and not once did me or my buddy (also has a 335xi with a Jb3) feel the car stutter during the pull. He was actually very impressed with the AP.

Question -
Now can someone explain why throttle closure is looked upon as being "bad" or worse than lets say the wastgates opening up to limit boost pressure? Logically if a car is building boost 12-13-14psi and then hits its limit of 15psi ------> car then closes the throttle slightly to keep the boost from overshooting >15psi, then opens the throttle again wouldn't the manifold still be pressurized close to if not at 15psi? Wouldn't that be better than lets say the same scenario but instead of throttle closure the car opens the wastegate to bleed boost where you are almost certainly going to lose more pressure in the system which the car will have to ramp back up?

Forgive me if i'm totally off base here. I'm still new to the world of force induction and none of that could have made any sense

Alan
      01-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #53
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Alan - I am curious on your opinion on v4 vs AP. I am in exactly the same boat as you, so I am curious to compare notes. I suppose we should talk over PM to avoid causing unnecessary tuner wars.
      01-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #54
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Alan - I am curious on your opinion on v4 vs AP. I am in exactly the same boat as you, so I am curious to compare notes. I suppose we should talk over PM to avoid causing unnecessary tuner wars.
did u tryed new maps that shiv offers maybe u will chamge your mind. no tune wars just oppinions
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #55
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Shiv sent me a new map to try out so I will have a direct comparison between the AP and the latest offerings from the V5. I just need to find time where its not snowing or raining here in NY to swap tunes again and be able to do some logging without ending up in the guard rail.

They both feel good but different. I use to think the JB3 was more raw compared to the Procede and now i think the Procede is more raw compared to the Cobb because its so smooth. In terms of power compared to the older V4 maps the Cobb feels stronger mainly because i was only boosting 12-13psi tops with it where as with the AP i'm seeing 14-15psi.
      01-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #56
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by **335i** View Post
did u tryed new maps that shiv offers maybe u will chamge your mind. no tune wars just oppinions
To be fair, I stopped at the last v4 map - I didn't want to VIN-lock the Procede. So I am basing myself on the last non-VIN-locked maps. There is probably quite a bit of difference with the v5 - so I'll let others comment on that.
      01-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #57
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Shiv sent me a new map to try out so I will have a direct comparison between the AP and the latest offerings from the V5. I just need to find time where its not snowing or raining here in NY to swap tunes again and be able to do some logging without ending up in the guard rail.

They both feel good but different. I use to think the JB3 was more raw compared to the Procede and now i think the Procede is more raw compared to the Cobb because its so smooth. In terms of power compared to the older V4 maps the Cobb feels stronger mainly because i was only boosting 12-13psi tops with it where as with the AP i'm seeing 14-15psi.
try it and tell us also try run some badass cars (closed street) maybe u cant cos of weather.....

Quote:
To be fair, I stopped at the last v4 map - I didn't want to VIN-lock the Procede. So I am basing myself on the last non-VIN-locked maps. There is probably quite a bit of difference with the v5 - so I'll let others comment on that.
not a problem for me vin lock, also wonder when there will be some runs in youtube with cobb no videos found yet
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #58
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

All of a sudden this got huge potential to go sideways
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #59
atlharry
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
All of a sudden this got huge potential to go sideways
How so? Granted, everyone's got their panties in a bunch regarding throttle closures, but I don't think that's taken anything away from the potential of the tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #60
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by **335i** View Post
try it and tell us also try run some badass cars (closed street) maybe u cant cos of weather.....

not a problem for me vin lock, also wonder when there will be some runs in youtube with cobb no videos found yet
You and your video requests.

Someone take a vid with the Procede and the AP...... and use www.youtubedoubler.com.
      01-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #61
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Question -
Now can someone explain why throttle closure is looked upon as being "bad" or worse than lets say the wastgates opening up to limit boost pressure? Logically if a car is building boost 12-13-14psi and then hits its limit of 15psi ------> car then closes the throttle slightly to keep the boost from overshooting >15psi, then opens the throttle again wouldn't the manifold still be pressurized close to if not at 15psi? Wouldn't that be better than lets say the same scenario but instead of throttle closure the car opens the wastegate to bleed boost where you are almost certainly going to lose more pressure in the system which the car will have to ramp back up?

