E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > non BMW oil just as good?

01-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #23
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
do they mod snowblowers
Mine didn't have a light, so I asked how I could put one on. Some dude told me to look for a brown lead underneath the gas tank close to the starter, that's for a headlight, and I could get a 12V light to use for about $8. I go out to look and it's like WTF, the brown wire is there exactly where he said!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #24
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV. View Post
i have to do an oil change on my my car and i dont want to pay for the over priced oil at the dealership. does any body know what the non bmw equivalent is? what non bmw oil do you use? i have the 335 with with 50K on it. which one should i use? thanks.
How much more could it be to use what the manufacturer recommends? $10? $25? What is your car worth? If you have a failure I bet you'll go running to BMW. In my opinion, there are some things you can save $ on and others you just shouldnt?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #25
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I've got an AutoZone and an Advanced right across the street from each other here in town. Usually one of them has a special with 5 quarts Mobile1 and a Mobile Filter for $35 or so. They include the 0w40 Euro in the special. I sometimes get the 5 quart special at one and the other 3 across the street if it works out cheaper. They don't carry the filter for my car in Mobile but the special+filter is cheaper that the oil alone so I've got a pile of Honda Civic filters.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #26
Hulley
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
How much more could it be to use what the manufacturer recommends? $10? $25? What is your car worth? If you have a failure I bet you'll go running to BMW. In my opinion, there are some things you can save $ on and others you just shouldnt?
This.
I often argue the fact that running Premium fuel not only is correct for your BMW but at 10 - 15 cents a gallon more only costs a few bucks per tank. You'd be amazed at how many people are just determined to run cheap fuel in their Bimmers. Blows me away.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #27
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
This.
I often argue the fact that running Premium fuel not only is correct for your BMW but at 10 - 15 cents a gallon more only costs a few bucks per tank. You'd be amazed at how many people are just determined to run cheap fuel in their Bimmers. Blows me away.
Much like I don't put garbage in my body, I treat my car the same way. I mean, how frequently are we topping off oil or doing oil changes? Not nearly frequently enough to gripe about a couple extra bucks here and there. And at least oil top offs cost nothing at the dealer until warranty is up.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #28
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Mobil 1 0W40 at Walmart
Castrol 0W30 at Autozone.

Those are the two common ones you'll find other than the OEM Castrol. Both are LL-01 approved.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #29
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

I just get this

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

$65 shipped. Probably can do it for less, but not much. I have no problem using Mobil One oil and filters, but so far haven't found BMW filters at any autoparts store I went to and I would never use filters from Fram and other similar companies anyway. Really perfer Mann, which I think is who makes BMW filters.

Honestly, you're not going to beat that price by much with that Mobil 1 oil that is on sale and I bet that oil is not even the one recommended by BMW anyway.

I use that kit, then I order it's replacement shortly after the oil change to have have another kit on hand ready to go. So it's not a big deal waiting on shipping. It's not like oil changes are a big surprise.

Maybe your dealership can beat that price for the same exact stuff. I really am not sure if the dealerships around me can, but their price difference for coilpacks compared to Tischer was double what Tischer charges, so I usually don't bother getting anything from the dealership if I can.

Last edited by Casca; 01-12-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0