E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 'doubling up' run groups during a DE? thoughts?

02-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #23
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
30 minutes at a time is one thing, but try an endurance race that lasts 6-8 hours and see how the car holds up. Not saying the 335 can't do it, but without beefing up the cooling systems and braking system, it's going to be very difficult. But that's not just the 335i. The truth is, most street cars are the same way. Few cars are really designed for the track right out of the box.
I'm saying it won't hold up 6-8 hours!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #24
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Instructor level drivers on the same day are about as close to equalizing the skill level playing field as you can get. Funny enough, I heard the same thing from an S54 equipped M3 owner..... "Well you may be much faster than me, but my car is made for the track and yours isn't!" Coincidentally, he's on his second engine and the car is in the shop now getting bushings replaced.

I prefer being the faster one. To each his own.
Like I said faster isn't equal to be designed for track duty. You just keep convincing yourself the n54 is a proper track motor. I'm impressed by your conviction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
it's just really hard comparing random people in random cars. Some tracks favor cars with high hp, and some favor cars that handle better. Its really hard to make a sweeping generalization from things that happened on a particular track once. The 335i is a very fast car, but it is heavy, and is susceptible to heat issues with the turbos. 30 minutes at a time is one thing, but try an endurance race that lasts 6-8 hours and see how the car holds up. Not saying the 335 can't do it, but without beefing up the cooling systems and braking system, it's going to be very difficult. But that's not just the 335i. The truth is, most street cars are the same way. Few cars are really designed for the track right out of the box.

And usually, unless someone posts lap times, it's almost impossible to know how fast they were really driving.
Exactly, you just can't compare cars that way. You can however compare them from an engineering perspective, there are core principles of design that just facilitate a car working on track and ones that facilitate it failing on track.
      02-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #25
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Like I said faster isn't equal to be designed for track duty. You just keep convincing yourself the n54 is a proper track motor. I'm impressed by your conviction.

Like I said, to each his own. I am impressed by your conviction to driving a "proper track car", so much so, that you're willing to be slow in order to toe the marketing line.

I'm on track day 50 with my non-track car. When it blows up, I'll admit that I'm wrong. Until then.... I'll just be fast.

I believe the S54 blew up on trackday4. Something about a bearing.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #26
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Like I said, to each his own. I am impressed by your conviction to driving a "proper track car", so much so, that you're willing to be slow in order to toe the marketing line.

I'm on track day 50 with my non-track car. When it blows up, I'll admit that I'm wrong. Until then.... I'll just be fast.

I believe the S54 blew up on trackday4. Something about a bearing.
When did I ever say I drove a proper track car? I have made modifications that push my car farther way from being a proper track car. Gave it way more potential to be fast then your 335 ever will be, but definitely made it much less of a track oriented car.

Seriously, you're grasping at nothing, just make the self realization already.
      02-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #27
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

The reality is most of us are tracking our daily drivers! Even M3s are not real track cars. So among non track cars, 335 can hold it's own with some mods. End of story!
      02-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #28
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sigh...I couldn't resist playing the O-Cha game - push button X, get reaction Y!

But alas, it ended in a circular discussion, again predictably. Sorry guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #29
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

I get your point lefty. I see it both ways, since I do have a dedicated track car. At the same time, I've also driven some very nice (and fast) street cars on the track. they are both fun, even though their primary purpose is different.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Sigh...I couldn't resist playing the O-Cha game - push button X, get reaction Y!

But alas, it ended in a circular discussion, again predictably. Sorry guys.
You can be excused by posting a norcal link for one of those 'all you can drive' events you referenced in an earlier post
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #31
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
You can be excused by posting a norcal link for one of those 'all you can drive' events you referenced in an earlier post
haha. It's really just "open test and tune days", usually during the weekdays. Call the track and ask when they'll occur next. Usually it's run by the track.

Be forewarned: It's the wild west on those days. Sometimes no track workers. Often no ambulance. Some people point, some people don't. Some show up in track unworthy cars (such as the 335!) and some show up in Formula Continentals.

You haven't shat in your pants until you almost cream a Formula car trying to steal an apex from you because you didn't see him.

