E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Newbies - Say 'H E L L O' HERE!

11-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #353
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Your car was the one on top gear? They told you this or you found out? awesome, Best colour mate. who was first registered owner? bmw uk?
I knew it was a BMW UK Launch/Press Car. There were two on the BMW AUC website at the same time and price. Someone mentioned that the Red w/ Black Leather one at Manchester BMW was the one Fifth Gear had used, so it got me thinking about which one Top Gear had used. As soon as I looked at YouTube it confirmed the reg was the same as the one I had put a deposit on at Huntingdon BMW.

A friend of a friend is a BMW Tech at Bracknell and he often has to work on press/launch cars. He said he'd not think twice about buying one as they get checked in and out each time, with a "make it like new" attitude each time. Buying a used car is always a lottery as to what kind of driver has been behind the wheel, at least this way it's had BMW UK look over it a number of times before I got it.

I think the fact it has the Top Gear video and has been driven by The Stig is really quite cool and didn't bother me in the slightest. At least I know it's run in !!! I just wish I could get a high res copy of the program.... but sure the Beeb wouldn't let me have one. I've series linked all the Top Gear repeats in the hope the episode is re-run.

The colour combo is quite subtle and sometimes I do think I should have gone for the Red or White, but then I'm not really a "look at me, bling" kind of guy. I had it detailed a couple of weeks ago and it really does (well, before the road grim covered it again) look out the box new

Last edited by biscuits; 11-05-2008 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: bad schpellin
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #354
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Mate im with you, ive always said i would buy an ex press car.... Because i know they get good treatment from bmw and everything that may have a slight issue will get replaced.

Great car with good history. Come find me first when you come to sell it.

There is another chap on here with an E93 version who was pissed off when he found out his was used for a mah thrash, i did tell him its nothing to worry about.

Just would have though BMW would have told you, because if i owned it id think its cool and if i never knew id be missing out LOL.

Carlos
      11-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #355
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Just would have though BMW would have told you, because if i owned it id think its cool and if i never knew id be missing out LOL. Carlos
In the options list, you will see PRESS PREPERATION. I often wondered what this means, but it's just a way of keeping a record of press/launch cars. It's just like any other optional extra on the car, it's stored on the BMW database linked to your chassis number.

The dealer knew it was a BMW UK press car, but didn't know it was used by Top Gear. I told the sales guy when I collected it and he thought it was pretty cool too. I guess it would put SOME people off though.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #356
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
In the options list, you will see PRESS PREPERATION. I often wondered what this means, but it's just a way of keeping a record of press/launch cars. It's just like any other optional extra on the car, it's stored on the BMW database linked to your chassis number.

The dealer knew it was a BMW UK press car, but didn't know it was used by Top Gear. I told the sales guy when I collected it and he thought it was pretty cool too. I guess it would put SOME people off though.

Cool as fook mate. What month was she registered? Did you get a good deal buddy?

Maybe press prep does include a few extra bits.
      11-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #357
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool as fook mate. What month was she registered? Did you get a good deal buddy? Maybe press prep does include a few extra bits.
Built June 2007, Registered July 2007.

Got a cracking deal when I bought it (£8k under other similar offerings), but can pick similar ones up for same money now
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:01 AM   #358
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
No need to apologize. They haven't kicked me off, uh, yet. Southern, huh? What part? You are saving your Confederate money, are you not?

- A Southern Yankee.
South Carolina. And yes sir I do have a few Confederate Bills stashed away. Oddly enough I'm staying in the North while I am here in the UK for a bit.

- J
      11-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #359
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Mines press preparation too....Carlos how you think i got a E92 320d loaded to F**k man ...everyone else has 335D/i loaded.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #360
stuartrav
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 330d Msport Saloon 08 facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
If I remember correctly, if you want to play DRM protected files from an iPod, you need the Y connector, as the audio is fed to the 3.5mm jack, rather than through the USB connector. It is a rip off, but it is very neat and tidy.

I ordered the USB but didn't get the case on the underside of the armrest either. Do you or anyone else on here know if you are meant to get it with the facelift E90? Maybe you only get the case if you buy an M3?

I await your replies before I contact my stealer
      11-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #361
boxtaboy
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster

Hello, lurking newbie here. Checking out the posts on here for my wife's car - 320iSE Auto Touring. Great 20 page post on 320i issues is the main reason but hoping to learn a few more things. By the wya, anyone know how to get into the housing where the engine air filter is ? can't see any obvious clips, screws or bolts to open it up
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:19 AM   #362
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hi Boxta and welcome. Sure someone will be along soon with some help on your airbox...

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #363
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Hi!

I'm not new to BMW's and I've been reading this forum for ages...but I guess I'm still a newbie as I only registered tonight!

Spent months looking at the M3post but theres hardly any locals on there (well, not within a few thousand miles anyway!)...I guess this is the right bit for UK members even with 'M' cars?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 02:49 AM   #364
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hi Palmball.... yep this is the tiny corner the UK guys hang out...

