E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Replaced rotors, now parking brake doesn't hold on hills

12-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Phil G
Dominator of Deep South curvy roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Replaced rotors, now parking brake doesn't hold on hills

Hey guys,

Title pretty much says it all. Is this just a strange coincidence that my parking brake no longer holds after replacing rotors, or are they related? Car's overall braking power while driving definitely has not decreased at all.
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
kevin@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

You can try driving on your road around 5MPH and slowly engage your hand brake so it can make a coating film on the inside of your rotor for the brake shoes. You should eventually get back the friction or else you would need to adjust the parking shoes on the rear rotors.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
GummyWermz
Commander In Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@bavarianx View Post
You can try driving on your road around 5MPH and slowly engage your hand brake so it can make a coating film on the inside of your rotor for the brake shoes. You should eventually get back the friction or else you would need to adjust the parking shoes on the rear rotors.
what he said. i'm assuming you replaced the rear rotors. there's an adjustment nut inside the parking brake drum.
      12-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Crusader
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M-sport

IIRC (this from way back), you back the car up and apply parking brake to adjust as you're rolling backward.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty.M3 View Post
what he said. i'm assuming you replaced the rear rotors. there's an adjustment nut inside the parking brake drum.
Yea you need to adjust the parking brake shoes. There's no film to get off or anything.

You just need to adjust it so it clamps as soon as you pull the lever but doesn't drag when it's off.

Jack the rear up by the diff (not the cover!), take the wheels off (both sides), then you rotate the rotors until you see the adjust screw. Push the screw until the rotors don't move then back off a few clicks. Repeat on the other side.

Car needs to be in neutral to do this.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Sorry to thread jack but. . .

Rear rotors won't come off, which way do you turn the adjuster screwto contract the shoes in away from rotor?
[2007 328i|Black Sapphire|Terra Leather|6 MT|Xenon headlights|BMW Alarm|Clear Bra|Stainless Steel Pedal Pads|Black Line Tails|MTEC V3.0 Angel Eyes|HUPER OPTIK 30 Ceramic TINT|GPThunder Fogs|LED License Plate mod|Sport Shocks/Springs upgrade|ZHP Shift Knob|//M Dead Pedal|Matte Black Grill|Aluminum Strut Bar|Cyba Air Scoops|Rear Fog Switch|Perforated Mtech Wheel|Miro 935s|Hankook v12 evo Tires|BMW SSK]| BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
SloppyJoe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9sBMW View Post

Rear rotors won't come off, which way do you turn the adjuster screwto contract the shoes in away from rotor?
Did you remember to release the handbrake? If you did then the hub is probably seized to the rotor, you can whack it a few times with rubber mallet to try to get it off. Mine was stuck so bad I had to borrow a jaw puller from autozone to get it off.

2007 Montego Blue E92 335i
Procede V5, Injen DCI, VK Catless Downpipe, Helix Intercooler, STETT oil cooler, Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Phil G
United_States
Rep

Guys, thanks for the help. I did try the "pull up the parking brake at 5 mph" trick a few times, and it did help a little...it will hold on slight inclines. However, the car still rolls on steep inclines. I will probably just need to take the wheels off one day and adjust when I have time (which I don't now).

g9s, to answer your question, it can take a LOT of hard and aggressive hammering to knock the rotors off. I had to buy a 3 lb hammer and continuously hit my rotors at different places on the hub (and I mean taking long, powerful swings too) for at least 10 minutes before they finally broke free of the rust. Using WD-40 or PB may help too.

It surprised me how much time and hammering force it took to knock them loose...I almost felt like I was going to damage the hub or something else. But, you have to consider, if the hub can take pothole impacts under the full weight of the car at higher speeds, it can take you hammering the crap out of the rotor attached to it for a long while.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
Guys, thanks for the help. I did try the "pull up the parking brake at 5 mph" trick a few times, and it did help a little...it will hold on slight inclines. However, the car still rolls on steep inclines. I will probably just need to take the wheels off one day and adjust when I have time (which I don't now).

g9s, to answer your question, it can take a LOT of hard and aggressive hammering to knock the rotors off. I had to buy a 3 lb hammer and continuously hit my rotors at different places on the hub (and I mean taking long, powerful swings too) for at least 10 minutes before they finally broke free of the rust. Using WD-40 or PB may help too.

It surprised me how much time and hammering force it took to knock them loose...I almost felt like I was going to damage the hub or something else. But, you have to consider, if the hub can take pothole impacts under the full weight of the car at higher speeds, it can take you hammering the crap out of the rotor attached to it for a long while.
so did you remember to release the hanbrake or not? Im sure hammering the rotors with the strength you just described would damage them and cause vibration later when braking...
      02-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by g9sBMW View Post

Did you remember to release the handbrake? If you did then the hub is probably seized to the rotor, you can whack it a few times with rubber mallet to try to get it off. Mine was stuck so bad I had to borrow a jaw puller from autozone to get it off.
Yes handbrake was off, I too had to buy a dead blow 3lb hammer and PB Blaster. A rubber mallet is not heavy enough and recoils.
[2007 328i|Black Sapphire|Terra Leather|6 MT|Xenon headlights|BMW Alarm|Clear Bra|Stainless Steel Pedal Pads|Black Line Tails|MTEC V3.0 Angel Eyes|HUPER OPTIK 30 Ceramic TINT|GPThunder Fogs|LED License Plate mod|Sport Shocks/Springs upgrade|ZHP Shift Knob|//M Dead Pedal|Matte Black Grill|Aluminum Strut Bar|Cyba Air Scoops|Rear Fog Switch|Perforated Mtech Wheel|Miro 935s|Hankook v12 evo Tires|BMW SSK]| BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
Phil G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciomas View Post
so did you remember to release the hanbrake or not? Im sure hammering the rotors with the strength you just described would damage them and cause vibration later when braking...
Yes, handbrake was off. Also, I still don't know I'd worry about damage. From my research, this actually is across the board a pretty common method of knocking rotors loose. I've seen it used in instructional videos, other forums, etc for plenty of other makes and models out there as well. Everyone, feel free to correct me if I am wrong here though.
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0