E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Retrofit help please

10-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #23
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

I did add it back on CAS and NFRM (I see FRM) but I don't see it in ECU list and issued SG_RESET on 2URAD.

Do I have to code blank .man or something like that to CAS or NFRM, I know I cannot do blank .man file on 2URAD and 2MULF because I really cannot do anything to them. I even cannot SG_RESET to 2MULF...is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #24
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrou
I did add it back on CAS and NFRM (I see FRM) but I don't see it in ECU list and issued SG_RESET on 2URAD.

Do I have to code blank .man or something like that to CAS or NFRM, I know I cannot do blank .man file on 2URAD and 2MULF because I really cannot do anything to them. I even cannot SG_RESET to 2MULF...is this normal?
This isn't normal but we then can't tell if the MOST was connected correctly. In my case I did follow the procedures in a PDF for the retrofit but turned out it was wrong. I had to reconfigure the MOST junction then use a flash light and listened for clicks from the speakers when the loop wasn't closed.
      10-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #25
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

OHHH....the procedures in PDF is wrong?? Actually thats what I followed. I am wondering if this is why it is not working?

But I think fiber optics cables are for sound not for power and control, correct me if I am wrong. The 54 pin is what controls MULF really not fiber optic cable/most junction box.

My problem is I don't see phone/tel option in my radio. If I have sound problems after connecting my phone to car then it will be fiber optic loop done wrong, but I didn't reach this step yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes def can be wrong. Maybe the document was released before the MY08 Cars. I'm not sure but it took me 5hrs to figure out.
I am not sure of what get transferred over the fiber optic loop but sound is one an this is the direct way how modules "talk" with each other. If the MULF is not connected on the loop correctly it will never talk to the car; even if it is receiving power via the wired harness. Also would explain why the tel options and such wouldn't pop in on the radio.

As a side note, you will loose the Aux connection in your center armrest when the MULF2 starts working correctly. Aux input is now handled over the MULF2. This maybe because of the 6FL VO option.

Let's figure how to get the module working in the car first though.
      10-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I took you 5 hours to figure it out?? then probably thats why it is not working with me. It will make my life easier if there is away to distinguish the cables. If I have 3 in TOP junction box and 2 in bottom junction box, does this ring a bell to you on which cable is which?

I am sure I don't have any setup right now. So I am not sure what are the 2 cables that are in bottom junction box for?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrou View Post
I took you 5 hours to figure it out?? then probably thats why it is not working with me. It will make my life easier if there is away to distinguish the cables. If I have 3 in TOP junction box and 2 in bottom junction box, does this ring a bell to you on which cable is which?

I am sure I don't have any setup right now. So I am not sure what are the 2 cables that are in bottom junction box for?
The way I remember it was that I traced the source and the return cable to the junction since it is all a loop. which is basically the 2 coming from the front of the car. Source has extra sheeting on the end to any junction. unplug MOST cables from the Mulf then point my flashlight at the source side (Cable with black sheeting). If the light signal appears on the other side (MOST plug from MULF) then it is incorrect. I then traced the cabling of the Mulf to the junction. (Take a pic b4 starting in case you mess up and want trace back). Flashlight again to figure whose source/ return at the main distributor junction. I think what I did the was replace the bottom PIN 1 of main distributor station with bottom pin 1 of preparation distributor station. Main purpose is completing a loop.. this maybe different for you because you have the Logic 7 system.

My car is disabled right now with my intake in the trunk so I can't get to take a pic for examples. I hope it gave you an idea of what to do though.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #29
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Finally it work !!! now i see phone on my radio screen. Fiber optic loop was wrong, but what I did is I found the two cables for MULF and connected it to main distributor. I repositioned last output cable (PIN2) to PIN3 and and connected output cable of MULF to PIN2 and Input cable to PIN3. I hope this didn't screw anything else like logic 7. I don't know how to test logic 7.

So moving to next step. You mentioned I will lose AUX input, how can I fix that. I see USB in my option but there is to dashes above that "--" does that mean if I install USB beside AUX, will I have USB working or I need to do extra thing?

