E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Got my boost gauge installed and working right...crazy sh*t!

02-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #45
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e90

haha, that would be fun... but I think we can only get 91 octane here at Southern California.. oh well, I read about some octane boosters, but people said to stay away from them.. wow, so your settings must have to go real low to compensate for the cold weather.. seems you can't go over 85% at most, otherwise you would be hitting the 15psi in no time.. since you are in a "cold" area, you probably have no need for the cold-air intake or the intercooler I suppose.. you can always move here to Cali and have a normal Procede setting, so you are not running at your full potential (or far from it , it seems like)..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #46
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

See, something else is going on here. I've had my digital boost gauge in for about 3 weeks now, and it never ever has read over the 14.6 psi my procede reader shows. I've never had a limp, or C/E light in the last 6 months of running different V2 maps set to 94%. Something strange is going on because I've never had a problem with my V2.

Of course a boost guage is recommended on a tuned turbo car. You wouldn't see any modified Supra's or EVO's running without a boost guage.

The bottom line is this is aftermarket stuff guys. If you choose to mod your car, then you are also choosing to deal with all the extra tuning and fiddling that goes with it.

I will say once again, my V2 procede reader shows a perfect boost curve starting at 14.6 psi, and tapering to about 12.5 psi. My digital boost guage backs this up to a tee.
      02-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #47
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown335i View Post
When it gets warmer 40 F or above you will have to raise the tq settings to compensate.
Negative, that will happen on its own. In fact, you will run lower boost when cold versus hot.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #48
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

meaning he can never get his full potential? assuming he gets 20psi just at 94%.. and 13-14.5psi at 80%.. is the Procede any good in cold weather then?..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #49
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
See, something else is going on here. I've had my digital boost gauge in for about 3 weeks now, and it never ever has read over the 14.6 psi my procede reader shows. I've never had a limp, or C/E light in the last 6 months of running different V2 maps set to 94%. Something strange is going on because I've never had a problem with my V2.

Of course a boost guage is recommended on a tuned turbo car. You wouldn't see any modified Supra's or EVO's running without a boost guage.

The bottom line is this is aftermarket stuff guys. If you choose to mod your car, then you are also choosing to deal with all the extra tuning and fiddling that goes with it.

I will say once again, my V2 procede reader shows a perfect boost curve starting at 14.6 psi, and tapering to about 12.5 psi. My digital boost guage backs this up to a tee.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #50
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michsu View Post
meaning he can never get his full potential? assuming he gets 20psi just at 94%.. and 13-14.5psi at 80%.. is the Procede any good in cold weather then?..
I believe you are misunderstanding the operation. With V2, the PROcede directly controls boost by directly controlling the boost control solenoids. It does reference the factory boost control duty cycle signal to establish a base to begin with. It will further this by monitoring the TMAP signal.

If you look at the stock boost levels you will see they are less during colder weather and higher when it gets warmer. The reason for this is that the factory DME is trying to do load balancing; cooler air is denser so it requires less boost to equal the same power. Since the PROcede is getting its base from the DME, it will also run less boost than in warmer conditions. The benefit to this is that there is more consistent power from summer to winter.

However, you could technically bump up the settings in winter to get similar boost levels you would see in the summer. This would yield significant power gains. However, this will also cause a large difference in power from summer to winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #51
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Negative, that will happen on its own. In fact, you will run lower boost when cold versus hot.
+1

Temps in ny have been crazy and ive been leaving my laptop in the car...somedays were below the 20s and other days were in the 50s. Scalbert is right....on days its cold i have to raise the tq settings and on hot days i have to lower it. Cant wait to see what happens in the summer....ill have 25psi..hehe
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #52
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

Quote:
I disagree, from my datalogs and boost gauge lower tq settings are causing higher boost.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #53
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
I disagree, from my datalogs and boost gauge lower tq settings are causing higher boost.
You lowered them from 90something to 80something and the boost dropped right?

I don't get what you are saying.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #54
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You can disagree, but after numerous logs, monitring the gauge for months and even coming from Shiv himself, boost is still load based. Meaning, it will be lower in cold weather and higher in warm weather.

I even created a thread which discussed this and Shiv confirmed.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #55
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You can disagree, but after numerous logs, monitring the gauge for months and even coming from Shiv himself, boost is still load based. Meaning, it will be lower in cold weather and higher in warm weather.

