E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Big problems with making Jet Black color at the dealership !

05-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 320d

Big problems with making Jet Black color at the dealership !

Hello,

I have bought M Sport package and now the bumpers are painted and the color does not match with my old color. My dealer told me that BMW has only one non metallic black, Schwarz 2 - BMW 668. And now I see that my car has some greenish tone in black and this new color is deeper black than original and it has some red tone. I am really pissed off ! Both are black but mine is like little grey in comparision with this new one. On one place on the web I have found that BMW has 2 versions of the 668 color, one is pure black and the other is with 5% green ? Is it really possible that Jet Black has 5% green and that it is not 100% black when you want to make it in shop ? Please if anyone can give me info what are the parts for BMW 668 color so I can show it to my dealer and tell him that this is the color that I need and I dont care if BMW has only one black color because it does not match with my car. Please take note that I am from Croatia and I need some infos that I can print or use , not answers like, change the dealer because I will do that but I want have something to show him in case that he also says me that it is 100% black and I will get the same problem again.

Thank you very much and I hope that someone will help me.

Cheers
      05-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
digital01
Search or ban.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

To my knowledge there are only 2 blacks, jet black and black sapphire, sapphire being metallic. The difference between the two is quite noticeable up close. The black sapphire has a generous amount of metallic flakes.

In regards to your question about paint shade varying between the years, I'm pretty sure the blending has remained the same. However. Paint can look different in shade dependent on base coat thickness, clear coat thickness, material of surface, and how well the surface was prepped. All of these variables can make the same paint blend look a little "off" in color compared to your OE paint. Proper lighting will really make this noticeable as reflection and depth are two of the primary characteristics that we perceive. This is generally why a good paint shop might prep and paint the surrounding areas of the part being painted, also known as blending.

If you plan on getting the part repainted again, do some research and find a reputable paint/body professional. Painting even coats, especially on oddly shaped and curvy parts takes quite a bit of skill and patience. There are different qualities and brands of paint as well.

Automotive painting has so many variables involved that the quality of work dependent on skill varies tremendously. Trust me, you will thank yourself for saving up a little extra and finding a pro that can ensure you prior to painting that they can install and replicate the color that is currently on your vehicle. Let us know where you're from and I'm sure someone on here will know a reputable painter within your proximity.
'06 325i Black // iDrive // Cold Weather Pkg // Terra Dakota Leather // Lux 5.1 AE LED // Comfort Access // Premium Pkg // Ray's Sebring 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 w/ 245.35.19 - Mich. PS2 & 275.30.19 - Conti. SportContact2 // Front Bumper Splitters // MSD Air Scoops
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Im in Croatia The problem is that this old color has greenich tone and this new one has red tone and it is deeper black than old color. Glasurit says that in Jet Black there are black, oxidred and ocker ( that is like brown ).
      06-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, here is the photo, upper side is OEM Schwarz 2 - 668 - Jet Black, from the factory, other is also Jet Black according to PPG but it is not even close to OEM color. So, my car, according to Glasurit Line 55 has 20% green in it, talk about pure black And that is only with Line 55, Line 90 is obviously not used in factory since it has only black and grey in it, Line 55 has around 20% of dark green, maybe someone would need it.
Attached Images

06-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
digital01
Search or ban.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

those look like two completely different colors. How can they call both of those the same name (JB) when the shade is not even close? Jet black is jet black is jet black. Regardless of where you get it done, it should always be the same shade. Thats the whole point of having a paint code.
'06 325i Black // iDrive // Cold Weather Pkg // Terra Dakota Leather // Lux 5.1 AE LED // Comfort Access // Premium Pkg // Ray's Sebring 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 w/ 245.35.19 - Mich. PS2 & 275.30.19 - Conti. SportContact2 // Front Bumper Splitters // MSD Air Scoops
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
napauto
NAPAUTO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 XI / Raven Black /Oys

Smile Jet Black paint problem

Using the correct paint code will not guarantee a perfect match.

Most black auto paint formulas have tints other than black which is mixed in grams according to the size of the part being refinished. One gram too much or too little can change the color hue, which then shows when placed next to the existing painted parts of the vehicle.

Also, paint batches mixed at the factory may vary... like dye lots on garments. Each time a new batch is mixed, the color hues can vary. To compensate, refinishers use color variation chips, provided by the paint manufacturer, to help solve the problem. Some black formulas have five or more chip variations.

Trained technicians will choose the correct chip, and the formula associated with that chip, to correctly match the color.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 02:49 AM   #7
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

@digital01: Just go on http://coloronline.glasurit.com/ and choose BMW SCHWARZ 2 and then see what colors go in Line 90 and what colors go in Line 55 and you will see, I also cannot understand this, I thought that this Line of product is not important but it is VERY important because those are completely different colors.That green black is from the factory. Jet black ( SCHWARZ 2 - 668 ) back in 90s was only one tint, pure black and thats it but now they add green or oxidred or blue in it and that why our cars are not pure black when compared to real black.

@napauto: yes, this color also has 6 tints including black but the same color Jet Black in Line 90 has 4 tints and none of them is green but 4-5% red and Line 55 has 20% green in it, I really dont understand why is that.

Here is Jet Black in Line 55 and Line 90
Attached Images

Last edited by Busha; 06-11-2011 at 03:55 AM..
Appreciate 0