But it's nice to be able to go out 5 minutes, warm up the tires, go in and test tire temps, tweak a few things and go out for another 5 minutes to determine the impact of your change.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #32
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Be forewarned: It's the wild west on those days. Sometimes no track workers. Often no ambulance. Some people point, some people don't. Some show up in track unworthy cars (such as the 335!) and some show up in Formula Continentals.

You haven't shat in your pants until you almost cream a Formula car trying to steal an apex from you because you didn't see him.
That's not for me then I was recently at a 'wild west-like' day at thill. A bit too much stress and not enough fun for my tastes. Maybe it would be more fun if I was the guy in the purpose built car not the guy in the 328
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #33
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Thank god we don't have wild "west" here on east coast.

J/k
      02-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #34
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Thank god we don't have wild "west" here on east coast.

J/k
Uptight East?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #35
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

I had that coming, lol!
      02-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #36
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

I found out I got into Cornell MBA program today so decided to celebrate by 'doubling up' run groups at the 3/21 NASA day at infineon. Will let you all know how it goes

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #37
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
I found out I got into Cornell MBA program today so decided to celebrate by 'doubling up' run groups at the 3/21 NASA day at infineon. Will let you all know how it goes

Great another B-School student just what we need. Congrats

San Francisco to Cornell --> talk about an environment shift!
      02-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #38
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Great another B-School student just what we need. Congrats

I actually spend 5yrs at Cornell for undergrad and master of engineering already. I know ALL about the cold weather!!!

Still have some more apps in the pipe, fingers crossed those come through with solid results. Always nice to have options

Now if only the econ would cooperate and improve by 2011 when I graduate so I can swap my 328 for a GT3......
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #39
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I second that comment. I visited Cornell after applying (got in later) and had been living on the left coast for undergrad and couple of years of work.

It was November and the tour guides were super excited because it hadn't snowed and was over 20 degrees. It's gray, cold and isolated. I nixed that option pretty quickly.

But hell, I ended up somewhere not much different!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #40
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
I second that comment. I visited Cornell after applying (got in later) and had been living on the left coast for undergrad and couple of years of work.

It was November and the tour guides were super excited because it hadn't snowed and was over 20 degrees. It's gray, cold and isolated. I nixed that option pretty quickly.

But hell, I ended up somewhere not much different!
I visited Cornell but felt too isolated in upstate Ithaca, NY. Good school though, if you are into being that full of "hot air" MBA type.

Just had a presentation done by 2 MBAs, they talked a lot but said nothing. When consulting dollars are slim, they should rethink their presentation model.
      02-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #41
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Just had a presentation done by 2 MBAs, they talked a lot but said nothing. When consulting dollars are slim, they should rethink their presentation model.
Should hire the firm I work for next time. We are so good we are ADDING headcount this year to keep with increased demand for our professional services

Send some RFPs my way ?

EDIT: "Good school though, if you are into being that full of "hot air" MBA type." isn't that the same as saying 'bad school' :P
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #42
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Cornell isn't bad. As you know, right or wrong, ranking is everything in the business world. Let's just say you should explore options higher up on the ranking scale if you have the opportunity.

In today's world, I just turned down a Haas grad for a post-mba position because a Wharton boy was available for the same price. It ain't gunna be much different in 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #43
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Yea I agree completely. Cornell is pretty much the bare minimum ranking to make b-school a worthwhile proposition.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #44
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Cornell isn't bad. As you know, right or wrong, ranking is everything in the business world. Let's just say you should explore options higher up on the ranking scale if you have the opportunity.

In today's world, I just turned down a Haas grad for a post-mba position because a Wharton boy was available for the same price. It ain't gunna be much different in 2 years.
It's a buyers market right now for employers due to huge glut of "potentials" running around.

Quote:
Should hire the firm I work for next time. We are so good we are ADDING headcount this year to keep with increased demand for our professional services

Send some RFPs my way ?

EDIT: "Good school though, if you are into being that full of "hot air" MBA type." isn't that the same as saying 'bad school' :P
I'm just giving you are hard time

Oh, and take it easy at the DE, no reason to drive fatigued. I need more than four 30 minute to be satisfied but I max out at 3.0-3.5 hours of drive time.
I witnessed too many wrecks in the last session of a December DE. People were overconfident from "knowing the course", driving aggressively on wasted tires and brakes and mentally and physically fatigued. IMO a recipe for disaster.