E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > JB 3 on track

04-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Freak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

JB 3 on track

Does any one have any suggestions to run JB3 with catless down pipes on track.

It won't be a huge amount of laps, but I am concerned about reliability. My car has only 1500 miles.

Other question is, how bad are oem tires on track?

Cheers

WOT

Last edited by Freak; 04-03-2009 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Does any one have any suggestions to run JB3 with catless down pipes on track.

I won't be a huge amount of laps, but I am concerned about reliability. My car has only 1500 miles.

Other question is, how bad are oem tires on track?

Cheers

WOT
On a road course run the best octane you can, preferably race gas, and keep an eye on water and oil temps. Those tend to be the biggest issues.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Mike - with all due respect, have you tracked the JB3 (or at all, for that matter) extensively?

The claim of water/oil temp limp modes is the commonly sung tune, but isn't entirely accurate.

90% of limp modes (with piggyback tune) that I have seen have nothing to do with oil or water temps. And I have personally seen JB3 go limp on track with 270 oil temps and 220 water temps.

OP - stock tires are decent on track. They are just expensive and you will beat up the outside edges of the front tires if you have stock alignment.

I would have all tools necessary to remove JB3, otherwise you may end up only lasting a few minutes of every 20 minute session.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Mike - with all due respect, have you tracked the JB3 (or at all, for that matter) extensively?

The claim of water/oil temp limp modes is the commonly sung tune, but isn't entirely accurate.

90% of limp modes (with piggyback tune) that I have seen have nothing to do with oil or water temps. And I have personally seen JB3 go limp on track with 270 oil temps and 220 water temps.

OP - stock tires are decent on track. They are just expensive and you will beat up the outside edges of the front tires if you have stock alignment.

I would have all tools necessary to remove JB3, otherwise you may end up only lasting a few minutes of every 20 minute session.
We have quite a few customers that routinely road race, and a few sponsored road race cars running the JB3 (like Berk Technology), so we're pretty familiar with what is involved.

Running high octane fuel and watching out for oil and water temps is pretty sound advice. As is knowing how to engage the stock, or a lower boost map, should the need arise. Which is in the JB3 map selection guide at the bottom of the install directions. None of this exempts you from potential problems on the road course. It's inherently demanding of the car and motor, as you know.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Freak
Enlisted Member
Rep

So basically what your saying is that, I might get some limp modes after 20 minutes sessions. I run 95 Oct gas, but weather is hot down here.

Maybe I will go with low boost tune in order to have no problems. I will try to fit other tires, possibly Ps2s.

Cheers
      04-15-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

if you have JB3, and want to disable it, just switch to map 0, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 02:36 AM   #7
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
if you have JB3, and want to disable it, just switch to map 0, right?
Yes.

I've tracked my JB3 tuned car numerous times. Ever since I got the VK Motorwerks oil cooler upgrade, I haven't had any overheating issues.

I did go limp a couple of times on track before the oil cooler upgrade, with just the factory oil cooler... my oil temp gauge hit about 290 and then limp mode... which actually went away after a cooldown lap without me shutting down the engine.

To keep the engine cooler the rest of the day, I shifted at aroound 6000 RPMs instead of near the redline. I havent had to do that since the oil cooler upgrade.
      04-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

On a track a tune will not help that much if you are a beginner. In some instances the tune could possibly slow you down. My advice is to learn your car on a stock setting. Once you are getting the best possible corner exit speeds then consider increasing your tune.
      04-17-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e9x's View Post
On a track a tune will not help that much if you are a beginner. In some instances the tune could possibly slow you down. My advice is to learn your car on a stock setting. Once you are getting the best possible corner exit speeds then consider increasing your tune.
Wise advice... but its so much more fun with a tune, even if you end up going slower overall
      04-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
kuvesh
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e92 335i juiced

there are quite a few us with jb3 that track at sepang f1 circuit in malaysia. some cars are heavily modded with all the aftermarket parts you can think of while others are close to stock

regardless everyone has over heating problems. the good drivers who push their car to the limit only last 3-4 laps while the novices maybe 4-5.

