E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Got my boost gauge installed and working right...crazy sh*t!

02-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

Got my boost gauge installed and working right...crazy sh*t!

So today I get my gauge installed and working right, me and nick take the car out for a spin and I notice that the boost gauge is holding boost at 17-almost 20psi!!! I was running the low boost map at 94%. I kept getting limps and SES lights. Now I know why. I cant stress enough, if you have V2, Please hook up a boost gauge to see whats up. I turned everything down to 80% and then I got about 13-14.5psi. The datalogs were only showing me 13-14psi. Once again, if your running V2 get a gauge!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Chi- When the Datalogs were showing you 13-14psi was that when you were dialed back down at 80% or at 94%. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

EVERYONE that tunes a turbo car needs a boost gauge...

The fact that this is happening just goes to show you can "trust" your tuner, but you still need to VERIFY the results... or else damage may occur

I know of a nice gauge kit that is currently being developed...

or... buy a gauge seperate, and my pod... keep the gauge hooked up temporary until you get the pod, and then when the pod comes, make it look good
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

WTF!!!!!!! I think I am heading for the hills...Screw Procede and this shit! Shiv is no where to be found!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
EVERYONE that tunes a turbo car needs a boost gauge...

The fact that this is happening just goes to show you can "trust" your tuner, but you still need to VERIFY the results... or else damage may occur

or... buy a gauge seperate, and my pod... keep the gauge hooked up temporary until you get the pod, and then when the pod comes, make it look good
Whats the ETA of your guage being delivered..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

I think anyone with Dp should really watch they boost...I am going to wait until everything is ironed out here before I even go ahead with the DPs....This shit is crazy and ofcourse Shiv is no where to be found, but Dustin is looking for a free ride to Seattle to do installs so he can pay for his room and board!!...That shit is funny!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
FI Car enthusiast (formerly banned 335boosted)
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
WTF!!!!!!! I think I am heading for the hills...Screw Procede and this shit! Shiv is no where to be found!!

Well said, people are getting screwed left and right and Vishnu is not helping half the people having issues, those levels are gonna be dangerous if running your car hard on a weekly basis for those baby turbos!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

This is why the reader not reading properly is a huge issue. People don't know any better and put blind faith in the vishnu crew. If only shiv had started looking into it when I brought it up MONTHS ago instead of claiming I was full of it and just trying to discredit him.
      02-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
FI Car enthusiast (formerly banned 335boosted)
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
This is why the reader not reading properly is a huge issue. People don't know any better and put blind faith in the vishnu crew. If only shiv had started looking into it when I brought it up MONTHS ago instead of claiming I was full of it and just trying to discredit him.
+1, he put anyone down that went against his ideal or his product and now look, he has disappeared............

SHIV: hello EVO and STI community, once again
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
i wonder how shiv can release, or get ready to release a new evo tune based on a 2 year bmw tune that still has so many problems?

that really boogles the imagination

i hate to say it, but one of these days, someone is going to take a bat and do some serious batting practice on his lambo.

Last edited by midlife; 02-27-2008 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #11
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post

Make it right hand drive and I will order several.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #12
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

i had the mechanical boost gauge and hooked up the way Mr. 5 did, but now I have my digital and connected them to the same wires but it's only ON when I turn the headlight on or it's off. So people with boost gauge, where do you guys tap the yellow and red wires? Digital boost gauge is FTW, easy to read, it's hard to tell if it's 14, 15, or 16 psi with mechanical gauge w/o peak hold
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:19 AM   #13
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
i had the mechanical boost gauge and hooked up the way Mr. 5 did, but now I have my digital and connected them to the same wires but it's only ON when I turn the headlight on or it's off. So people with boost gauge, where do you guys tap the yellow and red wires? Digital boost gauge is FTW, easy to read, it's hard to tell if it's 14, 15, or 16 psi with mechanical gauge w/o peak hold
Screw that, tell me what you tapped to get a headlight switched power in the cabin.

I tapped the fuse box for the ignition switched power.
      02-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #14
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

Okay maybe people are not getting the point. Your not running a simple tune here. V2 isnt simple by any means, this is why the Tq values are implemented in the first place. It allows for you to watch your cars behavior, air temp, octane and adjust accordingly. I think my boost was showing so high before at 94% because the temps in Chicago are in the 10's, 20's, and 30's people in cali are seeing 60,70,80's You have to have a boost gauge so you can figure out how to dial in your correct tq values given your location, temps, and all other factors. I am pleased with the tune.

Just a side note i dont think Shiv is going anywhere, I am in touch with him as is many other procede users, and he has something that he is working on that may change the way you currently feel about him and his product.

Seriously we need to stop the BS tuner wars, we are not getting anywhere like that. I can care less how much money terry, shiv, aa,... make All I care for is my ride being as fast and reliable as possiable. You feel me!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:27 AM   #15
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

yellow to radio red/gray wire
red to cigarette lighter

this worked with mechanical gauge
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #16
rambino
M Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown335i View Post
Okay maybe people are not getting the point. Your not running a simple tune here. V2 isnt simple by any means, this is why the Tq values are implemented in the first place. It allows for you to watch your cars behavior, air temp, octane and adjust accordingly. I think my boost was showing so high before at 94% because the temps in Chicago are in the 10's, 20's, and 30's people in cali are seeing 60,70,80's You have to have a boost gauge so you can figure out how to dial in your correct tq values given your location, temps, and all other factors. I am pleased with the tune.

Just a side note i dont think Shiv is going anywhere, I am in touch with him as is many other procede users, and he has something that he is working on that may change the way you currently feel about him and his product.

Seriously we need to stop the BS tuner wars, we are not getting anywhere like that. I can care less how much money terry, shiv, aa,... make All I care for is my ride being as fast and reliable as possiable. You feel me!

I feel ya bro!..

BTW people, Chitown has downpipes and other mods that are not meant for the stock tune. So him seeing spikes like that is not unusual. The safe way would to be to wait for a proper tune for what you have.. whenever that may be..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 06:30 AM   #17
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Interesting information. This may shed some light on issues experienced by forum members. thanks OP.
      02-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #18
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
it's hard to tell if it's 14, 15, or 16 psi with mechanical gauge w/o peak hold
Its not that bad....
      02-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #19
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Interesting information. This may shed some light on issues experienced by forum members. thanks OP.

Maybe more boost gauges need to be out there to truly understand what is going on in the engine. Maybe with V2 it needs to be part of the install
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #20
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown335i View Post

Agreed, he is working on this (and being tested by some) as an immediate potential solution or at least, limiting the dramatic high boost. In addition, an even greater solution which should finally put all issues like this to rest. I have had many voice conversations with him in the last week and things are proactive on their handling of this matter.

Now, I cannot speak for him but perhaps he is now doing what perhaps he should have been doing all along, staying off forum discussions. You can reach them if you need help through typical channels; their submission form or call and leave a message. A forum is about users and everyone trying to help each other out. If someone had a problem with a Dinan flash, would they come here and post a message asking Dinan to help them? I know historically Vishnu has come here to help, maybe that was a bad idea to start that precedence?

Anyway, Chitown335i glad to see you finally have a gauge and are now under control.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #21
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Maybe with V2 it needs to be part of the install
Actually, that is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #22
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If only shiv had started looking into it when I brought it up MONTHS ago instead of claiming I was full of it and just trying to discredit him.
What, I got you beat by at least two months and was trying new maps until I got side tracked during and after the holidays. Blame me for not continuing with this sooner as a solution could have already been had.
Appreciate 0