E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP Failed, middle of busy highway, stopped DEAD. Lucky to not get hit.

03-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #45
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

A good friend of mine had his 2nd failure yesterday. He was at the light...engine light comes one...light turns green...he starts to accelerate and his car started to violently shake. Had to get it towed.

BMW BETTER use all that frickin' $$$ that they've made on us, and find some kind of a REAL solution...not just this 10yr/100K extended warranty thing. NOT good enough BMW IMO. As someone stated earlier, will it take a DEATH b/c of a HPFP issue to wake them up?!?!?? BMW had better watch very closely to what's going on with Toyota; ie, BMW knows there's a problem, BUT not really finding a real solution....trying to cut cost??!?!? Well, it isgoing to cost them a whole lot more IF a death occurs.

Sorry, just wanting to vent.

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #46
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
OP here. Techs just called me. It's the fuel pump. He said I was an "outstanding mechanic" and seemed impressed I knew what component had failed. I only wish that was the case

So, HPFP is confirmed.
LOl @ comment.

I told my SA the samething, I'm like yea its the fuel pump.

He like, "how do you know".

I'm like they go just as much as the employees here, he just laughs.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #47
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post

A good friend of mine had his 2nd failure yesterday. He was at the light...engine light comes one...light turns green...he starts to accelerate and his car started to violently shake. Had to get it towed.

BMW BETTER use all that frickin' $$$ that they've made on us, and find some kind of a REAL solution...not just this 10yr/100K extended warranty thing. NOT good enough BMW IMO. As someone stated earlier, will it take a DEATH b/c of a HPFP issue to wake them up?!?!?? BMW had better watch very closely to what's going on with Toyota; ie, BMW knows there's a problem, BUT not really finding a real solution....trying to cut cost??!?!? Well, it isgoing to cost them a whole lot more IF a death occurs.

Sorry, just wanting to vent.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #48
e90-ZeRo
Prone to sudden bursts of acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-Series

I keep saying in every 335i thread that I got to try one of those amazing cars and I gotta say, as great as they are (and believe me, I do want one), the fact this HPFP failure thing is still an issue at all, scares me into being happy with my lowly 325i. I'm sure this HPFP is blown out of proportion but don't you think it's a bit unnerving wondering if you've got a ticking time bomb waiting to go off the second you get on the highway?

Also one thing I don't like about the 335i is that they replaced the MPG gauge with a temperature gauge. I do like that it's there but it could be done better. How come they couldn't have just had a temperature read out on the OBC thing, instead of showing you how much miles you've got until you run out or your average speed, how come they can't just put a little thermometer icon and have the temperature read out there? Maybe it'd be confusing with the outside temperature but I think the little icon would be obvious. Or is an accurate MPG reading harder on a forced induction car?

Last edited by e90-ZeRo; 03-03-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #49
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
I don't think even your Ferrari's caused this much theater.
I was behind a black 599GTB in traffic last night--when I saw that and looked hard, it was like Carerra 4S or Turbo S what????

I hate these stories, they just illustrate the potential for a problem. OP said 24k.....good luck and hopefully 943 pumps fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #50
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
LOl @ comment.

I told my SA the samething, I'm like yea its the fuel pump.

He like, "how do you know".

I'm like they go just as much as the employees here, he just laughs.
I remember when I told the SA I heard the HPFP's are failing (when my car died twice), he said I haven't heard that. What a load of BS, huh? If they've been in the business long enough, they must absolutely hate forums and the web.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #51
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobaeux View Post
Wow, really sucks.

This HPFP issue is starting to make me nervous.
Don't worry, sounds like your HPFP is working fine if it really sucks. It is a pump after all.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #52
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

oh, you must be mistaken, my SA **assures me** that they NEVER fail all at once like that...

Grrr.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #53
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

Glad to hear you're alright. The HPFP failure is a major problem, and was a deal breaker for me. Once I found out I didn't even consider the 335, that is until the D came along.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #54
Cali_Creez
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT; BNR34; S1000RR

Wish I couldnt relate to this post but I can... Funny thing is yesterday morning as I was driving to work, I saw a black cat sprinting down the road. As I got closer it darted past my car. My first thought was, "oh sh!t" lol. Needless to say about 2 hrs later I experienced the HPFP fail. It's actually very scary for the car to shut off while you're on the highway. Especially in Washington DC with these SUPER aggressive drivers. Oddly enough after mine cut off, I cleared the 6 codes that came with it and it started back up. My destination was only maybe a couple miles away so I continued my drive. During those 2-3 more miles the car would cut power for maybe half a sec then come back on. Pretty scary stuff. I have an 07 335i e92 with a little over 82k... most likely will be trading this car in after this incident.

From California, but currently living in Japan.
2001 Bnr34 vspec2
2011 e92 m3
2013 s1000rr
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #55
egregor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali FlyBoyZ View Post
Wish I couldnt relate to this post but I can... Funny thing is yesterday morning as I was driving to work, I saw a black cat sprinting down the road. As I got closer it darted past my car. My first thought was, "oh sh!t" lol. Needless to say about 2 hrs later I experienced the HPFP fail. It's actually very scary for the car to shut off while you're on the highway. Especially in Washington DC with these SUPER aggressive drivers. Oddly enough after mine cut off, I cleared the 6 codes that came with it and it started back up. My destination was only maybe a couple miles away so I continued my drive. During those 2-3 more miles the car would cut power for maybe half a sec then come back on. Pretty scary stuff. I have an 07 335i e92 with a little over 82k... most likely will be trading this car in after this incident.
Have you had the HPFP replaced under recall? Failures seem to have been extremely uncommon with the new pump.
Appreciate 0