I even created a thread which discussed this and Shiv confirmed.
Im sorry scalbert your right, I completely read that wrong. Im at work so I quickly glance in and write in between clients and phone calls. I dont know why I was thinking you were saying that colder weather equals lower boost. really what your saying is you can run lower boost in colder weather.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #56
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Okay maybe people are not getting the point. Your not running a simple tune here. V2 isnt simple by any means, this is why the Tq values are implemented in the first place. It allows for you to watch your cars behavior, air temp, octane and adjust accordingly. I think my boost was showing so high before at 94% because the temps in Chicago are in the 10's, 20's, and 30's people in cali are seeing 60,70,80's You have to have a boost gauge so you can figure out how to dial in your correct tq values given your location, temps, and all other factors. I am pleased with the tune.

Just a side note i dont think Shiv is going anywhere, I am in touch with him as is many other procede users, and he has something that he is working on that may change the way you currently feel about him and his product.

Seriously we need to stop the BS tuner wars, we are not getting anywhere like that. I can care less how much money terry, shiv, aa,... make All I care for is my ride being as fast and reliable as possiable. You feel me!

You guys kill me How many times can you fall for "the next release is the one you really want"?

Xede---->Procede---->V2---->V3? Have you ever heard of fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #57
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1 View Post
You guys kill me How many times can you fall for "the next release is the one you really want"?

Xede---->Procede---->V2---->V3? Have you ever heard of fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me?
Sure have, but I have a different perspective on it.

For me, I call it a hobby.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #58
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I haven't been fooled yet! I love my car and it's tune. I can't wait for more features in the next release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1 View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #59
silvrevo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235v 6spd

This is soooooooo funny,

Why did it escape everyone until now that , WE need to look at our boost.

Duh,,,,,, Upping the boost in a turbo car = you need a boost gauge!!!!

Isnt it strange almost everyone over looked this.

And leave Shiv alone, he has alot on his plate. Your going to give the guy a stroke if you dont back off him.

Im looking to hook up my Greddy as soon as a pod becomes avaliable.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #60
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
This is soooooooo funny,

And leave Shiv alone, he has alot on his plate. Your going to give the guy a stroke if you dont back off him.

nice disclaimer...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #61
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
..... So with the cold dense air the car is running with higher boost, Almost like you have NOS beeing sprayed all the time!
not 100% sure but quite certain cooler, denser air would make your car give less boost but the same hp/power.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #62
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
This is soooooooo funny,

Leave Shiv alone? This guy was running 17 to 20psi cause he wasnt looking at a boost gauge and relying on the procede software that seems to be use less these days. If his turbos or motor blew then what? I mean this is a pretty high compression motor for turbos and running 20psi is not smart... Im just not putting the procede anywhere near my car until people are pushing the advertised HP posted by Vishnu and not throwing codes, spikes, and limps if it doesnt happen then i will just sell it. For now i am happy with the JB running 15psi across the rpm band with lowered oil temps and no changes in boost due to the outside temps...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #63
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

maybe I should get it too.. then we can both change our signatures.. down4it, what is your take on the JB2 (and it's other additions)? How does the V2 at 90% compare? Since we only have 91 octane here in SoCal, I would assume the best I can run is JB2HR? (not the double H), also I heard Mr. 5 said that was still too risky at the moment..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #64
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
WTF!!!!!!! I think I am heading for the hills...Screw Procede and this shit! Shiv is no where to be found!!
Unfortunately I am too I believe, I want to see shiv release the downpipe map and everything work perfectly but I'm not waiting anymore. boost gauge will be installed this week and Attache next w their downpipe map which will be finished by then. Custom tuned on their own dyno will always beat an off the shelf map.
      02-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #65
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

hmm.. now I get a choice between Attache and JB2.. but I think the JB2 is cheaper.. haha.. well, at least both seem "better" than the Procede now.. so I'm not going to say anything against either of these..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #66
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
no changes in boost due to the outside temps...
Hrmm, you sure about this? Since Terry is attenuating the TMAP signal to give a raise in boost, it is not a setpoint. I am going to run this by Terry as I was sure it was an adjustment to the signal but could be wrong.
Appreciate 0