E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > oil change questions

04-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

oil change questions

Hey guys,
I've spent an hour or so doing searches, but the search terms are so common that I get hundreds of hits...and wading through them all is tedious, so sorry if these questions are simple:

I will be doing my own first oil change on my N54 (up til now dealer has done them). I know the drain plug has a crush washer, which came with the filter I purchased, so I'm good there. And I know the drain plug has a 25Nm torque spec to reinstall.

With regard to the filter replacement: What is the best way to get the filter cap off? I understand it can be very difficult to remove. Will a good strap wrench work? I'd rather not buy a filter cap "socket", but if I need to, what size do I need to get, and are they available at brick and mortar stores?

Also, when reinstalling the filter, is there a filter cap torque spec, or should it just be tightened as tight as possible using the strap wrench?

Thanks in advance for your help!

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
I believe that you can use a strap wrench as long as it is not on there too tight. If you want to buy the tool you will have to buy that from BMW or from one of the other vendors around the forums. I doubt they would have something that works in a autoparts store. I think a new one is $20-30 but it makes it easy.

The filter cover has the torque spec on written on it but I never bother checking it with a torque wrench. If I remember correctly the torque spec is pretty low so I just snug it up and let it go.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M3 Black/Black

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Take the car to Pep Boys, Autozone or some other auto parts store. They will let you go out to your car and try out a few different Filter Cap Sockets till you find the one that fits. It was always a pain to use a strap wrench, so I spent the $11 at Pep Boys and got the socket.

As for the tightening of the cap. Since the dealer was the last to change your oil, just do what I did. I got a flat head screwdriver and off towards the back where you have to really look to see it I put a small nitch in the plastic cap and and a matching one just below the cap on the metal.

You can also get a silver sharpie and draw a small line between the cap and the metal before taking it off, and just do the sharpie trick every time before doing the oil change.
2015 M3 // Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Executive Package / M Double-Clutch Transmission w/ Drivelogic / 19" Black Light-Alloy Wheels / Adaptive M Suspension / Harman Kardon surround sound
Other // Shell Rotella T6 5w40
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Alarbus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 & '19 F36

You can use a strap wrench, but it's a bit more of a pain, and more likely to slip, meaning you're a bit more likely to bash your knuckles. I think I got the proper socket to fit over it from Turner for $20-25, and it's worth it, but it gets used for my car and my Dad's, so it's a bit easier to justify.

Mine has a green marker for "turn to here", so I've never bothered with a torque wrench.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarbus View Post
Mine has a green marker for "turn to here", so I've never bothered with a torque wrench.
Same here.

Get the cap socket from amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Sp...oil+filter+cap
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #6
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I used a claw wrench for removing spinon filters (strap never got enough torque for those) and it works great, but chews up the cap (cosmetic). I have a cap socket now, it is much easier to use
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

The filter cap is also 25NM
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the help guys. I just realized I said that the drain bolt crush washer came with the filter. That's not true is it? (I'm not at home to check). If it doesn't , do I need to get a new one, or just reuse the old one?

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335
Thanks for all the help guys. I just realized I said that the drain bolt crush washer came with the filter. That's not true is it? (I'm not at home to check). If it doesn't , do I need to get a new one, or just reuse the old one?
It should come with the filter along with a small green o-ring and a large black one.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks View Post
It should come with the filter along with a small green o-ring and a large black one.
Yup,
Just got home and checked the K&N oil filter box....in addition to the 2 filter o-rings, there's a black washer, slightly larger than the green o-ring...Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

No problem!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ok, thought I would try to find a filter wrench instead of relying on my strap wrench to get the filter cap off. Pep Boys has an 86mm x 16 wrench. Now I know our filters are 86.5mm, but does anyone know if the 0.5mm makes a difference? Will it fit , but maybe just a little tighter?

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sorry, did a search, and it looks like 86mm will fit just fine..

Appreciate 0