Also, do I need to change MIC pin behind glove box at all?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #30
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrou View Post
Finally it work !!! now i see phone on my radio screen. Fiber optic loop was wrong, but what I did is I found the two cables for MULF and connected it to main distributor. I repositioned last output cable (PIN2) to PIN3 and and connected output cable of MULF to PIN2 and Input cable to PIN3. I hope this didn't screw anything else like logic 7. I don't know how to test logic 7.

So moving to next step. You mentioned I will lose AUX input, how can I fix that. I see USB in my option but there is to dashes above that "--" does that mean if I install USB beside AUX, will I have USB working or I need to do extra thing?

Also, do I need to change MIC pin behind glove box at all?
If your sound works the L7 is good man and happy you got it working..

To get aux working you will need to make a cable for it as this part isn't sold anywhere. and for the USB to work you will need USB/Aux Socket (P/n - 84109237654 ) and a USB Extension Cable ( p/n - 61119129360 ). The hardest part of this running these two wires to the MULF. I just finished this awhile ago and had to lift my carpet up a bit to fish them through..
Oh and if your mic works now you don't need to rewire under the fuse box.

Making the AUX cable is another thing. I can source the p/n for the pins but not the p/n of connector for USB/Aux Socket
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Are you serious??? This sounds more work than what I did so far. So I don't have AUX ? I didn't test it yet but I assumed it will be working since I see it on Audio screen. How can I make the cable? Is there an existing DIY for it?

I don't have mic installed yet, but I wanted to know if I need to do the re-pin. According to what I read so far, I need to do the re-pin. Correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #32
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Aux and USB is there as the car assumes that the two are wired. Its all plug and play from here though. There's no DIY as yet but I do remember a member finding a p/n for a wiring set that may or may not carry this Aux cable. I had bought mine from another member who had his built at an auto shop.

The only way to tell if you need to re-pin for the mic is to install the mic then test with a phone call or via Voice command. I would assume though that you would need to re-pin because our cars are from the same MY. BUT we don't have the same options so try installing the mic first and see.. Visit the For/Sale thread I think someone has one for sale.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for your reply. I think I will just get USB extension cable and socket for now, If I have USB, I don't think I will need AUX. Is there anything else I need other than P/N 84109237654 and p/n - 61119129360 to get USB to work? No need for Hub or something like that?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #34
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrou
Thanks for your reply. I think I will just get USB extension cable and socket for now, If I have USB, I don't think I will need AUX. Is there anything else I need other than P/N 84109237654 and p/n - 61119129360 to get USB to work? No need for Hub or something like that?
Nothing else except if you want to use your iPod. You will need the AUX cable and Y-Cable..

The hub is only needed if you want to have the second USB port in your glove box. More wires and wires to connect.. I ditched this part altogether..
      11-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #35
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I don't have iPod or iPhone (not a fan) so USB should be good enough for me

I tried to search for a guide to see how to route USB cable from MULF to armrest. Cable seems to be short so I need to run it underneath rear seat. Is there easy way to remove center armrest to pass cable from inside?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

PichaDis11, can you guide me on what is the best way to run the cable from MULF to armrest box? Is there a guide on how to open the armrest from back to run the cable through it?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #37
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Time to get creative man!

Watch this VIDEO man. Its how I learnt to take mine off. Except the removing the arm rest itself and that its not an E90 either but its just how I got the concept. Grab the top of the trim just below the top where the vents are housed and pull back a little. (The little part where the guy grabbed at first in vid) then there are two clips on either side that holds it in place. Use a flat point to undo those and it should come off.

On running the wires, you just gotta be creative. The wire isnt that long so I just ran mine under the black cushion for the rear seats then under the carpet to the back left of the center console.

here's a diy as well.. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29773

Oh careful also with placing the cable near the sharpe metal edges. The cabling is kinda soft.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #38
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thank you for DIYs and your advice. That's what I was looking for
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #39
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

How'd everything work of for you?
      12-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #40
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

worked as you described...I ran the cable from backseats to armrest it doesn't look as nice as if it was underneath the carpet but I can live with it.

Next thing I want to do is the AUX. I still don't have it hooked. you mentioned there is a workaround for it somewhere but I cannot find it? Would you mind sharing it with me please?
Appreciate 0