Forgive me if i'm totally off base here. I'm still new to the world of force induction and none of that could have made any sense

Alan
Closing the throttle to reduce boost pressure has one big side effect: it reduces pumping efficiency of the engine.

Think of sucking through a straw at a given flow rate. if you want to reduce the flow rate, you have two options:

-suck less hard (no giggles please)
or
-put your thumb over part of the straw's open end.

The first approach doesn't make your lungs work any harder for the air that is ingesting. Your lungs are operating at peak volumetric efficiency.

The second approach causes your lungs, to work harder than what is ideally required to support that airflow rate.

Now, if you airflow rate is low (ie, gently inhaling), you don't really notice much. As the relative effects of your thumb's obstruction is minor. But now if you're sucking REALLY hard, suddenly putting your thumb on the straw's opening makes you want to gag (no jokes please). In this case, your lungs lose Volumetric efficiency.

Now your engine is nothing more than an air pump. And pumps like to operate with no internal restrictions. Which is why we make intercoolers that flow well, throttle bodies that are big and non-restrictive, intercooler pipes that don't have big sharp bends and intake filters that are nice and open. All of this pays off when you are move a lot of air. Because with every little bit of restriction, you are forcing your turbos to work just a little bit harder than they need to. And the harder the work (faster they spin for the desired air flow), the hotter the outlet temps are and the higher the exhaust backpressure is. Both of which reduce engine power. Again, this isn't a big deal at lower boost pressures (5-6psi) where you have tons of reserve turbo capacity, mild/moderate nominal airflow and relatively small turbulence effects.

But at higher flow rates were the turbos are being run well towards (and beyond) their efficiency range, the effects of these closures are felt and seen.

Of course, the solution isn't to completely eliminate the system that closes throttle as a result of overboost. But rather to prevent the overboost from occurring in the first place. And maybe to rescale the reaction of the throttle to be more suitable for higher boost applications when an inevitable overboost does occur. As we've seen, this requires a boost control system that is a bit more adaptable than what BMW gave us. Especially given big car-to-car hardware variance in the turbocharger hardware. Until boost control logic is suitable, it is unlikely that it can work acceptably on a wide range of cars, in a wide range of conditions, with a wide range of associated modifications.

shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 01-19-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #62
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

That's a REALLY good read. Thanks shiv.
      01-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #63
Alex@Helix
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

^ +1
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #64
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
That's a REALLY good read. Thanks shiv.
+1

The comic relief was appreciated too.

It'll be interesting to see how Cobb uses the throttle plate modulation to control boost when they get to the bigger tune applications. It seems like based on Shiv's explanation that the more dramatic overboost conditions that will occur in those applications will be less smoothly handled by the throttle plate closing method.

Perhaps some combination of a better boost control solution and the throttle plate modulation.

Seems like for Stage I tunes though, the power and smooth power band are all there with great results.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #65
Doug007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spacegrau 2009 335i 6MT

Good explanation for sure.

Of course the ideal boost control method would spool up to the boost target and open the wastegate at exactly the right time to hit the boost target without overshooting and the throttle would not be needed to trim the airflow. i.e., suck hard to get the air moving then suck less hard once its going

I think the big issue is the tuning of the throttle intervention. Due to the limitations on the in-manifold pressure measurement, it seems like BMW tuned to trim air flow with throttle based on some function of the amount of overboost.

So they would tune the system to say close the throttle 20% on a 0.5 psi overboost to yield the boost target in the intake manifold. However, when you increase the air flow and boost, that mapping needs to be retuned. A 20% throttle may reduce boost by 0.5 psi at 8 psi of boost (and associated air flow), but it will reduce pressure much more when running air flow associated with 15 psi of boost or 17 psi...

It looks like COBB did a pretty good job with this on the stage 1 throttle tuning from what we've seen so far. The load value is relatively constant and users aren't feeling the throttle intervention affect performance.

Time will tell how things go when they move up in boost with stage 2 maps!

2009 Spacegrau 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #66
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Am I the only on that disagrees with Shivs explanation? On a turbo car, the engine doesnt suck, it gets air forced down its throat. The only thing you are doing by closing throttle, is making turbos work for no reason to maintain a constant target air to be forced down the throat.
Appreciate 0