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #365
macster
Rep
Drives: 07 Mini, 08 CRV, 96 Eunos

Hi All

Just registered and a quick hello.

I currently drive an 08 CRV, great tool as I'm a surveyor and also refurbishing our house and the new office premises so very useful!

We have a baby due in Jan 09 and the wife will then drive the CRV and I will then drive the mini until I decide what to get myself.

I'm leaning towards a BMW (Obviously as I am here) I had a brand new 520d M Sport before the CRV but a 4 strong group of thugs broke into the house in broad daylight and stole it from me

Anways, hope this is the right forum to join. As the CRV will be the family car I am leaning towards a coupe this time.

First question, I fancy a petrol this time as I have no commute and drive about 20k a year on business mileage so make a few bob on expenses! and would like a car i enjoy driving more, i had a go recently of my father in laws merc 350cls and it was bliss!

Looking on the web it seems the petrol ones also go for a lot less used so the actual real cost of a diesel seems higher??? Very tempted by a graphite 335i coupe near me, am I mad????
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #366
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by macster View Post
Hi All

Just registered and a quick hello.

I currently drive an 08 CRV, great tool as I'm a surveyor and also refurbishing our house and the new office premises so very useful!

We have a baby due in Jan 09 and the wife will then drive the CRV and I will then drive the mini until I decide what to get myself.

I'm leaning towards a BMW (Obviously as I am here) I had a brand new 520d M Sport before the CRV but a 4 strong group of thugs broke into the house in broad daylight and stole it from me

Anways, hope this is the right forum to join. As the CRV will be the family car I am leaning towards a coupe this time.

First question, I fancy a petrol this time as I have no commute and drive about 20k a year on business mileage so make a few bob on expenses! and would like a car i enjoy driving more, i had a go recently of my father in laws merc 350cls and it was bliss!

Looking on the web it seems the petrol ones also go for a lot less used so the actual real cost of a diesel seems higher??? Very tempted by a graphite 335i coupe near me, am I mad????
Welcome,

If you want petrol why not get teh best and buy an M3, I belive there are some on the market for mid 30k, a bargain!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 03:08 AM   #367
macster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Welcome,

If you want petrol why not get teh best and buy an M3, I belive there are some on the market for mid 30k, a bargain!
Weird you say that, watching top gear on Dave last night and the missus said "ooh thats nice, get one of them" it was an M3

Not sure its very sensible though insurance and fuel wise, is it a big leap from 330i/335i I wonder??? They look mighty cool though, it was the previous shape though, which I still love and would save me even more money.

Cheers for welcome.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #368
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Hi macster,

the 335 is a great tool and can be tuned to be faster accelerating than an m3 and is a great everyday car with better MPG,

OvERALL the M3 is A ''whole package'' and round track is definately more planted.

Try them both.

But the M3 experiance could be overwhelming and you must not let rose tinted spectacles sway you away from the accomplished 335i.

Both cracking cars which dont use diesel.

lotsa love

carlos
      11-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #369
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
You only live once, get an M3
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #370
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hi Macster, the 335i is a fantastic car and on an everyday drive/commute just as quick as an M3. Difference is, the M3 really feels special. The handling, looks and ability to eat a 300 miles weekday trip in comfort and tear round a track at the weekend is simply awsome.

You'd pick up a cracking 335i manual for c£28k and need to spend £7-9k more to get a well spec'd M3. I average 24mpg on a FAST long trip, have seen 28mpg when trying to be economic... and all day long get 20.7mpg driving very spiritedly.

You'll get 5-8mpg more out the 335i... so fueling isn't a load more esp. if you only do 20k a year. Tyres are more, but not a lot as the 335i uses run-flats and the M3's don't (as they are sheeiitee)

The way I looked at is (coming from a 535d and 996 C2) was if I got a 135i or 335i, I'd be wanting an M3 again in 6-12 months.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 02:07 AM   #371
macster
Rep

Cheers for responses thus far guys, appreciated.

I will keep researching and will probably test drive some over the christmas break. A mate of mine works for Williams BMW in used sales so I should be able to get access to some rides easy enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #372
piston-pirates
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just found this 'HELLO' section.....

Maybe I should have started with a Post here before starting threads (Then they might not of been locked in fears of Terrorist activity LOL)

Anyhow.....

I'm from Cornwall, I drive a 335i E92 with plenty of RD goodies, I'm a qualified Motorsport Engineer and apart from being a BMW addict I also like to travel where the sun shines.

I also like long romantic walks in the park......LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #373
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Hi pirates.
      11-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #374
SUB
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325i M sport

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Hi everyone I must be the latest virgin in here I notice there's lots to read so I'd better make a start and do some searching, I wouldn't want to ask something that's been asked a hundred times before now would I
Nice forum BTW

Yes I know it needs lowering or does it?
Attached Images