i dont think these probs are jb3 related, rather just a case of finding something that works better than is currently available in keeping the temps down

HAMANN FRONT APRON, SIDES, ROOF SPOILER & QUAD DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER VRS TRUNK | CSC3 ON 19” ADVAN RS | BREMBO GT BBK | BASTUCK QUAD | KW V2 | JB3 v1.3s beta | BMW PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL | M3 SIDE MIRRORS | M5 SMG SHIFT KNOB | BLACKOUT GRILLS | PARTIALLY SMOKED LIGHTS | WINDOW TINT
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 01:26 AM   #11
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvesh View Post
there are quite a few us with jb3 that track at sepang f1 circuit in malaysia. some cars are heavily modded with all the aftermarket parts you can think of while others are close to stock

regardless everyone has over heating problems. the good drivers who push their car to the limit only last 3-4 laps while the novices maybe 4-5.

i dont think these probs are jb3 related, rather just a case of finding something that works better than is currently available in keeping the temps down
Do you know if any of them had large aftermarket oil coolers? BMW is supposed to be coming out with an auxiliary radiator as well soon.
      04-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

So you guys show 300F + oil temps? Or is it coolant related? Are you guys 6MT or 6AT?

It's really odd that the good guys get limp in 3-4 laps. Unless your good guys are named Mr. L. Hamilton. Even with stock cooler, I was able to run for an entire session without oil/coolant related limp. My oil was just 290+.

The JB3/Procede/Etc. get lots of track related limps. And they often aren't temp related. That said, I have a beta version of V2.1 that I have dialed in to be limp free (16 track days and counting!). I am afraid to change to anything else, to be honest. Even V3 doesn't sound appealing to me because Vishnu wouldn't stand behind their money back guarantee on harness purchases.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:

I'm with Leftcoastman unless you have v1.22 or greater to disable or run low boost. I can trigger a limp mode any time on the track with the exception of the low boost map (Map 1).

I love my Dunlop SS Z1's which I run on 17x8.5" Kosei K1s.

Have fun.
      04-18-2009, 11:50 PM   #14
kuvesh
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e92 335i juiced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Do you know if any of them had large aftermarket oil coolers? BMW is supposed to be coming out with an auxiliary radiator as well soon.
many run the vk oil cooler upgrade and aftermarket intercoolers.

Quote:
So you guys show 300F + oil temps? Or is it coolant related? Are you guys 6MT or 6AT?

It's really odd that the good guys get limp in 3-4 laps. Unless your good guys are named Mr. L. Hamilton. Even with stock cooler, I was able to run for an entire session without oil/coolant related limp. My oil was just 290+.

The JB3/Procede/Etc. get lots of track related limps. And they often aren't temp related. That said, I have a beta version of V2.1 that I have dialed in to be limp free (16 track days and counting!). I am afraid to change to anything else, to be honest. Even V3 doesn't sound appealing to me because Vishnu wouldn't stand behind their money back guarantee on harness purchases.
most have AT or DCT but none are lewis hamilton. maybe our experience is different to yours because of the weather conditions in malaysia - who knows...

HAMANN FRONT APRON, SIDES, ROOF SPOILER & QUAD DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER VRS TRUNK | CSC3 ON 19” ADVAN RS | BREMBO GT BBK | BASTUCK QUAD | KW V2 | JB3 v1.3s beta | BMW PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL | M3 SIDE MIRRORS | M5 SMG SHIFT KNOB | BLACKOUT GRILLS | PARTIALLY SMOKED LIGHTS | WINDOW TINT
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
many run the vk oil cooler upgrade and aftermarket intercoolers.

most have AT or DCT but none are lewis hamilton. maybe our experience is different to yours because of the weather conditions in malaysia - who knows...

That's your problem right there. AT overheats waaaaaay easier than MT. I don't know enough about DCT to comment.
Appreciate 0